Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Slimp3 going loopy...

    My Slimp3 has developed an annoying habit of late - will play fine for a while, but then will randomly loop about 5s material 4-5 times then stop. Once stopped, play can be resumed again. It happens with both local content and online streams. I am using it on its own at the moment [no other players connected]. Not quite sure when this behaviour started but I noticed it on 7.9.x and now on 8.0.1.
    Log snippet - 1751 is when I started playing a stream, 1804 is when the Slimp3 got in to a loop then stopped.
    Code:
    [20-12-18 17:51:52.7153] Slim::Networking::SliMP3::Stream::gotAck (523) 00:04:20:04:12:ff Buffer full, starting playback
    [20-12-18 17:51:52.7155] Slim::Player::StreamingController::playerTrackStarted (2200) 00:04:20:04:12:ff
    [20-12-18 17:51:52.7157] Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setPlayingState (2377) new playing state PLAYING
    [20-12-18 17:51:52.7159] Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Playing (368) Song 0 has now started playing
    [20-12-18 17:51:52.7163] Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Playing (397) Song queue is now 0
    [20-12-18 17:51:53.0182] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand2 (467) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: mp3
    [20-12-18 18:04:49.1023] Slim::Networking::SliMP3::Stream::stop (199) 00:04:20:04:12:ff stream stop
    [20-12-18 18:04:49.1027] Slim::Player::StreamingController::_Stop (610) Song queue is now 0
    [20-12-18 18:04:49.1031] Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setPlayingState (2377) new playing state STOPPED
    [20-12-18 18:04:49.1032] Slim::Player::StreamingController::_setStreamingState (2386) new streaming state IDLE
    [20-12-18 18:04:49.4053] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand2 (467) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: mp3
    I don't think it's a network issue as nothing else drops off the network at the time.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,293
    Quote Originally Posted by troffasky View Post
    I don't think it's a network issue as nothing else drops off the network at the time.
    SlimMP3 has a tiny buffer compared to modern players, a small network problem will affect a SliMP3 massively whereas other devices will ride it out without an issue.

    Your log shows failure to transcode into MP3 because you are probably missing lame in your installation.
    SlimMP3 can only play MP3, so non MP3 streams have to be stranscoded.

    Give more details of your LMS platform and OS and how LMS was installed.

  3. #3
    OS is linux, platform is Debian SID. LMS was installed from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nig...7403_amd64.deb

    I have lame, libmp3lame0 and libtwolame0 installed. Non-MP3s play fine. "Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: mp3" is not always logged. It wasn't logged when I played a local FLAC and MP3 just now, but it was logged when I played the same stream as earlier.


    I have added it to Smokeping but forgot that the slimp3 shows a message on the screen every time it receives a ping!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,293
    Quote Originally Posted by troffasky View Post
    I have lame, libmp3lame0 and libtwolame0 installed. Non-MP3s play fine. "Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: mp3" is not always logged. It wasn't logged when I played a local FLAC and MP3 just now, but it was logged when I played the same stream as earlier.
    OK. There is something making that log message appear.

    I'm assuming the log has been edited to show those message and so a lot of context & other information has been lost.

    Withjust player.source set to INFO - can do a log of trying to play a local track (note start time & end time when slimp3 stops) . This could be big and you will have to copy all message from start time to end time from server.log into a text file, zip it and then attach it to a post. Do not edit/change anything.
    There is a long lead up to the "Didn't find any matches" which needs to be understood.

    edit:
    Can't remember if SlimMP3 supports DHCP.
    Is the SLimMP3 IP address assigned statically or dynamically
    Has anything else changed in the network (e.g. router, extender, new devices, ISP, LMS host OS) around the same time as when problem started ?
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-12-19 at 03:02.

  5. #5
    player.source is already at Info level. I just pasted the end of where it started playing and all where it looped 13 minutes later.
    2020-12-18-server.log
    Attached is the log for that day and some of the next.
    Later on I connected a squeezelite player and tried to replicate the issue. It's possible that I'd left the stream playing and it dropped at 0144 the next day, but I don't know as I was fast asleep.

    The player is DHCP. I have changed its DHCP address to a static lease so that it can be monitored more easily. Unfortunately I am not sure when the issue began, so difficult to correlate it with anything, but I would say in the last 6 months. The main changes would be the weekly OS updates.

    Smokeping shows 0.2% packet loss over past 10h. Bit high for a LAN but it's on a powerline extender. Although I haven't had the looping issue since adding it to Smokeping.

    If I get some time I am going to artificially introduce some network problems to see if looping then dying is what Slimp3 does in such conditions.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,293
    A quick look at log. I don't have a SlimP3 so all I am going on is other users & developers experiences

    1. The MP3 error message is associated with internet streaming and pls. It needs to be checked out.
    2. There are odd messages logging about problems accessing settings. Not normal. This indicates something odd in network. Somebody from 81.2.114.23 is trying to access your LMS. Have you opened up LMS ports to internet ?
    3. Syncing with an SliMP3 is problematic. IIRC SlimP3 sync protocol is slightly diferent to newer SB player so compromises are made. Because of buffer size mismatch, At best make the SliMP3 the master. When testing network problems, do not test with synced players.

    What do you mean "pasted" ? You edited the log file ? Sometime missing message have the clue, so context & lead up is important. A complete unedited log file is usually the most useful. You can zip log file and attach vary long ones.

    The message below is specifically related to SliMP3 which uses UDP - there is somehting broken. Playlist is also part of "pls" processing which relates back to point 1.
    Code:
    [20-12-19 01:44:40.1567] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (130) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::UDP::readUDP: Can't call method "playlist" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Playlist.pm line 178.
    ; fh=IO::Socket::INET=GLOB(0x5594b56ceb90)
    Can you show this looping problem with playing individual local tracks ? or is it only playlist and/or internet related ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    2. There are odd messages logging about problems accessing settings. Not normal. This indicates something odd in network. Somebody from 81.2.114.23 is trying to access your LMS. Have you opened up LMS ports to internet ?
    That is the LMS server's own public IP address. It is not accessible from the internet. "Somebody" was just me from a different machine. I was using the server's public FDQN for convenience. Because of NAT policies my laptop appeared to originate from the server's own public IP.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    When testing network problems, do not test with synced players.
    That should be easy enough, I only use one of them at a time. The problem for the debugging process is that the slimp3 is used generally when I'm busy doing something else [eg cooking a meal] so I'm usually too busy to be writing down start/stop times etc. I will persevere!

    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    What do you mean "pasted" ? You edited the log file ? Sometime missing message have the clue, so context & lead up is important. A complete unedited log file is usually the most useful. You can zip log file and attach vary long ones.
    I copied and pasted the lines from the log in to a forum post.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The message below is specifically related to SliMP3 which uses UDP - there is somehting broken. Playlist is also part of "pls" processing which relates back to point 1.
    Code:
    [20-12-19 01:44:40.1567] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (130) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::UDP::readUDP: Can't call method "playlist" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Playlist.pm line 178.
    ; fh=IO::Socket::INET=GLOB(0x5594b56ceb90)
    No idea what the actual outcome was here as I was asleep at the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post

    Can you show this looping problem with playing individual local tracks ? or is it only playlist and/or internet related ?
    Yes, it has happened with both local content and internet streams. When you say playlist, if I play an album, it's just a folder of FLAC files, there's no M3U or PLS file or whatever.

    I've listened to local files and a stream for >2h so far today with no occurrence of the problem, so I am leaning towards network issues here.

  8. #8
    I don't think this is a network issue. I have tested several different ways of interrupting the network between the server and the slimp3, and they never result in looping behaviour on the slimp3.
    When I break the network, the slimp3 pauses for a bit and then resumes once I fix it again, which I suppose is pretty much the best I could hope for.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •