Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    But he’s planning on using the same DAC. Just a different streamer than the touch. He is not using the DAC in the touch.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    But heĺs planning on using the same DAC. Just a different streamer than the touch. He is not using the DAC in the touch.
    is this in regard to my comment? If so, I was just saying where money is better spent (IMO). I think the previous comments made a good case for disregarding what any "upgrade" in the streamer source would provide. I was agreeing, but might not have made that clear, sorry.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by didjean View Post
    Hi Audiophile chaps,

A couple of months ago, I have converted an audiophile friend of mine to Squeezebox.

He has the following equipment:

- AMP: YBA ligne2 Alpha high current
    - Speakers: B&W CM9
    - DAC: TEAC UD 501
    - expensive cables :-)
    - LMS on Pi4 wired on Network
    - SB Touch on Wifi that is connected to the DAC via Coax.

Recently he has contacted a high-end Hifi shop to ask what he should be upgrading in order to have an even better sound quality. The owner was clear: for him the weakest point from his set up was LMS and the Touch.

For him, a good streamer would bring a huge quality improvement even if connected digitally to an external DAC.

He told him to either buy a Bluesound Node 2i (with or without the Teac DAC) or move to an Innuos Zen Mini mk3 (with LMS or Roon) that could be equipped with an external powersupply.
    Is the dealer the same one who sold him those "expensive cables"? Just curious...
    Living Room: Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng/Material Skin
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    is this in regard to my comment? If so, I was just saying where money is better spent (IMO). I think the previous comments made a good case for disregarding what any "upgrade" in the streamer source would provide. I was agreeing, but might not have made that clear, sorry.

Jim
    No worries, I thought that's what you meant, but was just clarifying. thanks.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I'll echo what the others have said. The dealer has obviously seen the easiest opportunity to extract more money. In actual fact, the Squeezebox is superior because it is an open and upgradable system. The last thing anyone wants is to be stuck with some overpriced audio-jewellery and find the company has discontinued the product, or gone broke.

The only thing I'll enhance on - it may be superior to use USB connection, because that allows for asynchronous transfer.

In reality, the difference should be negligable because any halfway decent DAC has buffering/reclocking and error correction - but regardless, you could?? argue that USB is superior. The Touch can do that with EDO, or you can use PiCorePlayer, which would really be the ultimate insult to the snobby dealer

(and to further the insult - with a DAC like that, PiCorePlayer will do DSD XXX-rate and totally blow any of his suggestions out of the water)!
    Last edited by amey01; 2020-11-30 at 02:45.

This is my take; as an owner of one of the original CuBox-i from Innuos

Innuos Zen = expensive LMS player with additional (useful) facilities.

It also has the potential to expand the system with an expensive power supply and an expensive USB cleaner.

The Zen is pretty much a closed system, any updates are by Innuos (and can lag a version behind).

When I queried this (it was a few years ago) I was told that if I updated LMS myself that I would loose any support.

I don't know if this is still the case, but I do read, every now and then, of purchasers of early Zen models, struggling to get support.

If your friend wants to experiment (nearly always a good thing ), this is my suggestion.

1) Install the EDO applet on the SBTouch, connect via co-ax or usb to the Teac and see if it works.

2) Install Squeezelite on the rpi4b server and connect via the USB to the Teac, see if it works.

If it works, consider the following.

Buying another rpi 4b and installing only Squeezelite.

Connect the new pi to the dac and control it with either the Touch or an appropiate app.

This will involve a little learing and also give a little comprehension of how the system works.

If your friend wants to explore streaming services, they all offer free trials.

Roon also offer free trials and the rpi can be configured as an endpoint.

DSD sample files are available on the internet for trialling purposes.

Don't rush things, "softly, softly........"

This should all take your friend a good few months, by which time, the next "best thing" will be on the market.

And when he is happy with what he has, then is the time for a home demo

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post

2) Install Squeezelite on the rpi4b server and connect via the USB to the Teac, see if it works.
    Very sorry - not sure I get that 2nd solution: so you would have a Pi with Squeezelite (e.g. picoreplayer - correct?). But how do you connect the pi to the DAC? USB to USB? No hat?
    For streaming service, he is using Qobuz via LMS.
    Transporter, Touch, SB3, SB2, Duet, Booms, Radios, piCorePlayer --- iPeng & Material --- LMS Version: 8.2.0 - 1619381438 on Pi4 4GB - Max2Play --- Qobuz

Very sorry - not sure I get that 2nd solution: so you would have a Pi with Squeezelite (e.g. picoreplayer - correct?). But how do you connect the pi to the DAC? USB to USB? No hat?
    yes, rPi4B with piCorePlayer installed. Connect USB out of rPi to USB input to DAC.

piCorePlayer is probably the easiest particularly if he is already using it. Alternatively follow this guide for Raspbian.
    http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wo...r-on-raspbian/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes, as others have replied, rpi usb out > dac usb in.

The important bit is "see if it works"

It's just to test the theory, the same with the SBTouch EDO applet, it is not guaranteed to work with every dac.

It is pefectly possible to run the rpi as both player and server, but I feel an independent LMS means one less thing I can f*bar

ronnie