Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Composer superseding Artist?

I'm in the process of re-ripping my CDs to FLAC, especially the ones that I still had as 128kbps MP3 with ID3v1 tags. But I've noticed that when I include Composer tags in the files, the album listing in LMS (e.g. under New Music) just shows the composers for the artist, and doesn't show the Artist I tagged all that album's files with. I can work around it by adding an Albumartist tag, but why does Composer seem to supersede Artist?
    Last edited by rfunk; 2020-12-27 at 11:37.
    library: 22600 MP3, 7000 FLAC
    active hardware: Transporter SE, Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom
    sometimes casting to: 3 x ChromeCast Audio, Nest Mini
    spares: Squeezebox Radio, 3 x Squeezebox 3/Classic, SliMP3

It looks like BAND also takes precedence over ARTIST in the album listing, which is also inconvenient, but at least it makes a little more sense than COMPOSER. I guess I just have to get in the habit of using ALBUMARTIST, though in cases like splits (two bands dividing up an album), ALBUMARTIST causes other problems.
    active hardware: Transporter SE, Squeezebox Touch, 2 x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom

Quote Originally Posted by rfunk View Post
    It looks like BAND also takes precedence over ARTIST in the album listing, which is also inconvenient, but at least it makes a little more sense than COMPOSER. I guess I just have to get in the habit of using ALBUMARTIST, though in cases like splits (two bands dividing up an album), ALBUMARTIST causes other problems.
    Have you made any changes at LMS > Settings > My Music?

Name:  My Music.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  73.6 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Have you made any changes at LMS > Settings > My Music?
    I turned on Composer and Band/Orchestra in the second item, which seems like a likely cause. But I did that so that I can, as the info tooltip says, have them "in the artists list for browsing and search". I don't expect them to supersede the artists in the album lists.

Name:  lms-artistconfig.png
Views: 131
Size:  139.4 KB

I turned on Composer and Band/Orchestra in the second item, which seems like a likely cause. But I did that so that I can, as the info tooltip says, have them "in the artists list for browsing and search". I don't expect them to supersede the artists in the album lists.

It is probably related to the setting below; ‘treat tpe2 mp3 tag as band’. Maybe change that to ‘treat tpe2 mp3 tag as album artist’ and see if that shows the expected results.
    Living: EtherRegen -> Ultrarendu -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2 -> ATC SCM19 v2 & Sennheiser HD650
    Kitchen: SB Touch -> Audio Pro Addon T10 gen2
    Kids rooms: SB Booms
    Bedroom: SB Boom & SB Radio
    Controls: iPeng, Material Skin & LMS via internet
    Server: Windows 10 Pro with LMS 7.9.3
    Spare: 2 SB Touch, 1 SB3, 2 SB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfiction View Post
    It is probably related to the setting below; ‘treat tpe2 mp3 tag as band’. Maybe change that to ‘treat tpe2 mp3 tag as album artist’ and see if that shows the expected results.
    That doesn't make sense to me, since I'm talking about flac files; TPE2 means nothing there.

(Besides, all my MP3 files treat TPE2 as band not album artist.)

At some point I may give up and try to rewrite the handling of flac artist-like tags to my liking (e.g. separate album artist handling from song artist handling, add performer to songs), but I fear that may require database changes. Now that I'm transitioning to flac, the mp3-centrism feels confining.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

I don't think you need to tick that Composer box. You can certainly have a Composer list without it and if you use two lists for Artists (Album Artists and All Artists) I think the Composers appear under All Artists.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

That doesn't make sense to me, since I'm talking about flac files; TPE2 means nothing there.

(Besides, all my MP3 files treat TPE2 as band not album artist.)

At some point I may give up and try to rewrite the handling of flac artist-like tags to my liking (e.g. separate album artist handling from song artist handling, add performer to songs), but I fear that may require database changes. Now that I'm transitioning to flac, the mp3-centrism feels confining.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
    Did you try? I am not sure that it only is related to mp3 files...
    Living: EtherRegen -> Ultrarendu -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2 -> ATC SCM19 v2 & Sennheiser HD650
    Kitchen: SB Touch -> Audio Pro Addon T10 gen2
    Kids rooms: SB Booms
    Bedroom: SB Boom & SB Radio
    Controls: iPeng, Material Skin & LMS via internet
    Server: Windows 10 Pro with LMS 7.9.3
    Spare: 2 SB Touch, 1 SB3, 2 SB Radio

Try Material Skin plugin.