Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SQBox Radio interference fixed for me.. metal tape

For several months I had been getting constant disconnection with my three "Radio", previously hadn't been a problem... I read a lot of stuff here, aimed at a wifi network from outside my house being able to cause my "Radio" to drop my wifi network and end up with the red wifi symbol on the screen and no more connection to my network...
    My problem was only on "RADIO"s, no problem with "BOOM"s..

Many tried replacing their in-house wifi system for something "better" to over-power the interfering network. What I did was stick some metal tape around the top right-hand side of the "Radio", which is where the wifi antenna lives on the "Radio", to try to REDUCE the power of all signals including the interferring one and obviously mine too. But mine being closer to the "Radio" should be the winner after the "attenuation"..

It worked straight away and the "RADIO"s have been un-disconnecting for several weeks now. The wifi network that I assume was the problem, shows as signal strength 2 and my own as 3.
    The tape can be fitted inside the case if you are so inclined, but obviously make sure it doesn't touch any circuitry when the case is closed back up.

Thanks to all you guys for the wealth of knowledge this forum brings us all..
    cheers CDName:  SQbox radio metal tape.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  283.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by doobre View Post
    For several months I had been getting constant disconnection with my three "Radio", previously hadn't been a problem... I read a lot of stuff here, aimed at a wifi network from outside my house being able to cause my "Radio" to drop my wifi network and end up with the red wifi symbol on the screen and no more connection to my network...
    My problem was only on "RADIO"s, no problem with "BOOM"s..

Many tried replacing their in-house wifi system for something "better" to over-power the interfering network. What I did was stick some metal tape around the top right-hand side of the "Radio", which is where the wifi antenna lives on the "Radio", to try to REDUCE the power of all signals including the interferring one and obviously mine too. But mine being closer to the "Radio" should be the winner after the "attenuation"..

It worked straight away and the "RADIO"s have been un-disconnecting for several weeks now. The wifi network that I assume was the problem, shows as signal strength 2 and my own as 3.
    The tape can be fitted inside the case if you are so inclined, but obviously make sure it doesn't touch any circuitry when the case is closed back up.

Thanks to all you guys for the wealth of knowledge this forum brings us all..
    cheers CDName:  SQbox radio metal tape.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  283.3 KB
    I have to say I was quite skeptical about this fix. But I stand corrected and thank you for posting your fix instructions and pic! It absolutely works for me!

I had seen this fix mentioned many months ago (likely by you?) and shrugged it off as a nutty idea. Last week a contractor was at my house and he had a roll of metal tape in his truck. I asked him for a 1 foot piece and temporarily taped it on with just blue painters tape (assuming it was not going to work) as per your pic. Radio has been streaming 24/7 for 3 days. I'll soon permanently mount this tape inside the cover.

Thanks again for breathing life back into my SB Radio and not having to hack in to fix it which I am certain I would have messed up!

Well that didn't last long. Started the disconnects again. Oh well, my first SB device to be thrown in the trash. Sad. Long live my SB3. Boom, Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Well that didn't last long. Started the disconnects again. Oh well, my first SB device to be thrown in the trash. Sad. Long live my SB3. Boom, Touch.
    Have you tried wlanpoke ? It has good diagnostics as well as active measures to keep radio connected.

I am sceptical of the metal tape in one narrow place can stop enough wifi signals from a specific source.
    On a separate bug, when testing I tried to reduce wifi reception to create rebuffering - I ended up with the radio in a aluminum pot with a lid in a microwave. Pot lid had a gap just for power cable and door of microwave was ajar for the cable as well. Still the radio played.
    Modern routers just up the power (and some MIMO) to get the signal through. I think your interfering source did the same - it "learnt" about the tape and upped/focussed the power.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Oh well, my first SB device to be thrown in the trash.
    Also ... don't trash it.
    Someone here will happily take it off your hands.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin