Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here's what I do. (and by the way, I save a backup copy of these LMS cache and prefs folders in case I have to reinstall LMS in the future and don't have the opportunity to copy and paste first. And when I do a major update of LMS, i.e., up to 8.x, then I recreate a set of backup files.)

1. In my old version of LMS running on an rPi with PiCorePlayer I copy (download) the old "prefs" and "cache" folders using WinSCP to my PC.* These folders are in "/mnt/LMSfiles/slimserver/" (note "LMSfiles" is the name I gave the mounted USB drive to my rPi, and you may have used a different name. You can see the location by looking at the webGUI for LMS > Settings > Information tab, bottom of that page

2. Once saved on the PC, in the "prefs" folder, I locate the file, "server.prefs" and open it with windows "notepad". Once open I search for "uuid" without the quotes. It should show up in two lines. I delete BOTH those lines. This info is specifically related to your old setup and will be replaced automatically in your new LMS setup.

3. Install new version of piCorePlayer, LMS, attach USB drive, etc. following the excellent instructions here:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/

4. Once new piCorePlayer and LMS is running on rPi, I go into the piCorePlayer webGUI and STOP LMS.

5. Then I reverse step 1. I copy (UPLOAD) the "prefs" and "cache" folders from my PC to the correct location on the rPi using WinSCP.

6. Then on the piCorePlayer webGUI I START LMS.

At this point when you open the LMS webGUI, you should see that your favorites, plugins, etc. are back in place. I recall that a handful of plugins may require some attention at this point, but fairly minor stuff. Perhaps you have to go through the simple "spotty" steps to authorize Spotify on your new LMS.

*Unless you've changed it, your UserID and PW for accessing the rPi with WinSCP (or any similar program) is:
    UserID: tc
    Password: piCore

To download/upload with WinSCP, on the left side of WinSCP, navigate to something like the DESKTOP of your PC. On the right side of WinSCP, highlight/select the folder "cache", right click, and select DOWNLOAD. Then highlight/select the folder "prefs", right click and select DOWNLOAD. This will copy both folders to your PC. To go from PC back to rPi, highlight cache and prefs on the PC (left side of WinSCP) and rightclick and select UPLOAD.
    Last edited by garym; 2020-11-28 at 07:15.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Here's what I do.

1. In my old version of LMS running on an rPi with PiCorePlayer I copy (download) the old "prefs" and "cache" folders using WinSCP to my PC. These folders are in "/mnt/LMSfiles/slimserver/" (note "LMSfiles" is the name I gave the mounted USB drive to my rPi, and you may have used a different name. You can see the location by looking at the webGUI for LMS > Settings > Information tab, bottom of that page

2. Once saved on the PC, in the "prefs" folder, I located the file, "server.prefs" and open it with windows "notepad". Once open I search for "uuid" without the quotes. It should show up in two lines. I delete BOTH those lines. This info is specifically related to your old setup and will be replaced automatically in your new LMS setup.

3. Install new version of piCorePlayer, LMS, attach USB drive, etc. following the excellent instructions here:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/

4. Once new piCorePlayer and LMS is running on rPi, I go into the piCorePlayer webGUI and STOP LMS.

5. Then I reverse step 1. I copy (UPLOAD) the "prefs" and "cache" folders from my PC to the correct location on the rPi using WinSCP.

At this point when you open the LMS webGUI, you should see that your favorites, plugins, etc. are back in place. I recall that a handful of plugins my require some attention at this point, but fairly minor stuff.

Well that is mostly what I have done but I didn't know about changing the "UUID"s and I only copied the "prefs" folder and not the "cache"

When I first did it I just deleted the files in the right hand side pane and copyied over the folder and open it.

That did not work.

I tried with a new image and rename the files in the left hand side, copied over all the files from left to right. and that worked

I also had to re-load a few Plugins

I'll redo my procedure this afternoon and send that to @dejong@kraanendejong.nl

Thanks gary, top bloke (fancy a Turkey sandwich ? )

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Here's what I do.

1. In my old version of LMS running on an rPi with PiCorePlayer I copy (download) the old "prefs" and "cache" folders using WinSCP to my PC.* These folders are in "/mnt/LMSfiles/slimserver/" (note "LMSfiles" is the name I gave the mounted USB drive to my rPi, and you may have used a different name. You can see the location by looking at the webGUI for LMS > Settings > Information tab, bottom of that page

2. Once saved on the PC, in the "prefs" folder, I locate the file, "server.prefs" and open it with windows "notepad". Once open I search for "uuid" without the quotes. It should show up in two lines. I delete BOTH those lines. This info is specifically related to your old setup and will be replaced automatically in your new LMS setup.

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/

At this point when you open the LMS webGUI, you should see that your favorites, plugins, etc. are back in place. I recall that a handful of plugins may require some attention at this point, but fairly minor stuff. Perhaps you have to go through the simple "spotty" steps to authorize Spotify on your new LMS.

*Unless you've changed it, your UserID and PW for accessing the rPi with WinSCP (or any similar program) is:
    UserID: tc
    Password: piCore
    Thanks for your detailed instructions although I don't know how to download the prefs and cachefolder. I found them with winscp but then do not know how to copy them to my pc...
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Well that is mostly what I have done but I didn't know about changing the "UUID"s and I only copied the "prefs" folder and not the "cache"

When I first did it I just deleted the files in the right hand side pane and copyied over the folder and open it.

That did not work.

I tried with a new image and rename the files in the left hand side, copied over all the files from left to right. and that worked

I also had to re-load a few Plugins

I'll redo my procedure this afternoon and send that to @dejong@kraanendejong.nl

Thanks gary, top bloke (fancy a Turkey sandwich ? )

ronnie
    Thanks ronnie! I've got plenty of turkey here. I'll have a beer instead (well later, it's morning here).

It's been a while, but I think when I copied over the new cache and prefs folders to the rPi, WinSCP may have just asked me if I wanted to replace. Not sure. If not, I would have simply DELETED those folders on the rPi first. Of course renaming would work too (cacheOLD and prefsOLD). Deleting the two "uuid" lines is something that I learned from @mherger. I think that it doesn't matter if one is never using the old LMS setup, or not using it in the same network. But, say, you're setting up two different rPis with LMS that will sometimes both run in the same network. Something about the uuid names being identical will cause some confusion.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by dejong@kraanendejong.nl View Post
    Thanks for your detailed instructions although I don't know how to download the prefs and cachefolder. I found them with winscp but then do not know how to copy them to my pc...
    On the left side of WinSCP, navigate to something like the DESKTOP of your PC. On the right side of WinSCP, highlight/select the folder "cache", right click, and select DOWNLOAD. Then highlight/select the folder "prefs", right click and select DOWNLOAD. This will copy both folders to your PC.

Are you cool with this now Ton ? or would you still like a detailed "how to" .

I just right clicked the folder,selected copy, and pasted it on the Desktop

gary's way is "reet proper"

ronnie

That works a treat Gary, many thanks, no Plugins to add in after and both repos completely installed

Both my files are in

/usr/local/slimserver/
    I "downloaded" them to a folder on my PC (left hand pane)

On the new rpi LMS image I navigated to the same folder (right hand pane)

On the left hand pane I selected "upload" and confirmed "overwrite"

Name:  folder home.png
Views: 87
Size:  97.6 KB

Thanks a lot

ronnie

Edit; I left the UUIDs "as is", as this was only an exercise.

Note: they are located at lines

Using Search in NotePad ++

Name:  searchresult.png
Views: 79
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  find result.png
Views: 79
Size:  10.7 KB
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2020-11-28 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    That works a treat Gary, many thanks,
    Cheers! But thanks go to the way smarter people that figure all this stuff out and post on the forums. I'm just good at locating it on the forum and summarizing it in a (hopefully) useful way. And maybe that's because when it comes to computers I'm mostly just a "follow instructions and cut and paste" type of guy, so I try to summarize with that in mind.

I followed your steps Gary and now my music library is being scanned. My Material skin is already visible and also my favourites seem to appear in the way I used to see. Fantastic! Thank you both Gary and Ronnie for your help. When you're in the Netherlands, I'll be happy to serve you as many beer as you want. It's great that these forums are kept so alive by helpful people like you (and also Michael Herger not to forget)!
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

I followed your steps Gary and now my music library is being scanned. My Material skin is already visible and also my favourites seem to appear in the way I used to see. Fantastic! Thank you both Gary and Ronnie for your help. When you're in the Netherlands, I'll be happy to serve you as many beer as you want. It's great that these forums are kept so alive by helpful people like you (and also Michael Herger not to forget)!
    Fantastic news. Glad it worked/. Love the Netherlands (and their beer!). During this Covid time, I miss travel more than anything, domestic or international. Luckily, I was able to do a week long trip to Lisbon in February and a 10 day trip to Italy last October. Since then .....nothing I can't drive to. Here's to a better 2021.