Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

simple portable player

has anyone made a simple portable Squeezbox radio?
    Something like the original radio but smaller (and poorer sound quality). I am thinking something like a Robert Stream radio but able to access all the Squeezebox music and online radios streams. I realise there are systems running on pi's I wonder if anyone has made a portable system based on these?
    BTW sorry of this has already been done, just havent found it yet!

Mike
    In the uK

Quote Originally Posted by mpbarrett View Post
    has anyone made a simple portable Squeezbox radio?
    Something like the original radio but smaller (and poorer sound quality). I am thinking something like a Robert Stream radio but able to access all the Squeezebox music and online radios streams. I realise there are systems running on pi's I wonder if anyone has made a portable system based on these?
    BTW sorry of this has already been done, just havent found it yet!

Mike
    In the uK
    Look for squeezelite-esp32 here in the forums. Some have built their own variants with little electronics knowledge with two commonly found modules: an ESP32 WROVER dev board coupled with an i2s headphone DAC. from there, you can integrate that into pretty much anything (I've seen headphones, etc).

Alternatively, check SqueezeAmp. It is an all in one solution that even has battery charging controller built in. I have made two portable sets already. Hide the SqueezeAmp and battery inside on one speaker (connecting the speaker from inside the enclosure), and use the freed up terminal to feed the 2nd speaker. Want a single box? Just screw both enclosures together.

There are several benefits to this, including super fast boot to playback time (6 seconds or so), AirPlay and Bluetooth also supported. The esp32 can also be used without external devices; squeezelite-esp32 supports sending audio to an external Bluetooth speaker.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    6xSqueezeAmp!
    Contributing to Folding@Home : https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/squeezelite-esp32

Did you already looked at Airplay 1 bases devices?
    These are cheap to get since eveyone is switching to Bluetooth or Sonos. Combined with the Airplay bridge plugin you van have perfectly fine and cheap (portable) players. Ik have 5 players, all airplay bases and not a single Apple device in my house 😀.

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    Want a single box? Just screw both enclosures together.
    Was trying to find a "donor" speaker to do something like this with, but didn't consider merely screwing a pair together. Could fit something between them to house a small screen and a volume control, perhaps. At that point, I've pretty much built a boom box!

Looked at home cinema centre speakers, but you tend to get a single tweeter and I want a portable stereo.
    Looked at various soundbars, but they're probably not quite the right "form factor" [too wide and thin].
    Small "practise amps"? Like the rugged portability but again not stereo. Not too cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinisoft
    Did you already looked at Airplay 1 bases devices?
    Do they sync audio with "native" LMS players? Any example model names? Searching eBay for "airplay" gives me a whole heap of results, of which I assume many are irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by troffasky View Post
    Do they sync audio with "native" LMS players? Any example model names? Searching eBay for "airplay" gives me a whole heap of results, of which I assume many are irrelevant.
    Yes they Sync with native or software based players. But be aware that this is unique for Airplay, there are plugins for other renderers like UPNP/DLNA but I would advice against those because they don't sync. In general every Airplay 1 based device should do fine. I only have devices that are connected to the Mains but portable Airplay devices should do fine as well. Ik have 2x Denon AVR1912, 2x JBL Soundfly Air, 1x Sony hcd-g2nip, and 1x Philips Fidelio AD7000W all Working without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinisoft View Post
    Yes they Sync with native or software based players. But be aware that this is unique for Airplay, there are plugins for other renderers like UPNP/DLNA but I would advice against those because they don't sync. In general every Airplay 1 based device should do fine. I only have devices that are connected to the Mains but portable Airplay devices should do fine as well. Ik have 2x Denon AVR1912, 2x JBL Soundfly Air, 1x Sony hcd-g2nip, and 1x Philips Fidelio AD7000W all Working without issues.
    I use a Libratone Zipp in Airplay mode as a portable speaker. Itís rather good.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

I've recently ordered but not yet received an old Sony SA-NS510 - Airplay (and UPnP-AV).
    Has a rechargeable battery (5 hours when it was new).
    I suspect that it will be missing the power brick and remote control - but am hoping it still sounds OK and is not too scratched ... 27GBP including shipping.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I use a Libratone Zipp in Airplay mode as a portable speaker. It’s rather good.
    Can you play in "normal mode" your LMS which is connect to the speakers and add this portable speaker to place it in another room ?
    I like to have the music played in the living room trough my amplifier and have a remote speaker (synced) playing in the kitchen or garden
    Last edited by madpatrick; 2020-12-30 at 09:16.
    -
    Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I use a Libratone Zipp in Airplay mode as a portable speaker. Itís rather good.
    How good is the Alexa in that thing with LMS? Does streaming work ok?

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    How good is the Alexa in that thing with LMS? Does streaming work ok?
    Pre dates Alexa so canít answer.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS