Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone remember what the SD card in the Controller was for??

I seem to remember that you could load music files on it to be played locally. Or maybe background images.

Anyone remember that far back?

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I seem to remember that you could load music files on it to be played locally. Or maybe background images.

Anyone remember that far back?

Howard
    Also used for firmware update or alternate boots - main purpose in development.

I seem to remember updates could be done onscreen too. I could swear you could load music on the card like the USB on the Touch. Probably confused.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Also used for firmware update or alternate boots - main purpose in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    I seem to remember updates could be done onscreen too. I could swear you could load music on the card like the USB on the Touch. Probably confused.
    Unlike Touch, the controller could not run LMS and the drive wasn't networked back to the LMS. I don;t recall any remote file transfer facility.
    However with aplay - WAV files could be played through the headphones socket of the controller.

During Covid clearout, this card turned up - it is the card that plug into the controller base for development.
    Name:  controllercard.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  151.1 KB
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-12-20 at 14:23.

Very cool :-)

I did use mine as a player quite a bit back before pCP. I got a very good range out of it.

I still have two of them that work fine. It was/is a cool device.

Howard

Unlike Touch, the controller could not run LMS and the drive wasn't networked back to the LMS. I don;t recall any remote file transfer facility.
    However with aplay - WAV files could be played through the headphones socket of the controller.

During Covid clearout, this card turned up - it is the card that plug into the controller base for development.
    Name:  controllercard.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  151.1 KB

I have two controllers in daily use. And one in storage as a backup. Perfect single purpose devices. It's all my wife uses for controlling our system. I've only used the SD card for updating firmware.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Anyone remember what the SD card in theController was for??

> I seem to remember that you could load music files on it to be played
    > locally. Or maybe background images.

And during development you could easily update firmware and grab log files.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > I seem to remember that you could load music files on it to be played
    > locally. Or maybe background images.

And during development you could easily update firmware and grab log files.

--

Michael
    I wish I would have been of this adventure :-)
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I wish I would have been of this adventure :-)
    It was interesting as development of Controller, Touch and Radio came in quick succession and overlapped somewhat.
    You'd have enjoyed it as some "testers" were writing chunks of code.

I think the controller "beta" trial with pre-production was supposed to be about 3 months and but went on far, far longer.
    There were massive rewrites (and arguments about UIs & dropping features) to get necessary performance out of controller which caused big delays.

Slimdevices had ideas & ambition - economic hardware was not quite up to the task. The hopes to open up the use of DSP in Boom and microphones/speakers/sensors in Touch /Controller.

It was interesting as development of Controller, Touch and Radio came in quick succession and overlapped somewhat.
    You'd have enjoyed it as some "testers" were writing chunks of code.

I think the controller "beta" trial with pre-production was supposed to be about 3 months and but went on far, far longer.
    There were massive rewrites (and arguments about UIs & dropping features) to get necessary performance out of controller which caused big delays.

Slimdevices had ideas & ambition - economic hardware was not quite up to the task. The hopes to open up the use of DSP in Boom and microphones/speakers/sensors in Touch /Controller.
    But still, the controller was amazing compared to what was available at that time. Unfortunately, smartphone arrived quickly after and that was the end. Iĺll stop or Iĺll start ranting (or go to my sad place) about LMS ecosystem not having received the TLC is deserved.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3