Hi everyone,

I'm planning a home renovation, and have been looking into options for whole home audio. Wifi is nice, but while I have all the walls open, I want to wire everything that makes sense to get wired. So I'm looking at the idea of putting a couple of ceiling-mounted speakers in each of the major rooms, and looking at HiFiBerry amps with Max2Play software to run it. I'm planning to just run speaker wire to a cabinet, where I can have a bank of Pis. I'd like to get some opinions on some aspects:

• The only real options to control such a system seem to be apps like iPeng, the web interface, or something like OpenHab. I use iPeng now, but I don't find it intuitive, and my family doesn't understand it. I'm thinking of having a wall panel here and there, where maybe I can run a skinned web interface or something cobbled with OpenHab. Any thoughts?
  • As far as I can tell, if Logitech shuts down my squeezebox.com, I can still run everything, and I will lose features like TuneIn and Deezer. At least until someone develops replacement plugins. Does that sound right? Any related concerns?
  • I was looking a Max2Play because, while I like to tinker, I don't have time to be a full-time tinkerer. (I prefer a system that I can mostly set and forget.) I don't even mind subscribing to their "premium plugins" if that gets me tested software compatibility. Any experience or thoughts on that? Or preferred alternatives?

I currently run four SB radios and two Duets, and have been mostly happy with them. I imagine using Pis with a wired network will make them more reliable, and the current wifi units can serve as additional control devices. I'd like to hear about any experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Michael