Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

..... and my BBC Sounds App on Android is not working.

This has to be a related issue. My BBC Sounds App on Android is not working either. However Sounds on my Laptop within Firefox is working OK
    Last edited by Nojelc; 2020-12-02 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Nojelc View Post
    This has to be a related issue. My BBC Sounds App on Android is not working either.
    Is that the official BBC Sounds app ... and is it up to date?
    The official one works fine for me on iOS.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

This has to be a related issue. My BBC Sounds App on Android is not working either. However Sounds on my Laptop within Firefox is working OK
    Works for me so, so does the BBC Sounds plugin for LMS.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Works for me so, so does the BBC Sounds plugin for LMS.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Same here.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.0 - 74K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.0/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    BBC told radio aggregators about it towards the end of 2019 - I have not seen it discussed on BBC web site.
    There was also to be a new hostname - which I guess they did so that it is easy to produce the error message now being seen.
    There were a few users of the old feed. Either they will have migrated or they are now broken. If they are broken they'll provide pressure on BBC.

BBC have been trying to retire the old "Listen Again" feed for a long time as it requires 3rd party maintenance.
    Until the BBC Sounds API became accessible to non UK users last Sept, there was no viable alternative.

There are API keys on the interface used by the various BBC Sounds applications.

Yes official BBC App for Android from the Play Store. Uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure I am on the latest version. It is still failing to play with the message "There was a problem playing this item". This happens on the live stream, play it again and podcasts.

Edit : I had no idea that there was a Sounds App for LMS. Just installed it and it is working fine. Thanks for the tip. So pleased my ancient SB set up is back in full action again.
    Last edited by Nojelc; 2020-12-02 at 12:11.

Edit : I had no idea that there was a Sounds App for LMS. Just installed it and it is working fine. Thanks for the tip. So pleased my ancient SB set up is back in full action again.
    The BBC Sounds App is only a few months old and functionality has been added quickly and following user suggestions. So if you have ideas, post on the BBC Sounds thread.
    It makes use of an API which gives access to programs and schedules, so hopefully it should be the future and take over from BBCiPlayer plugin.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    ... so hopefully it should be the future and take over from BBCiPlayer plugin.
    Feels like the end of a very long road for this plugin, which in its various guises and with a phenomenal amount of work from you (and originally Adrian / Triode) has formed the mainstay of my whole familiy's Squeezebox listening over many years - so a massive thanks for all that you've done here. Thank goodness the Sounds plugin is filling the gap, at least pending any more unwelcome changes at the BBC end.
    Thanks again,
    Phil
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    Feels like the end of a very long road for this plugin, which in its various guises and with a phenomenal amount of work from you (and originally Adrian / Triode) has formed the mainstay of my whole familiy's Squeezebox listening over many years - so a massive thanks for all that you've done here. Thank goodness the Sounds plugin is filling the gap, at least pending any more unwelcome changes at the BBC end.
    Thanks again,
    Phil
    I hope it's not the end of the iPlayer plugin. It really is/was a model in how to provide rich functionality simply and directly, which i too have used for many years. The Sounds plugin was never meant to replace it, it was created to follow the BBC Sounds provision model, for those that wanted to sign in and follow it (which I personally find useful) . But I suppose inevitably, it may end up the only way to access the on demand content.
    Of course in many ways the iplayer plugin will live on, especially bpa's work on the audio decoding that is the basis for dash/aac decoding in the Youtube and BBC sounds plugins. That's the wonder of open source.

Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    l
    Quote Originally Posted by expectingtofly View Post
    I hope it's not the end of the iPlayer plugin. It really is/was a model in how to provide rich functionality simply and directly, which i too have used for many years. The Sounds plugin was never meant to replace it, it was created to follow the BBC Sounds provision model, for those that wanted to sign in and follow it (which I personally find useful) . But I suppose inevitably, it may end up the only way to access the on demand content.
    Of course in many ways the iplayer plugin will live on, especially bpa's work on the audio decoding that is the basis for dash/aac decoding in the Youtube and BBC sounds plugins. That's the wonder of open source.
    I'll keep supporting BBCiPlayer & Extra as long as it is feasible but it is dependent on BBC. It is always good to have a backup.

BBC Sounds is another natural evolutionary iteration of BBC on LMS.
    AlienBBC had screenscraping & RealAudio which was then replaceed by FlashAudio and a BBC "Listen Again" feed.
    Then BBCiPlayer with the same feeds but moved to HLS, Flash and MP3 and then to DASH. I took on maintenance of BBCiPlayer mainly for selfish reasons - I used it.

"Listen Again" feed is now creaking and BBC have wanted to retire it for ages. BBC retired the other APIs BBCiPlayerExtra used hoping Nitro would work but I think tech overtook Nitro. RMS evolved and now seems stable and why I think it is a solid basis.