Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie with Duet - can I quickly get to play netradio?

Hi there,

I just bought a used SqB Duet, in the hope that I could quickly get it to play netradio. So far, I've not been successful.

Do I really need to have a SqueezeNetwork server running on a local PC or NAS? Or is there a way to skip that, and just select netradio stations from a list? Seems like a lot of hassle just to be able to listen to netradio stations.

I might add a NAS later. But for now, I just want to get going.

Thanks!

/Henrik

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik9k View Post
    Hi there,

I just bought a used SqB Duet, in the hope that I could quickly get it to play netradio. So far, I've not been successful.

Do I really need to have a SqueezeNetwork server running on a local PC or NAS? Or is there a way to skip that, and just select netradio stations from a list? Seems like a lot of hassle just to be able to listen to netradio stations.

I might add a NAS later. But for now, I just want to get going.

Thanks!

/Henrik
    You need a server to use the Squeezebox Receiver (The player part of the duet)

Easiest and cheapest if you havent got a NAS or a PC is a Raspberry Pi and Picoreplayer

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    You need a server to use the Squeezebox Receiver (The player part of the duet)

Easiest and cheapest if you havent got a NAS or a PC is a Raspberry Pi and Picoreplayer

Jeff
    Why can't be just connect to MySqueezebox.com?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Why can't be just connect to MySqueezebox.com?

Sorry you're correct, I've had a LMS for so long now I forgot about Mysqueezebox.com (I never use it even though I connect my LMS to it )

Can the OP clarify has he a Duet (Receiver + Controller) or just the receiver ?

Instructions for connecting to MSQ.com are on the Logitech site

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Do you have a MySqueezeBox.com account? Is your player released (deleted) from the previous owners account?

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Is your player released (deleted) from the previous owners account?
    I'm pretty sure if it is still registered to the previous owner the OP can change it during setup. I have done this when I have bought used, or when I gave one of mine to a friend.

As previously mentioned, setup a mysqueezebox.com account https://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home (choose create an account). Then connect the Duet to this.

A few tips for using the Duet:

1) IMO the wifi antenna/reception is poorer than the other sb's, so connecting via ethernet is preffered, or do your best to get a good wifi signal. Allot of discussions on this on this forum. If you choose wifi and it "disconnects" or frequently rebuffers, chances are it's the wifi. For example: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-disconnecting

2) Once you have a mysb.com account to get started, reset both the receiver and controller together:
    a) Press and hold button on receiver until it flashed red slow, then fast
    b) Power off the controller, then power on while holding the '+' key.
    c) The "choose language" should come up on the controller, so follow the process, select a network (for the controller to connect to the network, even if the receiver is on ethernet) and it should come to a "this device is registered to xxx.com". At this point you would NOT choose continue, rather choose ("register maybe?) and register the duet to your mysb.com account.
    d) at this point the controller goes through "connecting" (or something like that), and the receiver will change colors, and eventually (with any luck), the controller should come up with the main menu

3) I hope your experience with the duet is trouble free, but if it's not, and it hangs up, repeat the process above. I fought my receivers until I finally hooked them up via ethernet, so I probably did a reset as described more times than I'd like to admit.

My receivers hooked to ethernet finally work flawlessly, but if you have troubles, and you may with wifi, it has been discussed on this forum, just do a search

Like Jeff said, when you want to take the next step, a raspberry pi (with picoreplayer or other), is a really cheap, energy efficient solution

Good Luck and Welcome

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I'm pretty sure if it is still registered to the previous owner the OP can change it during setup. I have done this when I have bought used
    I think this is only true for a TOUCH or RADIO.

And your advice on setup and use is excellent!
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Duet: receiver + controller

Many thanks for the response! I have both receiver (box) and controller. I connected the receiver to LAN.

I'll try your suggestions and get back. Thanks again!

/Henrik

Status

I tried again, with no success. After struggling (again) with flimsy wifi connection for the controller, I (again) end up in a menu where I can either choose "SqueezeNetwork" or "Other network". Both seem to expect I have a server running on my home network, the latter option requiring an IP address.

I did off course create an account at https://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home, but so far I haven't found anywhere in the menus where I can actually use it.

/Henrik

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik9k View Post
    I tried again, with no success. After struggling (again) with flimsy wifi connection for the controller, I (again) end up in a menu where I can either choose "SqueezeNetwork" or "Other network". Both seem to expect I have a server running on my home network, the latter option requiring an IP address.

I did off course create an account at https://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home, but so far I haven't found anywhere in the menus where I can actually use it.

/Henrik
    Squeezenetwork is just another name for mysqueezebox.com. You should be able to enter your account details after selecting Squeezenetwork.