Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan99 View Post
    Thanks. Once it is connected to home network do you access it from desktop PC or something? I would need to install LMS.
    I'm in Cheshire (Sandbach) - if you get stuck I'll build one for you at cost. It really is simple though.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I'm in Cheshire (Sandbach) - if you get stuck I'll build one for you at cost. It really is simple though.
    Thanks. Hopefully, I should alright as I have got instructions now and fairly tech savvy - just never got into this side of things that much. When I set up the SQB and Synology then it all worked and not had to touch it since. Must remember to document what I do so I have a clue in case it needs tweaking in the future!

Not far away from you.....between Macclesfield and Congleton!

Thanks. Hopefully, I should alright as I have got instructions now and fairly tech savvy - just never got into this side of things that much. When I set up the SQB and Synology then it all worked and not had to touch it since. Must remember to document what I do so I have a clue in case it needs tweaking in the future!

Not far away from you.....between Macclesfield and Congleton!
    Tips.
    1) use piCorePlayer - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/
    2) build the Pi WITH existing LMS still running - when you boot it will appear as a new player in LMS called "piCorePlayer" from the LMS/ Settings/Information you can find its IP address. This way you won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the Pi - just an ethernet cable and saves faffing around with Advanced IP scanner or similar.
    3) Fix the Pi's IP address outside the DHCP range or give it a reserved IP and reboot.
    4) Then follow the install LMS instructions - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/install_lms/
    5) Mount the Synology share - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/
    6) After the new LMS is up and running you can a) switch off Squeezelite on the Pi and b) switch off LMS on Synology

The biggest problem you are likely to run into is file permissions but that is usually easily fixed.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Tips.
    1) use piCorePlayer - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/
    2) build the Pi WITH existing LMS still running - when you boot it will appear as a new player in LMS called "piCorePlayer" from the LMS/ Settings/Information you can find its IP address. This way you won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the Pi - just an ethernet cable and saves faffing around with Advanced IP scanner or similar.
    3) Fix the Pi's IP address outside the DHCP range or give it a reserved IP and reboot.
    4) Then follow the install LMS instructions - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/install_lms/
    5) Mount the Synology share - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/
    6) After the new LMS is up and running you can a) switch off Squeezelite on the Pi and b) switch off LMS on Synology

The biggest problem you are likely to run into is file permissions but that is usually easily fixed.
    Thanks. The situation has changed a bit in that I have also decided to replace the Synology NAS with a new one! So, I will be starting from scratch.

Thanks. The situation has changed a bit in that I have also decided to replace the Synology NAS with a new one! So, I will be starting from scratch.
    If you can spend bit more and get NAS which supports docker you can run everything from NAS without Raspberry Pi..
    Some would say RPi 4 will give you better performance but personally I'm happy with "snappines" of docker LMS on my DS218+.
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    If you can spend bit more and get NAS which supports docker you can run everything from NAS without Raspberry Pi..
    Some would say RPi 4 will give you better performance but personally I'm happy with "snappines" of docker LMS on my DS218+.
    The one I have gone for is the DS218play. This is not in the list of NASs that show as supported on Docker webpage. I wonder if it will work, though, or is it just the DS218+

The one I have gone for is the DS218play. This is not in the list of NASs that show as supported on Docker webpage. I wonder if it will work, though, or is it just the DS218+
    If it is not on Synology's list, it probably won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by pputzer View Post
    If it is not on Synology's list, it probably won't work.
    No, seems like it has the "wrong" processor!

I'm not sure, generally you want NAS with Intel CPU for docker..DS218 Play has Arm cpu I think so probably not good. (but like I said I'm not sure )

Tbh comparing price difference between Ds218 play and plus (ds220+) it's roughly same what raspberry pi4 setup would cost you anyway.. So it's up to you.. whatever suits you better..
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    I'm not sure, generally you want NAS with Intel CPU for docker..DS218 Play has Arm cpu I think so probably not good. (but like I said I'm not sure )

Tbh comparing price difference between Ds218 play and plus (ds220+) it's roughly same what raspberry pi4 setup would cost you anyway.. So it's up to you.. whatever suits you better..
    If has an ARM CPU, Docker will definitely not work on the DS.