Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Odroid C2 (and C4)

I have an Odroid C2 that I've not used much these days (it's part of a 4-SBC cluster running k3s on armbian) and I had to test something aarch64 for LMS so I decided to use it.

I had to recompile the CPAN modules for LMS as aarch64 nightly does not support Perl 5.30 but it went totally smooth.

Well I forgot, although it's a 2016 design, how fast it is! It's amazing. My main LMS runs on a 3B+ and that C2 is lightspeed in comparison. I've decided to order a C4 to see and if stable, I'll definitively move my LMS there
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Odroid C2 (and C4)

> Well I forgot, although it's a 2016 design, how fast it is! It's
    > amazing. My main LMS runs on a 3B+ and that C2 is lightspeed in
    > comparison.

What parts of it do you believe are faster? CPU related or IO?

I have a Rock64 ("RK3328 Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53"), but it never really convinced me as a LMS machine reading the files from the same NAS as the Pi.

--

Michael
    Last edited by mherger; 2020-12-08 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    > Well I forgot, although it's a 2016 design, how fast it is! It's
    > amazing. My main LMS runs on a 3B+ and that C2 is lightspeed in
    > comparison.

What parts of it do you believe are faster? CPU related or IO?

I have a Rock64 ("RK3328 Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53"), but it never really convinced me as a LMS machine reading the files from the same NAS as the Pi.

--

Michael
    I would say faster CPU/memory interface. The LMS interface is more reactive and starting to stream a YT or another one line service is faster. You know that YT start does a lot of things (CPU intensive) before being able to stream actual audio.

The C2 has always been ahead every time I used it but at the time I got it aarch64 support was limited so I was not ready to use it for LMS.

I have not compared to my pi4, I have to say.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I would say faster CPU/memory interface. The LMS interface is more reactive and starting to stream a YT or another one line service is faster. You know that YT start does a lot of things (CPU intensive) before being able to stream actual audio.

The C2 has always been ahead every time I used it but at the time I got it aarch64 support was limited so I was not ready to use it for LMS.

I have not compared to my pi4, I have to say.
    I used to use an Odroid U3 which was also fast. It used eMMC memory as well as a fast processor. Unfortunately an on board surface mounted fuse blew for no obvious reason and it has been in a drawer ever since.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I moved LMS from a RPI3 to an Odroid HC2 some time ago. LMS is 3-4 times faster on it.
    For my use case, the disk enclosure is brilliant - no external drive for the music library required. And it doubles as a heat sink for the CPU, which works very well.

The main disadvantage of the Odroids (I have a C2 as well) is the software support (HC2 is stuck on kernel 4, C2 on 3 (unless you don't need graphics, then it's 4)) and ecosystem
    Various SW: Web Interface | TUI | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

I stopped using Odroids because of the lack of kernel support. I started in the C1 days, it had better peripheral interface (Disk/USB)

as for aarch64, I never noticed much different when running a 64bit kernel on a RPI4 with 32bit Userland. But there is a noticeable improvement on a RPI4 with a pure 64bit OS vs the 32bit.

But agreed, music access on a NAS is a wash.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Odroid C2 (and C4)

> But agreed, music access on a NAS is a wash.

Can you please translate this for me? Do you want to say that using a
    NAS would be the same on both?

--

Michael

lol. That phrase doesn't translate well.

Yes, they are about the same in subjective tests. I've not done real benchmarking.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hc1..

Another Odroid vote, an HC1 in my case, which has worked flawlessly running Armbian for the past few years. Now on a 5.4 kernel, Debian Stretch, LMS 8 and no issues at all other than wishing I'd waited until the HC2 was available...
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I stopped using Odroids because of the lack of kernel support. I started in the C1 days, it had better peripheral interface (Disk/USB)

as for aarch64, I never noticed much different when running a 64bit kernel on a RPI4 with 32bit Userland. But there is a noticeable improvement on a RPI4 with a pure 64bit OS vs the 32bit.

But agreed, music access on a NAS is a wash.
    But if you use armbian, you have the latest & greatest