Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezelite problems playing WMA lossless on Raspberry Pi

I would be grateful for any ideas regarding a problem I have encountered with replay of WMA lossless files on a headless configuration of Squeezelite on a Rasberry Pi.

Firstly the environment.

Squeezelite version 1.8-4.1+b1 , Raspbian - Buster, PI 1 model B in conjunction with Logitech server running on Windows server 2008 holding the media. Replay is currently through the PI onboard headphone socket but I intend to use a DAC later..

Initially Squeezelite plays the media, but then stops after some time. Whilst running it continuously logs "ff_decode:377 avcodec_decode_audio4 error: -22 Invalid argument".

WMA files play successfully on the Pi using VLC. Squeezelite successfully plays mp3 media when tested.

For historical reasons the bulk of my media is in WMA format and I don't fancy a mass conversion, so a solution to this problem would be appreciated.

First get an up to date version of squeezelite 1.8 is very old and lots of bugs have been fixed
    Up to date Squeezelite clients from here
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezelite/linux/

There are few possibilities - choose the one for your system
    I think Pi 1 is armel. It looks like there is no choice for Pulseaudio or not.

Thanks your reply

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    First get an up to date version of squeezelite 1.8 is very old and lots of bugs have been fixed
    Up to date Squeezelite clients from here
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms...ezelite/linux/

There are few possibilities - choose the one for your system
    I think Pi 1 is armel. It looks like there is no choice for Pulseaudio or not.
    I will try your suggestions and revert...

Quote Originally Posted by sirroma View Post
    I will try your suggestions and revert...
    I'm not sure if the squeezelite build includes wma decoders.

If it doesn't then normally a Windows based LMS can transcode WMAL for the player. You can force LMS to transcode by disabling native "WMA Lossless" in WebUI Settings/Filetypes

However, for a Windows based LMS to transcode it need the necessary audio decode DLLs, I don't know whether Windows Server includes the audio subsystem of Windows "Desktop".

In July 2020 I think there were changes to squeezelite regarding WMA. There were issues with ALAC, WMA and ffmpeg.

Ralphy and Paul are the guys to talk to for technical details.

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    In July 2020 I think there were changes to squeezelite regarding WMA. There were issues with ALAC, WMA and ffmpeg.

Ralphy and Paul are the guys to talk to for technical details.
    Thanks all. Latest version from Sourceforge, seems to solved the problem. I naively assumed that i would get the latest version with a package install.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sirroma View Post
    Thanks all. Latest version from Sourceforge, seems to solved the problem. I naively assumed that i would get the latest version with a package install.
    Depends who builds the package - it seem the squeezelite one is not really being maintained and a number of users have similar issues as yourself - latest OS release but old squeezelite.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Depends who builds the package - it seem the squeezelite one is not really being maintained and a number of users have similar issues as yourself - latest OS release but old squeezelite.
    That's likely my fault.

I have always done rolling releases, where the version number is incremented with a functional or feature change and revisions increase for fixes.

I've been asked several times by the package maintainers to tag squeezelite releases on my github repository. I have a local subversion repository for squeezelite development that I push to github as required. If I add a release tag on github I can no longer push changes from subversion and if I tag in subversion the tags aren't propogated to github.

The package maintainers seem to be stuck using the last Triode 1.8 release of squeezelite as a result.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.