Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    How to copy LMS data when upgrading to 6.0?

    Hi all,

    I use LMS 7.9.3 on pCP 3.21. I don't have Squeezelite running and my music files are stored on a attached Qnap NAS (I don't know if this information is relevant for my question). Because I had problems with upgrading to LMS 8.0, I first created a fresh image of pCP 6.0 on a new SD-card (thanks to help on the LMS-forum). On that new card I can work with LMS 8.0 but all my prefs, plugins, favourites of my old LMS are gone. Luckily I can put my old SD-card in pi so I can use my old LMS 7.9.3.

    In my old pCP 3.21 I can see a button to move my LMS Data but when I click that nothing happens. Or do I need to change the mount to Network?

    Name:  afbeelding_2020-11-28_095255.png
Views: 201
Size:  22.8 KB
    Last edited by dejong@kraanendejong.nl; 2020-11-28 at 02:07.
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    4,312
    I would leave it where it is.

    Is this because you are having trouble making a copy of your favourites folder?

    ronnie

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I would leave it where it is.

    Is this because you are having trouble making a copy of your favourites folder?

    ronnie
    yes, I found my folder via WinSCP but don't know how to copy
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    4,161
    I assume that trying to do an in-situ update from pCP 3 to pCP 6 is not going to work - so needs a new and empty SD card.

    If the network mounted partition is working from pCP 3 and you can write to that partition then I think it will work if you select that partition and choose Move.
    Then you would stop that system (proper close down) and run the new pCP with the fresh SD card ... and then configure that pCP to use the network partition for LMS data ... (make backups first) and then use the same trick in reverse to Move the data to the local partition on the SD card.
    Running LMS using a network mounted drive for its Cache might work (could be issues with how it accesses content within files) but even if it worked it would probably slow down LMS - hence the suggestion to move it back afterwards.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I assume that trying to do an in-situ update from pCP 3 to pCP 6 is not going to work - so needs a new and empty SD card.

    If the network mounted partition is working from pCP 3 and you can write to that partition then I think it will work if you select that partition and choose Move.
    Then you would stop that system (proper close down) and run the new pCP with the fresh SD card ... and then configure that pCP to use the network partition for LMS data ... (make backups first) and then use the same trick in reverse to Move the data to the local partition on the SD card.
    Running LMS using a network mounted drive for its Cache might work (could be issues with how it accesses content within files) but even if it worked it would probably slow down LMS - hence the suggestion to move it back afterwards.
    You're right, insitu didn't work. I understand what you mean. So I guess it's important first to check whether the change to the network mounted partition will work in pCP 3. How do I do that? Just click 'Network' and then change something in my favs or playlists? Second question is how to make a backup. Just copy the whole SD card in Windows?
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by dejong@kraanendejong.nl View Post
    Just copy the whole SD card in Windows?
    This is how I make a copy of a SD card using Windows



    Windows use Win32Disk Imager

    https://win32diskimager.org/


    I offer a couple of tips for the latter:

    1) Create an empty folder on the Desktop (or wherever you want to save the file)

    2) Append the .img suffix to the file name when entering it into the appropiate box (eg pcpbackupv6.1.0.img)

    3) Tick the box marked "Read Only Allocated Partitions" this will give the smallest image possible

    4) Read the "ReadMe" of the download and run it as "as Administrator"

    ronnie

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    4,312
    dejong@kraanendejong.nl

    I have been working on this all the morning and I'm pleased to say I have cracked it.

    I have seen references from people who save their "pref" file and reinstate it on a new version of LMS, but no definitive guide on how to do it.

    So I have been hacking about with WinScp and after a few failures, finally got it to work

    It's a bit clunky and belt and braces (I have no doubt there is a better, command line, way to do it) but it seems to work.

    If you are willing to take the risk, pm me an e-mail address and I'll send a guide with some screen shots (after lunch) .

    If you can follow the guide and it works, then I'll later put up a "how to" on the forum.

    ronnie

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post

    2) Append the .img suffix to the file name when entering it into the appropiate box (eg pcpbackupv6.1.0.img)
    I guess you mean pcpbackupv3.21.img? So with such a backup I'm sure that I can always return to pCP 3.21 including my favs, plugins, etc.? Cause I thought those files were on my Raspberry Pi...

    I can see there are two img. files on my SD-card: kernel4935.img and kernel4935v7.img. I assume that I choose both files in win32diskimager?
    Last edited by dejong@kraanendejong.nl; 2020-11-28 at 05:50.
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    dejong@kraanendejong.nl

    I have been working on this all the morning and I'm pleased to say I have cracked it.

    I have seen references from people who save their "pref" file and reinstate it on a new version of LMS, but no definitive guide on how to do it.

    So I have been hacking about with WinScp and after a few failures, finally got it to work

    It's a bit clunky and belt and braces (I have no doubt there is a better, command line, way to do it) but it seems to work.

    If you are willing to take the risk, pm me an e-mail address and I'll send a guide with some screen shots (after lunch) .

    If you can follow the guide and it works, then I'll later put up a "how to" on the forum.

    ronnie
    Thanks for your time! I almost gave up, I appreciate your efforts very much, I will send you my emailadress.
    Storage - QNAP TS269pro
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 - Raspberry Pi3 - piCorePlayer v6.0.0
    Living - Receiver/Duet - Dynaudio Xeo 5
    Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio
    Bathroom - Squeezebox Radio
    Study - Receiver/Duet - Yamaha Pianocraft RXE-600

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    4,312
    Quote Originally Posted by dejong@kraanendejong.nl View Post
    I guess you mean pcpbackupv3.21.img? So with such a backup I'm sure that I can always return to pCP 3.21 including my favs, plugins, etc.? Cause I thought those files were on my Raspberry Pi...


    Yes you call the file whatever you wish (I always have version number, and sometimes date, depending on what I am using it for)



    I can see there are two img. files on my SD-card: kernel4935.img and kernel4935v7.img. I assume that I choose both files in win32diskimager?

    No, you just use the letter given by windows, see the screen shot

    I always add .img to the filename as Windows leaves it off.
    It's fine if one can remember what the files is and one uses Win32 Disk Imager to write the new image but other writning tools won't recognise it

    Name:  how to.png
Views: 74
Size:  140.9 KB

    1) Card identity given by Windows

    2) Storage location

    3) This keeps the size as small as possible

    4) This strarts the copy process, there will be an option to veriy offered at the end

    ronnie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •