Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

bcm2708_fb soc error

I have this at the moment (running dmesg):

[ 0.638437] bcm2708_fb soc:fb: Unable to determine number of FBs. Disabling driver.
    [ 0.638450] bcm2708_fb: probe of soc:fb failed with error -2

ls -l /dev/fb*
    crw--w--w- 1 root root 29, 0 Dec 19 16:18 /dev/fb0

Running:
    piCorePlayer v7.0.0 (32 Bit) | linux 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7l | Squeezelite v1.9.8-1294
    RPi4 (Firmware:000138a1) with 1 Gb of RAM - DAC HAT configured as HiFiBerry DAC+ (and Pro, AMP2)

What's wrong?
    Last edited by seekasoul; 2020-12-31 at 03:53.

I have tried a few more things the last few days, unfortunately nothing has worked. Libreelec I also installed in between to see how they solved it, there it works. Unfortunately I could not find anything significant in the config.txt. For now I give up and stay with version 6.1, I simply lack the necessary and deep knowledge to contribute to a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by seekasoul View Post
    I have this at the moment (running dmesg):

[ 0.638437] bcm2708_fb soc:fb: Unable to determine number of FBs. Disabling driver.
    [ 0.638450] bcm2708_fb: probe of soc:fb failed with error -2

ls -l /dev/fb*
    crw--w--w- 1 root root 29, 0 Dec 19 16:18 /dev/fb0

Running:
    piCorePlayer v7.0.0 (32 Bit) | linux 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7l | Squeezelite v1.9.8-1294
    RPi4 (Firmware:000138a1) with 1 Gb of RAM - DAC HAT configured as HiFiBerry DAC+ (and Pro, AMP2)

What's wrong?
    Error message are common as hardware and drivers may not be present at the time the firmware/overlays cause the kernel to probe the driver. What are you looking for?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BitStream View Post
    I have tried a few more things the last few days, unfortunately nothing has worked. Libreelec I also installed in between to see how they solved it, there it works. Unfortunately I could not find anything significant in the config.txt. For now I give up and stay with version 6.1, I simply lack the necessary and deep knowledge to contribute to a solution.
    You are getting both HDMI and the 7" display with Libreelec? Pretty sure LibreElec is already on kernel 5.10. It is also often Libreelec is using patches that are provided by rpi for them to do testing with before releasing the patches in their channels. A better test case would be Raspi-OS.
    Last edited by paul-; 2021-01-01 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Error message are common as hardware and drivers may not be present at the time the firmware/overlays cause the kernel to probe the driver. What are you looking for?
    My idea is to understand the reason for the error(s). I know some cosmetic bugs can still be there without causing any issues.

Why is Sample Format default set to 32?

Hi

I may well be misunderstanding this, but I wondered why, when you select HDMI output, the Squeezelite sample format defaults to 32 - Signed 32 bit Big Endian. Reading this and checking with alsacap, it looks like the max sample format is S16_LE. So, shouldn't the default for HDMI be 16, not 32? Or, am I mixing 2 different things up?

Thanks

pete S

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Lets move this over here.

RPi has made a lot of changes in HDMI Audio. Its really hard to trackdown without hardware to play with. Note the kms driver will only currently work on the 32bit kernels.

(...)
    Welcome back.
    I've verified this soultion and it works with version pcp 8.0 on RPI3. I didn't check it with 7.0.
    The chosen Output setting should be

iec958:CARD=vc4hdmi,DEV=0

EDIT: but the problem that I have now is that even if the audio works properly now, the screen goes to HDMI and not to RPI Touch Screen.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by bogasman; 2021-11-21 at 08:27. Reason: another issue

Posting information about pCP8 in a pCP7 thread is not helpful to folks searching.

Here are a few posts in the pCP8 thread that should help you

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1029240

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1031023