Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

HDMI Output - Capability/Good Enough for Me?

First post here - sorry if it's in the wrong place! Wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I like good sound.

Been using max2play for years, connected via a ú6 USB sound card with optical out to my old Yamaha AVR, streaming Deezer. I thought 'digital is digital' and I'd be getting the most out of my setup. I then got an Xbox one and connected it to my AVR also by optical and when I tried the xbox Deezer app, the sound difference was night and day. Was that the dirty clock I heard with the Pi?!

So I'm upgrading my system to a more modern AVR (Arcam SR250), new speakers and want to get the most of it. I have a collection of FLAC I haevn't heard in years, some of it high-res. I've seen the likes of the Allo boards, but what's the HDMI like on the Pi3? I gather it can output/carry PCM 24/192 but will I experience jitter? Is there any benefit to the add on boards?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mrrodge View Post
    I've seen the likes of the Allo boards, but what's the HDMI like on the Pi3? I gather it can output/carry PCM 24/192 but will I experience jitter?

Thanks!
    The HDMI on the rpi3/4 supports PCM 16/192.
    Code:
    alsacap
    *** Scanning for playback devices ***

Card 0, ID `b1', name `bcm2835 HDMI 1'
      Device 0, ID `bcm2835 HDMI 1', name `bcm2835 HDMI 1', 4 subdevices (4 available)
        1..8 channels, sampling rate 8000..192000 Hz
        Sample formats: U8, S16_LE
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The HDMI on the rpi3/4 supports PCM 16/192.
    Code:
    alsacap
    *** Scanning for playback devices ***

Card 0, ID `b1', name `bcm2835 HDMI 1'
      Device 0, ID `bcm2835 HDMI 1', name `bcm2835 HDMI 1', 4 subdevices (4 available)
        1..8 channels, sampling rate 8000..192000 Hz
        Sample formats: U8, S16_LE
    OK thanks. So if I fed it a 24/192 file, what will happen? Will the LMS transcode or the pCP box?

How about with normal 16/44.1? Will the HDMI sound as good as a dedicated digital out board?

OK thanks. So if I fed it a 24/192 file, what will happen? Will the LMS transcode or the pCP box?

How about with normal 16/44.1? Will the HDMI sound as good as a dedicated digital out board?
    My fist setup was a RPi 4 > HDMI > Yamaha AVR. I always felt it sounded good enough, even when playing sample rates higher than 44.1K, though I think that RPi4 has better HDMI and USB implementation than RPi3. That's why for RPi3 and lower you usually hear the recommendation of a HAT. So I would recommend you going for a RPi4 for HDMI or USB audio output.

Quote Originally Posted by chavezdaniel View Post
    My fist setup was a RPi 4 > HDMI > Yamaha AVR. I always felt it sounded good enough, even when playing sample rates higher than 44.1K, though I think that RPi4 has better HDMI and USB implementation than RPi3. That's why for RPi3 and lower you usually hear the recommendation of a HAT. So I would recommend you going for a RPi4 for HDMI or USB audio output.
    In what way is the HDMI on the 4 better? I already have a couple of 3's lying around so there's not much in it cost wise between putting a transport HAT on one of those (say a HifiBerry) and getting a 4 to use with HDMI.

In what way is the HDMI on the 4 better? I already have a couple of 3's lying around so there's not much in it cost wise between putting a transport HAT on one of those (say a HifiBerry) and getting a 4 to use with HDMI.
    The hdmi ports on the rpi4 only support 16bit as well. The alsacap command I ran in my previous post was from a 4.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The hdmi ports on the rpi4 only support 16bit as well. The alsacap command I ran in my previous post was from a 4.
    Sounds like a HAT then! Looking at Hifiberry Digi+ Pro. Not sure I believe the power supply debate. What's the thoughts of others?

Sounds like a HAT then! Looking at Hifiberry Digi+ Pro. Not sure I believe the power supply debate. What's the thoughts of others?
    I have had good results with the Allo Boss, combined with the Allo Isolator, running the Pi and Isolator/DAC off separate power supplies. Very happy with the sound. Very low noise on the outputs of the DAC. I built my first player a couple of years ago. Here's one implementation I did: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post919531