Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Music Library on USB HDD - won't rescan/update

This is my first Rpi audio experience (and my first post here). I installed lhe latest version of piCore on a RPi4 feeding directly into Edifier speakers. Music library is on USB connected HDD. Initially everything worked just fine. Then I removed HDD and loaded additional music on to it. However, upon reconnecting and rebooting, only the original music is available to play. I can see the additional music on the HDD via LMS. I have tried rebooting, rescanning, but nothing changes. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    This is my first Rpi audio experience (and my first post here). I installed lhe latest version of piCore on a RPi4 feeding directly into Edifier speakers. Music library is on USB connected HDD. Initially everything worked just fine. Then I removed HDD and loaded additional music on to it. However, upon reconnecting and rebooting, only the original music is available to play. I can see the additional music on the HDD via LMS. I have tried rebooting, rescanning, but nothing changes. Any ideas?
    did you open LMS that is running on the rPi and do a rescan of your HDD? I suspect not.

1. When you remove and reconnect the HDD to the rPi, make sure the rPi is stopped before removing the HDD and make sure the HDD is reattached before restarting the rPi.
    2. After rPi is running again, in a webbrowser, go to the LMS running on the rPi (this will be the address: http://192.168.x.xxx:9000
    where 192.168.x.xxx is the IP address of the rPi.
    3. When LMS opens in your webbrowswer, click on SETTINGS (lower right). Then on the "basic settings" tab, RESCAN your media library, using the "look for new and changed media files" option from the menu there.
    4. After the scan is complete, you should see all your newly added music files.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    did you open LMS that is running on the rPi and do a rescan of your HDD? I suspect not.

1. When you remove and reconnect the HDD to the rPi, make sure the rPi is stopped before removing the HDD and make sure the HDD is reattached before restarting the rPi.
    2. After rPi is running again, in a webbrowser, go to the LMS running on the rPi (this will be the address: http://192.168.x.xxx:9000
    where 192.168.x.xxx is the IP address of the rPi.
    3. When LMS opens in your webbrowswer, click on SETTINGS (lower right). Then on the "basic settings" tab, RESCAN your media library, using the "look for new and changed media files" option from the menu there.
    4. After the scan is complete, you should see all your newly added music files.
    Did exactly that - multiple times - expecting the result you mention but nothing

The only thing that occurs to me is that I may have pulled the USB before powering off the RPi (bad habit, I know).

EDIT: I subsequently removed the HDD (safely), attached it without issue to a Linux Mint laptop, verified that all expected files were on it, safely removed it again and reconnected it to RPi using same USB port as I removed it from, powered up, re-scanned and ... no change.
    Last edited by jimbobs; 2020-12-27 at 15:20.

Its likely a permissions issue with the drive. Make sure the folders and files on the drive are writable by the user "tc"

There is a button by the mounts section on pCP that should set the ownership if the drive is connected.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Its likely a permissions issue with the drive. Make sure the folders and files on the drive are writable by the user "tc"

There is a button by the mounts section on pCP that should set the ownership if the drive is connected.
    That was it. Thanks.