Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I just received a Argon case with the M.2 board. The firmware currently being used supports unmap trim now out of the box.
    Which firmware are you speaking of? The one of the Argon case (if there is any) or the Pi 4 firmware?
    What do we have to do to use trim?
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Which firmware are you speaking of? The one of the Argon case (if there is any) or the Pi 4 firmware?
    What do we have to do to use trim?
    The firmware on the M.2 controller. I'm not sure how to read the firmware version from the board without the board programming software. The board serial number is reported in dmesg. Mine is serial number E3 (Which is 227 in decimal) So I would imagine that if you have a serial number higher than mine, it will be fine. Otherwise you will need to upgrade your firmware, as chill had commented on earlier.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

I was looking at the script, there is no reason to have a dependency on vcgencmd to get the temperature.

Find these lines
    Code:
    temp = os.popen("vcgencmd measure_temp").readline()
    temp = temp.replace("temp=","")
    val = float(temp.replace("'C",""))
    and replace with
    Code:
    file = open('/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp', 'r')
    temp = file.readline()
    file.close()
    val = float(temp) / 1000
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

The firmware on the M.2 controller.
    Ah, Ok. I am not using the M.2 case for piCorePlayer. I am using it for Home Assistant.
    Also the Music for piCorePlayer is on a read only SSD as it has a HFS+ filesystem. So TRIM will be used when I am copying the data from my Mac to this SSD. But it didn't work because the Mac does not use TRIM for USB drives.
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

I was looking at the script, there is no reason to have a dependency on vcgencmd to get the temperature.
    Oh, this is great. So I will look into it in a few days to see what this means to my installation docs on the webpage.
    Thank you for this addition!
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

I am using the non-M.2 version of the Argon One case and I decided that the fan was not worth using for piCorePlayer.

The case itself dropped the temperature 10 or 12 degrees so it will probably never get to the point of needing to turning on the fan. Sydney had a relatively cool summer this year, so I will have to wait till the end of the year for further tests. I may occasionally get close to 40 degrees ambient in my house so the CPU may get close to 60 degrees on the odd occasion.

The fan at 100% dropped the temperature about 5 or 6 degrees but was audible from my listening chair.

I am only using piCorePlayer as a player and using sox to upsample, so no big load.

Is anyone actually getting the fan to turn on just using piCorePlayer?

Has anyone noted the temperature rise due to running the python script and the extra current draw of the fan?

Does the SSD on the M.2 model generate a significant amount of heat?

Does CPU throttling actually affect the operation of piCorePlayer?

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Ah, Ok. I am not using the M.2 case for piCorePlayer. I am using it for Home Assistant.
    Also the Music for piCorePlayer is on a read only SSD as it has a HFS+ filesystem. So TRIM will be used when I am copying the data from my Mac to this SSD. But it didn't work because the Mac does not use TRIM for USB drives.
    Is this any help ?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/installi...-trim-mistake/

I know it might not work for external drives but you should be able to find out.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...n-external-ssd

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Is this any help?
    I already had "sudo trimforce enable" done after installation of the Mac. The internal NVMe drive (with an adapter to Apple SSD format) uses TRIM, an external drive connected to Thunderbolt also uses TRIM, but all USB 3/3.1 drives are not using TRIM.
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk