Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    it's important to make a physical note of that cross-wiring at both ends of the run - otherwise, a few years later, you or somebody else could get very confused!
    Especially if that next person plugs in a POE switch!
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Especially if that next person plugs in a POE switch!
    Ha! And they are of course far more commonly used these days..... I guess that all that would happen is that the POE box would likely indicate "not POE compliant"? On the other hand, how many of the "spare" 4 wires does POE use for power? Just 2 of them? So - with much faddling around - an 8-core with 2 wires inop might still be made to work for, say, a security camera? 4 wires of data, 2 of power?
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    2 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16907)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    We are considering building a vacation home. At our prior beach house, I had a Squeezebox 3 hooked up to an old Windows laptop with FLAC files on an external hard drive. We played through a compact stereo system in the main room, which was basically the whole downstairs. I had a separate SB1 that I sometimes ran with powered speakers on the porch. With a new build, I am wondering about a wired whole-house system like we have at home, or maybe even something wireless through wifi. Four zones will probably suffice. I haven’t really kept up with what’s available and what works well these days, as what has been in place in our house for at least 15 years still works well, except for needing the occasional reset. So, I’m looking for suggestions. If you were starting fresh, what would you do? I’d like to be able to use my digital files but also stream, as I have SiriusXM and Amazon music. What do you recommend?
    I know it's a no go for many, but I have a ReadyNas/Pi soloution, that I have created a dyndns access to. I have nothing but music on it, so I am not so worried to open it to the Internet. In my Summerhouse I can connect to it and in my car too.
    Works exellent and have not had any issues at all. Been using this soloution since 2009.
    In my Summerhouse I have made an digital out of an iPad, using a camara kit into a USB HUB. Then digital in to a Benchmark DAC1 and a pair of powered JBL LSR305. Sounds great . I have a 500/500 fiber conncection installed, but everything
    runs on wifi. Speed is over 350 mbs on wifi. So have no issues there. There is an annex in the Garden, and wifi is fine there too(mesh setup).
    I also have a UE Boombox that I use outside. I am really happy with this soloution.......
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Preamp Gato PRD-3S NPM, Martin Logan Vista speakers, Power-AMP Gato DPA-4004 (biamp setup).
    Kitchen: Transporter - Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Summerhouse: Touch - Bencmark DAC1, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

For those rooms where I plan to have proper hi-fi equipment, I'd still use a Squeezebox or Raspberry Pi emulator but for all the other rooms in my house, I might use Google or Amazon devices. It's amazing the first time you say, "Ok Google, play WCRB" or "Ok Google, who played bass on Kind of Blue?" For casual listening, the fidelity is fine. And, when desired, any of the Google devices can easily become LMS playback points via the "Chromecast bridge" plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    For those rooms where I plan to have proper hi-fi equipment, I'd still use a Squeezebox or Raspberry Pi emulator but for all the other rooms in my house, I might use Google or Amazon devices. It's amazing the first time you say, "Ok Google, play WCRB" or "Ok Google, who played bass on Kind of Blue?" For casual listening, the fidelity is fine. And, when desired, any of the Google devices can easily become LMS playback points via the "Chromecast bridge" plugin.
    And the Amazon devices can become ‘LMS playback points’ without even needing a plugin ... just by using the MediaServer skill.

Spam spam spam spam

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Spam alert

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk