Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Occasional Red "Wifi" Symbol

Hi everyone,

I have four Squeezebox Radios, all of which work well most of the time. But once in a while, one of them (any one of them) will have the little wifi symbol turn red and stay red. Sometimes I can go to the network diagnostics and have it restart the network adapter, and that usually gets it back online. But usually when this happens, the box will also get really slow to respond, and I don't have the patience to wait 30 seconds for each keypress to take effect, and I just reboot the box. Rebooting fixes the problem.

I also have two Duets, and I haven't seen the problem happen there, though I don't use those very often. I've seen lots of reports of their Squeezebox networks being "rock solid". I run LMS on a Synology NAS, which seems pretty reliable, though it can get sluggish when my son is running a Minecraft server.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? It's infrequent, but I'm considering expanding my Squeezebox network with Raspberry Pi players, and I'm hoping someone can help me identify the cause.

Thanks in advance!

I've been getting this a lot recently, on one of my 2 setups (the larger one, below, on Orange internet). Happens on the Touches too. Don't think it's anything to do with the SBs, and everything to do with the router, especially on the wifi side (ie, anything ethernet is not problematic). All DHCP related in the router I think - but every way I've tried to fix it doesn't fix it for long. Every few days, one or other SB loses its wifi connection. Sometimes it finds it again if simply left alone; usually I have to reboot the SB. Annoying - but it's an ancient router......
    LMS 8.0.1 (1606118512)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Riva Arena (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)

yeah whats up with this crap?
    this started to happen on 3 different peoples Radios recently? (i'm in charge of the support...old people own those..)
    /H

Me, too

Me, too. It's only recently and nearly always only the radio.

I use squeezebox.com, not LMS.

For the past 2 weeks or so, my one radio (WiFi) has had the red symbol about 5 times each week in the morning, first thing. I tend to use the preset buttons to "turn it on" (wake) and it will wake with the message "problem connecting" and I reboot and it works fine. It only happened in the afternoon/evening one time. I wondered if my ISP is resetting the addresses around midnight and the radio lost its DHCP address. Most times, the controller and receiver are still fine and talking to each other, but yesterday morning the controller was red WiFi, too. I wake to a Boom every day and it has had none of these issues.

Checkout the 3-4 other threads on the Radio forum about Radio wifi issues - various symptoms - all mainly within last 12 months.

It seems Radio wifi is susceptible to something in newer Wifi 6 /mesh router - either the wifi in use or a neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Checkout the 3-4 other threads on the Radio forum about Radio wifi issues - various symptoms - all mainly within last 12 months.

It seems Radio wifi is susceptible to something in newer Wifi 6 /mesh router - either the wifi in use or a neighbours.
    Though the wifi I use - Orange - that has these probems (all fairly recent) is ancient, all of 10 years old. Of course from time to time it updates its soft/firm ware, and I wonder if something has changed in how it manages DHCP.....
    LMS 8.0.1 (1606118512)
    Win10

a) Livebox 4

b) Freebox

Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    Though the wifi I use - Orange - that has these probems (all fairly recent) is ancient, all of 10 years old. Of course from time to time it updates its soft/firm ware, and I wonder if something has changed in how it manages DHCP.....
    The other threads have done detailed investigation and use of radio frequencies seems to be the culprit so a neighbour's new router can affect your equipment. To test if the issue is DHCP - test with a wired connection - same DHCP code is run.

About two weeks ago, my two SB Radios (at home) would disconnect from the primary router with the red symbol. The only way to get them going again was to reboot the Radios. The drop seems random and it could be a few minutes or hours until the connection is lost again. I have had it happen while I was streaming from mysqueezebox.com and also from LMS on the computer.

I did some testing. I took my SB Radio from work which has not had the problem to my home, and it too began to have the same problem. I then switched the Wifi connection to my second access point which uses a older Netgear router, and the problem disappeared.
    My primary router is supplied by Frontier and NVG468MQ Version: 9.3.0h3d36. I called tech support and they detected some disconnect problems and is going to send me a new router.

I hope this helps if resolving possible problems.

Paul
    Last edited by P Nelson; 2020-12-20 at 21:15. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The other threads have done detailed investigation and use of radio frequencies seems to be the culprit so a neighbour's new router can affect your equipment. To test if the issue is DHCP - test with a wired connection - same DHCP code is run.
    It won't be the neighbor in that particular location - but you did give me a "lightbulb moment" as to what in my own house may have changed, to perhpas casue the dropped network issue. If we are ever allowed to travel again (!!!!) I'll report back.
    LMS 8.0.1 (1606118512)
    Win10

a) Livebox 4

b) Freebox

"The drop seems random and it could be a few minutes or hours until the connection is lost again. I have had it happen while I was streaming from mysqueezebox.com and also from LMS on the computer."

I haven't fired up LMS in ages.

Two mornings ago, when I tried the radio, the WiFi image was red. I didn't do a full reboot; just a Network scan and reconnect to see it still had my network and reconnected. It dropped about every 5 minutes; 7 times in a row.

Two afternoon/evenings as well (yesterday and the day before), while watching the TV (which is attached to the same home theater system as is my Duet), the light on the Receiver came on, went dull white, lasted a bit, then went out. I grabbed the controller while that light was on the first time, and the controller offered "Turn On Squeezebox" so it didn't consider the receiver to be turned on from my network.

I don't use LMS and my router is the same old router from about 6 years ago.