Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMan99 View Post
    Thanks for reply. However, I am looking to reduce the number of boxes I have rather than increase!
    Itís going to be cheaper, easier and better to have several dedicated boxes that are good at what they do instead of getting an over priced/complex NAS box that does it all.

Follow mhergerís advice and use the NAS for storing music files (which itís good at) and get a Raspberry Pi for running LMS (which itís good at).

Trying to let the NAS do everything will just result in that you need a more expensive/complex NAS than whatís needed. The system as a whole would be harder to maintain since the NAS manufacturer doesnít support LMS as standard so itís going to break something sooner or later if you like the NAS to be updated with the latest security/OS versions.

If you just want to see one box, put the NAS and Raspberry Pi together in a larger box. Even the electricity bill is likely going to be lower with two boxes since it means that you can get a less power hungry NAS if it only needs to provide storage and not run all sorts of applications.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Itís going to be cheaper, easier and better to have several dedicated boxes that are good at what they do instead of getting an over priced/complex NAS box that does it all.

Follow mhergerís advice and use the NAS for storing music files (which itís good at) and get a Raspberry Pi for running LMS (which itís good at).

Trying to let the NAS do everything will just result in that you need a more expensive/complex NAS than whatís needed. The system as a whole would be harder to maintain since the NAS manufacturer doesnít support LMS as standard so itís going to break something sooner or later if you like the NAS to be updated with the latest security/OS versions.

If you just want to see one box, put the NAS and Raspberry Pi together in a larger box. Even the electricity bill is likely going to be lower with two boxes since it means that you can get a less power hungry NAS if it only needs to provide storage and not run all sorts of applications.
    Thanks. There is a body of opinion pushing me towards a Raspberry Pi solution. However, my ignorance of what it is or can offer is s stumbling block. I have had my current "system" in place for over 10 years and not had to do anything on it during that time so I have forgotten most of what I did to set it up or what all the bits do!

So, to recap, what I have at the moment is.....
    • Synology NAS (used to store music files and run Squeezebox Server - an early version of LMS)
    • Squeezebox Duet (pulling in files from NAS and outputting audio from SPDIF)
    • DAC (taking input from Squeezebox)
    • Squeeze Commander app on my Android tablet/phone (to select/play music)

Where would the Raspberry Pi fit in to this? I still want the SQB to be in there and feeding the DAC.

Also, the other thing that confuses me is that I had a look on the Raspberry website and seems like they sell just a bunch of components. Am I expected to work out the right parts I need and put it together myself?

Thanks

I just have a Raspberry Pi in a small case sitting on top of the NAS (in my case a QNAP NAS), powered via a USB connection to the NAS, and attached to the router by ethernet. I have no add-on cards or devices. So, no additional parts. It's just running pCP and LMS, and isn't used as a playback device. It streams to all my Squeezebox devices.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.0.1/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I just have a Raspberry Pi in a small case sitting on top of the NAS (in my case a QNAP NAS), powered via a USB connection to the NAS, and attached to the router by ethernet. I have no add-on cards or devices. So, no additional parts. It's just running pCP and LMS, and isn't used as a playback device. It streams to all my Squeezebox devices.

Robert
    Thanks.

Did you get your Pi ready made or do you have to buy components and bolt them together?

Thanks.

Did you get your Pi ready made or do you have to buy components and bolt them together?
    Have a read here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

A rpi4b (2gb), official power supply, 16GB Sandisk Ultra SD card (even 8gb if you can find one) should come to under £60 (or the equivalent, wherever you are).

A case is handy but not really required and can be bought afterwards

Set up and configuration help is availbale here and elsewhere

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Have a read here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

A rpi4b (2gb), official power supply, 16GB Sandisk Ultra SD card (even 8gb if you can find one) should come to under £60 (or the equivalent, wherever you are).

A case is handy but not really required and can be bought afterwards

Set up and configuration help is availbale here and elsewhere

ronnie
    Thanks!

Thanks.

It's just a matter of writing the image to the SD card, sticking the SD card in the Pi, sticking the Pi in case, and then connecting the ethernet cable and a power supply cable. Not really any bolting together (in my case the case needed a little assembly, but that depends on the case you choose).

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.0.1/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    It's just a matter of writing the image to the SD card, sticking the SD card in the Pi, sticking the Pi in case, and then connecting the ethernet cable and a power supply cable. Not really any bolting together (in my case the case needed a little assembly, but that depends on the case you choose).

Robert
    Thanks. Once it is connected to home network do you access it from desktop PC or something? I would need to install LMS.

Thanks. Once it is connected to home network do you access it from desktop PC or something? I would need to install LMS.
    Yes, everything is installed and managed from the piCorePlayer web page.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Yes, everything is installed and managed from the piCorePlayer web page.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Thanks....and love the username!