Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Wanted Transporter (U.K.)

Anyone selling a good transporter in U.K.? Missed a couple on eBay but not seeing them too often and really need one to get my hi-if up and running again,

Prefer black and non SE but would consider any version.

Many thanks

John

***** Have now sourced one *****
    Last edited by Mr1macuk; 2021-01-09 at 15:00.

You can buy brand new ones on ebay from hotdogtec.
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2020-12-20 at 01:16.

Also ... your request implies that you have a broken one.
    It might be fixable - e.g. new power supply
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

A Raspberry Pi feeding a DAC will get your Hi-fi up and running again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    A Raspberry Pi feeding a DAC will get your Hi-fi up and running again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Agreed, better than Transporter even.
    RaspberryPi3 server running Raspbian & LMS 8.2, USB hard drive
    Lounge - Pi2 running piCoreplayer 6 connected via Toslink to Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100, Linn LP12/Ekos/Troika, Naim NAC102, Linn Tunebox crossover, 4 x Naim NAP250 power amps with Avondale Audio 2018 mods, Linn Keltik active isobarik speakers
    Office - Squeezebox Boom
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio x2
    Sunroom - Squeezebox Boom
    Bedroom - Squeezebox Radio x2 plus another in en-suite
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Radio

Donít have broken one, changing setup to allow me to take advantage of clock locking my dac as opposed to much inferior spdif. Used to use a fanless pc with daphile and a usb-spdif box but thatís no longer in system and want to upgrade so can improve data to dac and have lms running away on my server.

I seriously doubt a rpi feeding my dac via spdif would beat a transporter clock locked to my dac. Thatís whole point of me wanting transporter as I want to clock lock to dac master clock. Only 2 ways being clock is 128fs is transporter or m2tech evo 2 usb-spdif (however they ainít cheap and it means me having either computer or similar to plug it in to on rack as well (where as transporter doesnít). I also suspect as good as the m2tech device is it would be hard pressed beating the actual measured jitter of transporter when clock locked.

Rpi feeding a high end modern dac may be possible to beat transporter as data buffered or usb but would need to be spdif for my dac witch is well down from clock locked performance. I doubt any rpi setup would offer better spdif feed than transporter and thatís not even adding the improvement from locking the clock.

Lastly ebay does have em from USA in silver (edit ok seen black now but rest still applies vat/duty) and SE which is my least preferred option and inc delivery they are over £400 iirc (by time I get charged import duty, vat and couriers admin charge Iíll probs be a quite a chunk higher then U.K. s/h prices

Many thanks for ideas but not really what I am after as none will allow a 128fs master clock.

John
    Last edited by Mr1macuk; 2020-12-20 at 03:32.

It's hard to find a DAC that sounds better than a Transporter. I have tried, as I wanted to switch to a USB setup. After unsuccessfully trying a few different DAC's I became the proud owner of a RME ADI-2 FS, but it too didn't sound nearly as good (level matched) so I reluctantly sold it. After that I called off the search, so I'll be keeping the Transporter for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Fizbin; 2020-12-20 at 18:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    It's hard to find a DAC that sounds better than a Transporter. I have tried, as I wanted to switch to a USB setup. After unsuccessfully trying a few different DAC's I became the proud owner of a RME ADI-2 FS, but it too didn't sound nearly as good (level matched) so I reluctantly sold it. After that I called off the search, so I'll be keeping the Transporter for the foreseeable future.
    Yeah by all accounts they are good and as my preamp has balanced inputs I was thinking I could also compare internal dac with external clock locked dac to see which wins. I am suspecting my dac as for my ears I still canít find better (different yes but there are some things about it that it still does better than anything at any price).

Only alternative I have that can accept my DACís clock output is 1. Transporter with lms running on server. 2. M2tech evo2 usb-spdif connected to fanless pc but then LMS would be in daphile on that fanless pc with daphile pointing at server for storage).

I figure transporter is better an most flexible option but the m2tech shouldnít be too much in it got overall sound.

And yes there is a massive reason for clock locking to my dac. With the DAC running and the transport/usb-spdif device locked to the DACís clock the DAC no longer uses the spdif encoded clock and simply throws it away so looses all the jitter associated with clock combination and recovery and so forth to reach vanishingly low levels of jitter as it just takes the in-sync incoming data and uses it as the dacís clock dictates.

John
    Last edited by Mr1macuk; 2020-12-21 at 02:36.

Picked up a nice black one for amazing price today
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Congrats!