Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox Radio connects and the freezes after about 1 minute

Hello:

I've had 5 squeezebox radios working fine for many years. I started getting strange disconnections, so I upgraded my wifi a few weeks back, then this Monday 2 of the 5 Radios started Freezing after a few minutes of connections. They would start up fine and connect to my LMS and even play then after about a minute they just freeze. I've reset to default and removed them from the server.pref file and from the my.squeezebox.com. so that when I restart them they are clean. but the same thing still happens. If it was just one device, I would write it off to hardware failure due to age, but 2 on the same day, while 3 identical radios work fine.

Any thoughts. Is just rotten luck that 2 radios had the same hardware failure on the same day? is there a way to reflash the firmware?

Thanks

John

New WiFi6 device in the area?
    Do they fail if you move them to a different location - eg next to one that is not showing the symptoms?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Hi Paul:

The 2 failed radios fail no matter where they are, and I have replaced one of the failed ones with one of the working radios.

Failure is consistent to the individual radios themselves.

thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by Whenever View Post
    The 2 failed radios fail no matter where they are, and I have replaced one of the failed ones with one of the working radios.

Failure is consistent to the individual radios themselves.
    There was a recent thread where a user had a radio in the bathroom and it always failed. I think they switched Radio and still it failed in bathroom - I think conclusion was wifi related issue.

As a test, do these radios fail when wired ?

PSUs fail in strange ways - have you considered swapping PSUs with a working Radio ?

Hi BPA:

Both failed radios, fail in multiple places and places where a good radio works fine. Plugging them into ethernet is a good idea and I tried that and they do work fine when hardwired. This is a possible workaround, although I will be trying to acquire backup Squeezebox Radios as I certainly have not found anything close to these and the trend seems to be moving to the various Alexa type services which I have no interest in, I really like having radios I can walk up to push a preset button and adjust the volume with a knob.

Thank you for your suggestions

John

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post

PSUs fail in strange ways - have you considered swapping PSUs with a working Radio ?
    +1 - try swapping PSU, I have seen this, and a cheap fix.

Also, do any/or have batteries? If so, does it happen on battery power?

Jim

Both failed radios, fail in multiple places and places where a good radio works fine. Plugging them into ethernet is a good idea and I tried that and they do work fine when hardwired. This is a possible workaround, although I will be trying to acquire backup Squeezebox Radios as I certainly have not found anything close to these and the trend seems to be moving to the various Alexa type services which I have no interest in, I really like having radios I can walk up to push a preset button and adjust the volume with a knob.
    The Radio is a good device, together with LMS better than modern internet Radio.
    So Problem is wifi - PSU can still be the culprit.

I suspect some components are getting a bit old and out of spec. If wifi card is failing/become sensitive, on another thread - users have found a small wifi/ethernet adaptor that can be plugged in line in Radio PSU and into Radio Ethernet socket.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    on another thread - users have found a small wifi/ethernet adaptor that can be plugged in line in Radio PSU and into Radio Ethernet socket.
    Vonets dongle - detailed in this post - which is generally about Radio wifi failing/unstable
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post932270

Just a quick update:

A third device failed on WIFI, so I reassessed the cause and went back to my old wifi router. All devices still work fine on it, so I think it has something to do with the new router which is an ASUS RT-AX86U which is the latest generation and has WIFI-6 as well as Asus' air mesh. I think some of the "advanced features" are not quite as backward compatible as you would like and I'm not about to fiddle with wifi settings that I don't understand, despite my tendency to see every switch, button and setting as something to play with. Anyways, since my old router is also the ISP's router so still in place, I will keep its Wifi turned on and have my LMS plugged into both networks.

Thanks

John

A third device failed on WIFI, so I reassessed the cause and went back to my old wifi router. All devices still work fine on it, so I think it has something to do with the new router which is an ASUS RT-AX86U which is the latest generation and has WIFI-6 as well as Asus' air mesh. I think some of the "advanced features" are not quite as backward compatible as you would like and I'm not about to fiddle with wifi settings that I don't understand, despite my tendency to see every switch, button and setting as something to play with. Anyways, since my old router is also the ISP's router so still in place, I will keep its Wifi turned on and have my LMS plugged into both networks.
    For Asus mesh Wifi 6 router causing problems on Tohch & Radio - check out this thread. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...e-Radios/page2