X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysteryMan99
    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Man in a van
    Have a read here

A rpi4b (2gb), official power supply, 16GB Sandisk Ultra SD card (even 8gb if you can find one) should come to under £60 (or the equivalent, wherever you are).

A case is handy but not really required and can be bought afterwards

Set up and configuration help is availbale here and elsewhere

ronnie
    Thanks!

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MysteryMan99
      Thanks.

Did you get your Pi ready made or do you have to buy components and bolt them together?
      It's just a matter of writing the image to the SD card, sticking the SD card in the Pi, sticking the Pi in case, and then connecting the ethernet cable and a power supply cable. Not really any bolting together (in my case the case needed a little assembly, but that depends on the case you choose).

Robert
      Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
      Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
      2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
      Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
      Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• MysteryMan99
        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
        It's just a matter of writing the image to the SD card, sticking the SD card in the Pi, sticking the Pi in case, and then connecting the ethernet cable and a power supply cable. Not really any bolting together (in my case the case needed a little assembly, but that depends on the case you choose).

Robert
        Thanks. Once it is connected to home network do you access it from desktop PC or something? I would need to install LMS.

Comment

• slartibartfast
          • Jan 2010

Thanks. Once it is connected to home network do you access it from desktop PC or something? I would need to install LMS.
          Yes, everything is installed and managed from the piCorePlayer web page.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
          Bedroom: Radio
          Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• MysteryMan99
            • Nov 2019

Originally posted by slartibartfast
            Yes, everything is installed and managed from the piCorePlayer web page.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
            Thanks....and love the username!

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

I'm in Cheshire (Sandbach) - if you get stuck I'll build one for you at cost. It really is simple though.
              Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
              Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
              Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• MysteryMan99
                • Nov 2019

Originally posted by d6jg
                I'm in Cheshire (Sandbach) - if you get stuck I'll build one for you at cost. It really is simple though.
                Thanks. Hopefully, I should alright as I have got instructions now and fairly tech savvy - just never got into this side of things that much. When I set up the SQB and Synology then it all worked and not had to touch it since. Must remember to document what I do so I have a clue in case it needs tweaking in the future!

Not far away from you.....between Macclesfield and Congleton!

Comment

• d6jg
                  • Feb 2011

Thanks. Hopefully, I should alright as I have got instructions now and fairly tech savvy - just never got into this side of things that much. When I set up the SQB and Synology then it all worked and not had to touch it since. Must remember to document what I do so I have a clue in case it needs tweaking in the future!

Not far away from you.....between Macclesfield and Congleton!
                  Tips.
                  1) use piCorePlayer - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/
                  2) build the Pi WITH existing LMS still running - when you boot it will appear as a new player in LMS called "piCorePlayer" from the LMS/ Settings/Information you can find its IP address. This way you won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the Pi - just an ethernet cable and saves faffing around with Advanced IP scanner or similar.
                  3) Fix the Pi's IP address outside the DHCP range or give it a reserved IP and reboot.
                  4) Then follow the install LMS instructions - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/install_lms/
                  5) Mount the Synology share - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/
                  6) After the new LMS is up and running you can a) switch off Squeezelite on the Pi and b) switch off LMS on Synology

The biggest problem you are likely to run into is file permissions but that is usually easily fixed.
                  Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                  Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                  Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                  Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                  Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                  Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                  Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• MysteryMan99
                    • Nov 2019

Originally posted by d6jg
                    Tips.
                    1) use piCorePlayer - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/
                    2) build the Pi WITH existing LMS still running - when you boot it will appear as a new player in LMS called "piCorePlayer" from the LMS/ Settings/Information you can find its IP address. This way you won't need a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to the Pi - just an ethernet cable and saves faffing around with Advanced IP scanner or similar.
                    3) Fix the Pi's IP address outside the DHCP range or give it a reserved IP and reboot.
                    4) Then follow the install LMS instructions - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/install_lms/
                    5) Mount the Synology share - https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_network_share/
                    6) After the new LMS is up and running you can a) switch off Squeezelite on the Pi and b) switch off LMS on Synology

The biggest problem you are likely to run into is file permissions but that is usually easily fixed.
                    Thanks. The situation has changed a bit in that I have also decided to replace the Synology NAS with a new one! So, I will be starting from scratch.

Comment

• Jaca
                      • Nov 2012

Thanks. The situation has changed a bit in that I have also decided to replace the Synology NAS with a new one! So, I will be starting from scratch.
                      If you can spend bit more and get NAS which supports docker you can run everything from NAS without Raspberry Pi..
                      Some would say RPi 4 will give you better performance but personally I'm happy with "snappines" of docker LMS on my DS218+.
                      3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• MysteryMan99
                        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Jaca
                        If you can spend bit more and get NAS which supports docker you can run everything from NAS without Raspberry Pi..
                        Some would say RPi 4 will give you better performance but personally I'm happy with "snappines" of docker LMS on my DS218+.
                        The one I have gone for is the DS218play. This is not in the list of NASs that show as supported on Docker webpage. I wonder if it will work, though, or is it just the DS218+

Comment

• pputzer
                          • Mar 2010

The one I have gone for is the DS218play. This is not in the list of NASs that show as supported on Docker webpage. I wonder if it will work, though, or is it just the DS218+
                          If it is not on Synology's list, it probably won't work.

Comment

• MysteryMan99
                            • Nov 2019

Originally posted by pputzer
                            If it is not on Synology's list, it probably won't work.
                            No, seems like it has the "wrong" processor!

Comment

• Jaca
                              • Nov 2012

I'm not sure, generally you want NAS with Intel CPU for docker..DS218 Play has Arm cpu I think so probably not good. (but like I said I'm not sure )

Tbh comparing price difference between Ds218 play and plus (ds220+) it's roughly same what raspberry pi4 setup would cost you anyway.. So it's up to you.. whatever suits you better..
                              3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, 2x SqueezeAMP, Squeezebox Receiver, PiCorePlayer (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro), Material Skin Apk, SqueezePlayer Apk, Squeezelite-X, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Comment

• pputzer
                                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Jaca
                                I'm not sure, generally you want NAS with Intel CPU for docker..DS218 Play has Arm cpu I think so probably not good. (but like I said I'm not sure )

Tbh comparing price difference between Ds218 play and plus (ds220+) it's roughly same what raspberry pi4 setup would cost you anyway.. So it's up to you.. whatever suits you better..
                                If has an ARM CPU, Docker will definitely not work on the DS.

Comment

Working...