Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

LMS and Apple M1 Mac

I am a long-time LMS user on Windows. Recently, I switched to Mac, and I have a new M1 Mac Mini. This is my first time running LMS on a Mac, and on Big Sur, and with the new M1 SoC. I am running LMS version 8.0.1, and have been having major problems. I have already granted full disk access to perl and bash. I did get it mostly working at one point, but now it is unusable. In the preference pane, most of the dropdowns and buttons are greyed-out, including being unable to add a media folder (currently blank), and I cannot start the server. Also cannot click "Advanced Settings" on the Advanced tab. When it was briefly working, I was also getting the error "Problem: can't open file for" on my Boom for some songs but not others (all of which work fine in Apple Music and are the same file types).

LMS and Apple M1 Mac

> I am a long-time LMS user on Windows. Recently, I switched to Mac, and I
    > have a new M1 Mac Mini. This is my first time running LMS on a Mac, and

Thanks for getting here (though for the wrong reasons, of course :-)). I
    was wondering about this combination...

> on Big Sur, and with the new M1 SoC. I am running LMS version 8.0.1, and
    > have been having major problems. I have already granted full disk access

Have you ever been able to run LMS at all?

What would "perl5.18 -v" run in a terminal session give you?

> to perl and bash. I did get it mostly working at one point, but now it
    > is unusable. In the preference pane, most of the dropdowns and buttons
    > are greyed-out, including being unable to add a media folder (currently
    > blank), and I cannot start the server. Also cannot click "Advanced

Yes, those symptoms would show if LMS wasn't running.

> Settings" on the Advanced tab. When it was briefly working, I was also
    > getting the error "Problem: can't open file for" on my Boom for some
    > songs but not others (all of which work fine in Apple Music and are the
    > same file types).

What does your server.log say? (can usually be found in
    ~/Library/Logs/Squeezebox/server.log).

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Have you ever been able to run LMS at all?

What would "perl5.18 -v" run in a terminal session give you?

What does your server.log say?
    Thanks for the quick reply! While I don't think I've ever posted here before, I have used the forum as a resource for years - thank you all for your insight!

I was able to run LMS for a few days. I'm not sure what build I was using at the time - I've installed multiple builds of version 8.0 over the last few days. Once in response to an update prompt from LMS, the other times hoping the latest build would solve my various problems.

"perl5.18 -v"
    This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 4 (v5.18.4) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
    (with 2 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2013, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
    GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
    this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the
    Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

Server.log
    The following modules failed to load: EV JSON::XS YAML::XS

Can't locate Tie/Cache/LRU.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Tie::Cache::LRU module) (@INC contains: /Library/Application Support/Squeezebox /Users/davidwatson/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/OS/OSX.pm line 328.
    INIT failed--call queue aborted at /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl line 178.

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 4 (v5.18.4) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

NOTE:

If you're running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh
    script located here:

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ublic/8.0/CPAN

If 8.0 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "8.0" with the major version
    You should never need to do this if you're on Windows or Mac OSX. If the installers
    don't work for you, ask for help and/or report a bug.

Exiting..

Can't locate Tie/Cache/LRU.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Tie::Cache::LRU module) (@INC contains: /Library/Application Support/Squeezebox /Users/davidwatson/Library/Application Support/Squeezebox /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Utils/OS/OSX.pm line 328.
    INIT failed--call queue aborted at /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl line 178.

NOTE:

If you're running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh
    script located here:

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ublic/8.0/CPAN

If 8.0 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "8.0" with the major version
    You should never need to do this if you're on Windows or Mac OSX. If the installers

Exiting..

INIT failed--call queue aborted at /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl line 173.

NOTE:

script located here:

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...ublic/7.9/CPAN

If 7.9 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "7.9" with the major version

Exiting..
    [20-11-23 21:59:57.6680] main::init (388) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.0.1, 1606118512, Mon Nov 23 09:44:50 CET 2020) perl 5.018004 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
    [20-11-23 21:59:58.5986] main::init (388) Starting Logitech Media Server (v8.0.1, 1606118512, Mon Nov 23 09:44:50 CET 2020) perl 5.018004 - darwin-thread-multi-2level
    [20-11-23 21:59:58.9621] Slim::Utils::SQLiteHelper:ostConnect (377) Optimizing DB because of missing or empty sqlite_stat1 table
    [20-11-23 21:59:58.9644] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2160) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!
    [20-11-23 21:59:59.1387] Slim::Utils::SQLiteHelper:ostConnect (377) Optimizing DB because of missing or empty sqlite_stat1 table
    [20-11-23 21:59:59.1396] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (2160) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!
    [20-11-23 21:59:59.2655] main::checkDataSource (1108) Warning: Schema updated or no media found in the database, initiating scan.
    [20-11-24 21:15:54.0573] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (431) Unable to login to SN: Invalid mysqueezebox.com username or password.
    [20-11-24 21:16:24.4147] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (431) Unable to login to SN: Invalid mysqueezebox.com username or password.
    [20-11-24 21:20:40.6254] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (431) Unable to login to SN: Timed out waiting for data
    [20-11-24 21:20:40.6277] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_init_error (156) Unable to login to mysqueezebox.com, sync is disabled: Timed out waiting for data (https://www.mysqueezebox.com)
    [20-11-24 21:20:40.6284] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_init_error (172) mysqueezebox.com sync init failed: Timed out waiting for data, will retry in 300 (https://www.mysqueezebox.com)
    [20-11-24 21:20:52.0095] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::_error (431) Unable to login to SN: Timed out waiting for data
    [20-11-24 21:20:52.0103] Slim::Web::JSONRPC::requestWrite (514) Context not found in requestWrite!!!!
    [20-11-26 21:22:41.2953] Slim::Networking::SqueezeNetwork::Players::_player s_error (377) Unable to get players from SN: Couldn't resolve IP address for: www.mysqueezebox.com, retrying in 900 seconds

Could you please post the output of the following command (run in a terminal window):

Code:
    $ /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl --d_startup
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)

Could you please post the output of the following command (run in a terminal window):

Code:
    $ /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/slimserver.pl --d_startup
    The output was too long, so I've attached a txt file. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok, I'm not surprised by this:

Code:
    Can't load '/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/arch/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/DBI.bundle' for module DBI: dlopen(/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/arch/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/DBI.bundle, 1): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    	/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/arch/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/DBI.bundle: mach-o, but wrong architecture
    	/Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/arch/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/DBI.bundle: mach-o, but wrong architecture at /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/DynaLoader.pm line 194.
     at /Library/PreferencePanes/Squeezebox.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/arch/5.18/DBI.pm line 277.
    macOS basically complains that the binaries were not compiled for the target platform. Which is little surprising. I'm only confused by the fact that you claimed it did work at some point.

I don't know whether there's a way to tell macOS to use Rosetta to emulate x86 when launching an application. I might have to figure this out some way. Or have to compile for the M1 platform.
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Oh, would Apple actually have thought of that use case? Please give the following a try:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/1...to-use-Rosetta

Force using Rosetta on /usr/bin/perl5.18 - if that's even an option.
    Michael

Oh, would Apple actually have thought of that use case? Please give the following a try:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/1...to-use-Rosetta

Force using Rosetta on /usr/bin/perl5.18 - if that's even an option.
    Interesting idea, but I can't figure out how to do that. And from what it says on that page, the option to force Rosetta is only available for dual universal Intel + Apple Silicon apps.

I can confirm LMS was working for awhile on my M1 Mac, though it was intermittent and having problems as I described earlier. I've got other legacy Intel apps that are running just fine under Rosetta. Is it possible that this has something to do with LMS running under the Settings Preference pane rather than a normal app?

LMS and Apple M1 Mac

>> Force using Rosetta on /usr/bin/perl5.18 - if that's even an option.
    >
    > Interesting idea, but I can't figure out how to do that. And from what
    > it says on that page, the option to force Rosetta is only available for
    > dual universal Intel + Apple Silicon apps.

In Finder you can "Go To...". Enter /usr/bin. There you should find
    perl5.18. Bring up the information panel for that file. In there you'd
    see whether that option is available or not.

> I can confirm LMS was working for awhile on my M1 Mac, though it was
    > intermittent and having problems as I described earlier. I've got other
    > legacy Intel apps that are running just fine under Rosetta. Is it
    > possible that this has something to do with LMS running under the
    > Settings Preference pane rather than a normal app?

I don't think so. IMHO the problem is that LMS is not compiled, but to
    be interpreted by a too installed on the machine (Perl). BUT we do
    provide some libraries we use. These are built for Intel processors,
    rather than the M1. So Perl would be fired up as an M1 process, then
    fails to initialize the binaries we provide.

If we were able to tell macOS to run Perl in Rosetta (the Intel
    emulation), that could potentially work.

--

Michael

>> Force using Rosetta on /usr/bin/perl5.18 - if that's even an option.
    >
    > Interesting idea, but I can't figure out how to do that. And from what
    > it says on that page, the option to force Rosetta is only available for
    > dual universal Intel + Apple Silicon apps.

In Finder you can "Go To...". Enter /usr/bin. There you should find
    perl5.18. Bring up the information panel for that file. In there you'd
    see whether that option is available or not.

> I can confirm LMS was working for awhile on my M1 Mac, though it was
    > intermittent and having problems as I described earlier. I've got other
    > legacy Intel apps that are running just fine under Rosetta. Is it
    > possible that this has something to do with LMS running under the
    > Settings Preference pane rather than a normal app?

I don't think so. IMHO the problem is that LMS is not compiled, but to
    be interpreted by a too installed on the machine (Perl). BUT we do
    provide some libraries we use. These are built for Intel processors,
    rather than the M1. So Perl would be fired up as an M1 process, then
    fails to initialize the binaries we provide.

If we were able to tell macOS to run Perl in Rosetta (the Intel
    emulation), that could potentially work.

--

Michael
    OK, I found it but the option is not available in the information panel.