Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hifiberry Dac+ Pro and RPI4 combo not working

Hi,

Just purchased an RPI4 with the Hifiberry Dac+ Pro hat. I've downloaded, burned and installed piCoreplayer on two different SD cards. With both cards, the system comes up just fine and is, initially, visible in LMS as "piCore player". Per instructions, I then select the "Hifiberry Dac+ (and Pro Amp) as the audio output device, pressed Save, and rebooted. Upon reboot, the output setting under Squeezelite Settings shows:

hw:Card=sndrpihiberry

The problem is that, upon reboot, it also shows the "Squeezelite is not running" message and, of course, it is not visible to LMS any more.

The alsa setting shows: 80, 4, (blank box), 1, (blank box)

Additional info: I also downloaded, and burned to an SD card, the Hifiberry OS. This worked as expected and allowed me to verify that it is not a hardware issue. With the Hifberry OS installed, and Squeezelite selected as the player, the RPI/Dac combo appeared in LMS and I was able to play music with no problems.

In piCoreplayer dmesg, this may be relevant....not sure since I'm not at all versed in Linux (or any other software---basically a tech ignoramus).

[ 4.214518] clk-hifiberry-dacpro clocks:dacpro_osc: Fail to register clock driver
    [ 4.214536] clk-hifiberry-dacpro: probe of clocks:dacpro_osc failed with error -17
    [ 4.288673] snd_bcm2835: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
    [ 4.292358] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
    [ 4.306648] bcm2835_audio soc:audio: card created with 8 channels
    [ 4.306847] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
    [ 4.320018] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
    [ 4.322140] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: ASoC: CODEC DAI pcm512x-hifi not registered - will retry
    [ 4.324100] pcm512x 1-004d: Linked as a consumer to regulator.1
    [ 4.525989] bcmgenet: Skipping UMAC reset
    [ 4.602568] bcmgenet fd580000.genet: configuring instance for external RGMII (no delay)
    [ 4.606570] Starting piCorePlayer v6.1.0 startup.
    [ 5.634334] bcmgenet fd580000.genet eth0: Link is Down
    [ 9.730366] bcmgenet fd580000.genet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
    [ 25.450708] random: sshd: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
    [ 25.485543] random: squeezelite: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
    [ 25.544115] Finished piCorePlayer v6.1.0 startup.
    [ 141.846518] random: squeezelite: uninitialized urandom read (32 bytes read)
    [ 190.974283] random: crng init done

If someone could assist me in getting this running, I'd appreciate it. A couple weeks ago, got another RPI4 without a dac hat (connected to a USB dac) and it was a snap to set up and is running perfectly. But this RPI/hifiberry combination has given me fits. I googled all over and it seems very few people have had an issue with this combo and I did not see any obvious solutions.

Thanks!
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

LMS 8.1.0 - 1608700893 on RPI4B with 1tb Samsung T5 SSD.

What's displayed under the help?

Click [Squeezelite settings] > "Change Squeezelite settings" > "Output setting" > "more>"

Mine looks like this:

Code:
    Specify the output device (-o)   less>

<output device>

Default: default
    - = output to stdout
    Available output devices (click to use):

hw: devices are normally the best choice, but try and decide for yourself:

null
    plugequal
    equal
    hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
    plughw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
    sysdefault:CARD=Headphones
    hw:CARD=sndrpijustboomd,DEV=0
    plughw:CARD=sndrpijustboomd,DEV=0
    sysdefault:CARD=sndrpijustboomd

Note:

Some hardware requires the use of "hw", rather than "sysdefault" i.e. hw:CARD=DAC
    Sometimes clearing this field completely may help. This forces the default ALSA setting to be used.
    Using ALSA equalizer will set the output to "equal".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    What's displayed under the help?

Click [Squeezelite settings] > "Change Squeezelite settings" > "Output setting" > "more>"

Mine looks like this:

Code:
    Specify the output device (-o)   less>

<output device>

- = output to stdout

null
    plugequal
    equal
    hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
    plughw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
    sysdefault:CARD=Headphones
    hw:CARD=sndrpijustboomd,DEV=0
    plughw:CARD=sndrpijustboomd,DEV=0
    sysdefault:CARD=sndrpijustboomd

Note:

Some hardware requires the use of "hw", rather than "sysdefault" i.e. hw:CARD=DAC
    Sometimes clearing this field completely may help. This forces the default ALSA setting to be used.
    Thanks so much for the help, Greg. Mine look like this:

Specify the output device (-o) less>

<output device>

- = output to stdout

null
    plugequal
    equal
    sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
    Note:

Last edited by rgro; 2020-11-30 at 12:47.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: RPI4B/PiCorePlayer/LMS> RPI4B/piCoreplayer/Squeezelite > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > Benchmark AHB2 > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: RPI4 B/HifiBerry Dac+ Pro>Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

Ok, that shows only the RPi built-in audio (CARD=ALSA)

Your RPi has not recognised your HAT at all. Most HATs are automatically recognised. hmm.

Check it is seated properly.

I assume when you typed "hw:Card=sndrpihiberry" in the first earlier post you made many typos?

FYI: Note that newer RPi software shows built-in audio as CARD=Headphones and CARD=b1
    Last edited by Greg Erskine; 2020-11-30 at 16:42.

Are you sure that is a DAC+Pro and not a DAC2ProHD?
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Are you sure that is a DAC+Pro and not a DAC2ProHD?
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for helping out. First answer: I actually didn't type in "hw:Card=sndrpihiberry". The field was filled in automatically with that upon reboot. Also, I know the dac's seated properly since it plays fine using the Hifiberry O/S and Squeezelite.

Second answer: I'm pretty sure it's not the DAC2proHD. Not what I ordered and not what the invoice/packing list says. I suppose the wrong board could've been sent and I would be happy to have a look if there's an obvious way to identify it externally.

BTW, I used the piCoreplayer 6.1 standard download for burning to the sd card.
    Last edited by rgro; 2020-11-30 at 14:49.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------

Hifiberry normally silk screens the card names pretty well on top, as well as printing the overlay name on the underneath side of the card. The output in dmesg just looks funny, like it is only partially recognizing the card.

With hifiberry product, they do offer a HifiberryOS image that you could try to validate the hardware is working.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Hifiberry normally silk screens the card names pretty well on top, as well as printing the overlay name on the underneath side of the card. The output in dmesg just looks funny, like it is only partially recognizing the card.

With hifiberry product, they do offer a HifiberryOS image that you could try to validate the hardware is working.
    Hi Paul,

Yes, I'd already burned an SD card with the HifiberryOS and it worked perfectly. Booted up, showed up in LMS, I selected Squeezelite within the Hifiberry OS, and music played just fine. So, that's why I'm certain it's not a hardware issue.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------

O.K....so I just had a look at the board and it is labeled "DAC2" (NOT the HD version). Indeed, I see now that this is what I ordered. On the Hifiberry website it says that the DAC2 is "the successor to the DAC+ Pro". In the piCore audio output device settings, there is no "DAC2" choice available which is why I selected the DAC+ Pro as the choice. Makes me wonder if there isn't something slightly different about the DAC2 that hasn't yet been updated in piCoreplayer to allow it??

Here's the link to the datasheet for the DAC2:

https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/data-...heet-dac2-pro/

Apologies for having misled you about the model....
    Last edited by rgro; 2020-11-30 at 16:11.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for helping out. First answer: I actually didn't type in "hw:Card=sndrpihiberry". The field was filled in automatically with that upon reboot. Also, I know the dac's seated properly since it plays fine using the Hifiberry O/S and Squeezelite.
    I just checked all our HiFiBerry configuration files and they all write "hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry"

If you can pinpoint when "hw:Card=sndrpihiberry" appears it would be useful in debugging.

regards
    Greg