Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 82 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

How to add kernel modules - Inno-maker 3.5" LCD touchscreen

I've bought a 3.5" capacitive touchscreen (this one). I was attracted to this particular screen because it was relatively cheap (I paid ú27, although it now seems to be unavailable), and it has a built-in RTC, which may prove useful for a planned install where network time won't always be available.

It has drivers for kernel 5.4.83, so I'm trying to get it working under pCP7.0.1. The problem I have is that the install script that Inno-maker have supplied assumes a standard linux distribution, where kernel modules are in conventional storage, and I'm struggling to replicate what the script does because the kernel modules in pCP are all stored in modules-5.4.83-pcpCore-v8.gz on the boot partition.

The install script uses 'sudo install -p -m 664' to attempt to install the following files:

1) lcd35_spi.dtbo into /boot/overlays
    2) ft6236.ko into /lib/modules/5.4.83-pcpCore-v8/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen
    3) ili9486-i2c into /lib/modules/5.4.83-pcpCore-v8/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen
    4) fbtft.ko into /lib/modules/5.4.83-pcpCore-v8/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft
    5) fb_ili9486.ko into /lib/modules/5.4.83-pcpCore-v8/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft

I can do (1) by manually copying lcd35_spi.dtbo into the overlays folder on the boot partition. I'm not sure about the difference between 'sudo install' and just copying the file, but this seems to work, since I can see output on the screen during boot (albeit rather garbled - see below).

(4) and (5) already seem to be present at the correct points in the path.

So that leaves (2) and (3). How can I accomplish the same result under pCP7?

If I need to add those files to modules-5.4.83-pcpCore-v8.gz, how do I do that? I've struggled with tar and gzip but haven't managed to make a new version of that file that works.

Is there an alternative procedure for installing 'user' kernel modules?

The screen almost works. The display is visible, and Jivelite works - I can even use the touch function to navigate (just about). But as you can see the image is repeating, as though it's not scanning correctly for the 480x320 resolution. I don't know if this is because of the two .ko files that I haven't been able to install, or some other reason, so any advice will be welcomed.

Name:  inno800.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  204.8 KB

EDIT: Evidently 'install' just does a few things in one command - nothing that can't be accomplished manually.
    Code:
    install
    BusyBox v1.31.1 (2020-12-18 22:25:41 EST) multi-call binary.

Usage: install [-cdDsp] [-o USER] [-g GRP] [-m MODE] [-t DIR] [SOURCE]... DEST

Copy files and set attributes

-c	Just copy (default)
    	-d	Create directories
    	-D	Create leading target directories
    	-s	Strip symbol table
    	-p	Preserve date
    	-o USER	Set ownership
    	-g GRP	Set group ownership
    	-m MODE	Set permissions
    	-t DIR	Install to DIR
    Last edited by chill; 2021-03-05 at 04:17.

The display modules are already in graphics-5.4.83-pcpCore-v8. Loading jivelite will load these modules. So if they are using patched versions, you will need to remove these the graphics modules from the dependency list..

-----

Do you really need them in the initrd? You can just make an extension with the two files if you want.

But to answer your question, the initrd is a gzipped cpio archive.

Create you directory structure in a temp directory. i.e. /tmp/myinitrd/lib/modules/.........

Then change to /tmp/myinitrd
    Code:
    find | sudo cpio -o -H newc > gzip -9 myinitrd.gz
    Then you can copy your file to the boot drive. Then you can just add you initrd. It's just a comma delimited list of initrd's to load. Keep the name small, as the list can only be 80 characters long.

- or -

Just for you knowledge, you can concatenate initrd.

Code:
    cat modules-5.4.83-pcpCore-v8.gz myinitrd.gz > new_modules-5.4.83-pcpCore-v8.gz
    Then just rename the files.
    Last edited by paul-; 2021-03-05 at 09:06.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thanks Paul - that's very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Do you really need them in the initrd?
    I assumed they were needed at boot, but that's because I'm a bit out of my depth here! I didn't think of using a separate extension - would those files be available at the right time?

Thanks for the pointer about the files already being available. I assume you were referring only to (4) and (5), fbtft.ko and fb_ili9486.ko. I guess I need to check whether the Inno versions are the same, and figure out how to replace them if they're not.

They would be needed at boot to see boot screens. But screens like the pirate audio are in extensions, they just come up a bit later in the boot process.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

"Mount Remote Network Share" disabled

Hello,

I recently installed piCorePlayer LMS and it works fine. Thanks.
    I would like to Mount Remote Network Share (listen the music stored on my NAS Synology with pCP LMS) but it's impossible to edit something : all the fields, checkboxes and buttons are disabled (see screenshot)

Name:  pCP-SetupNetworkDiskMount.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  78.3 KB

I don't understand why.

The install is the following :
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v7.0.0 | www v00011 | linux 5.4.83-pcpCore | piCore v12.0pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.8-1287-pCP

Where should I look ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiveluc View Post
    I don't understand why.
    Look at the last line of your screenshot: "Mounting network drives requires extra file system support"!

A little bit above on the page you can find the part: "Install and Enable additional File Systems". There you have to press the first button. That's all. :-)
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Look at the last line of your screenshot: "Mounting network drives requires extra file system support"!

A little bit above on the page you can find the part: "Install and Enable additional File Systems". There you have to press the first button. That's all. :-)
    Hi,
    Thank you for your help.
    So I installed the extra filesystems (even though the NAS is in ext4 and root partition of pCP too).
    And now I can edit the fields ! (It was necessary to reboot pCP before).
    Thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by jiveluc View Post
    even though the NAS is in ext4 and root partition of pCP too
    That is an often heard misunderstanding of a NAS. It is totally uninteresting which filesystem the NAS uses internally. It can be anything.
    Externally the NAS normally uses SMB which is a defined protocol for giving file information (folders, files size etc.) and files. There is no real filesystem!

Great that it works now!
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Quote Originally Posted by ashceryth View Post
    Also tried with a Digi+ (non Pro) now. Same results...

EDIT: My IQaudio DigiAMP+ also on RPi 3B+ with same WiFi adapter works fine with 192kHz.

EDIT2: With the Digi+ Pro I seem to have issues with 96kHz (set the Qobuz plugin to 24bit/96kHz) too as it stutters from time to time. For comparison, I connected the FiiO via USB and it plays even 24/192 flawlessly.
    In case anyone having the same issue: The problems were caused by my USB WiFi adapter. Switching to Pi integrated WiFi solved the issue completely!
    2x Squeezebox Radio| piCorePlayer with IQaudIO DigiAMP+ | piCorePlayer with HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro | piCorePlayer with touch screen and USB DAC

I'm still trying to sort out the problems I am having with Jivelite on piCorePlayer 7.0.1 on a Pi with a touchscreen and am digging deeper. I found an issue unrelated to that that I thought might be useful to note here.

I suspect that the "setup" utility you can run for piCorePlayer from the command line is not fully functional, and indeed, there's a warning that it may not be up to date that I saw, so this is less a complaint than a report.

I have a dedicated "media" SSID that is a hidden SSID with a WPA PSK.

Using the "setup" utility with a keyboard plugged in, I set the SSID and PSK and rebooted. I was unable to connect to my media wireless network.

Using the Web GUI to configure wireless (via a wired connection), I got it to connect, and copied the resulting wpa_supplicant.conf file off.

I then started completely from scratch and burned a new image to the SD card, and copied that wpa_supplicant.conf file to the SD card as documented.

That worked. There are configuration elements in the supplicant as configured by the Web GUI that aren't configured by "setup", but I haven't tested to see which elements are critical.