Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Not sure Iíve tried either of my UCA202s with a Pi4 but I do have a Pi4 running with a Khalas Tone Board and for some reason itís connected to one of the USB2 interfaces rather than USB3. Iím sure I read somewhere that USB audio interfaces donít like USB3 but no idea where I read it or what the reasoning was.
    Over on the rpi forum some users have reported USB3 causes problems with the wireless network.

The use of a ferrite clip on clamp on the connection cable has been reported to be useful.

I don't know the manner in which these problems manifest.

Do a google search for "usb 3 and wireless networks", this is one of many results

https://customer.cradlepoint.com/s/a...0-Interference

ronnie

there is Tone 2 waiting in the wings

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Over on the rpi forum some users have reported USB3 causes problems with the wireless network.

The use of a ferrite clip on clamp on the connection cable has been reported to be useful.

Do a google search for "usb 3 and wireless networks", this is one of many results

https://customer.cradlepoint.com/s/a...0-Interference

ronnie

there is Tone 2 waiting in the wings
    The Tone 2 looks very nice !!
    https://www.khadas.com/tone2pro
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post

Interesting - though that sounds more like simple interference.

My mystery is why this will work for a day or two, and then the distortion starts.

I tried moving the USB key from the bottom USB 3 socket to the top one. I thought it was looking more hopeful, as all was good for a couple of days. But then I had to power cycle yesterday as electrical work was taking place at home. Barely 10 hours later, the distortion had come back - so much for that thought!

I've now Squeezelite Settings -> Close output setting = 600, so that Squeezelite will stop outputting to the UCA 202 10 mins after stopping/pausing, in the hope that the restart when I next play something will reset the connection to the UCA 202, in the same way that restarting Squeezelite appears to. You can hear the faint click in the audio feed when this timeout kicks in, and on subsequent restart of playing. I'll monitor this over the next few days and see how it fares - but it's still a workaround rather than a root cause fix.
    Server: piCorePlayer 8.0.0 on Pi 4B 2GB running LMS 8.1.1, with library on local 512GB USB drive
    Listening on: 2 x Squeezebox Radios 8.0.1 , and direct from the Pi using a Beringer UCA202 USB audio interface

Quote Originally Posted by AlecSp View Post
    I've now Squeezelite Settings -> Close output setting = 600, so that Squeezelite will stop outputting to the UCA 202 10 mins after stopping/pausing, in the hope that the restart when I next play something will reset the connection to the UCA 202, in the same way that restarting Squeezelite appears to. You can hear the faint click in the audio feed when this timeout kicks in, and on subsequent restart of playing. I'll monitor this over the next few days and see how it fares - but it's still a workaround rather than a root cause fix.
    Just reporting back after a couple of weeks that this appears to have resolved my problem - or, at least, is working around it.

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated, and really helpful to have positive experience of others with the UCA 202 and some inspiration on things to try.
    Server: piCorePlayer 8.0.0 on Pi 4B 2GB running LMS 8.1.1, with library on local 512GB USB drive
    Listening on: 2 x Squeezebox Radios 8.0.1 , and direct from the Pi using a Beringer UCA202 USB audio interface

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am experiencing the same issue as the OP described.
    I am using an RPI4 (1GB) with logitechmediaserver 7.9.3 and localPlayer plugin connected to a USB Dac/Amp - a Topping TP30.
    Periodically I get distortion on one channel. It can run for hours, even days and be perfect, but eventually it manifests. I have searched a lot and tried the suggestions in this thread as well those I have in seen Ralphy's comments on a similar problem.
    Here is what I tried:
    1. Upgraded localPlayer binary to v1.9.9-1364
    2. Changed localPlayer seetings to include -C 600 and switched off mmap
    3. Stopped using localPlayer and used a std alone instance of squeezelite (v1.9.9-1364) - that's restarted every 24hrs
    4. Switched to a BCRobotics Power hat fed by a laptop charger (19v / 4amp) stepped down to 12v using galvanic-isolated DC-DC converter - so should be plenty of juice
    Here is the squeezelite cmdline:
    /usr/bin/squeezelite-armv6hf -o hw:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -n Office -m 0a 0b 0c 04 05 06 -s 192.168.254.46 -a 120 4 16 0 -C 600 -r 44100 -R vX 4 20 70 110 50
    Appreciate this is a difficult issue to repro/diagnose, but if there's any help/comments anyone can provide, I'd very much welcome it.

Thx in advance, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by vlgindeed View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I am experiencing the same issue as the OP described.
    Interesting...

So, first of all, take a listen to the Soundcloud samples in the first post - does your problem manifest in a similar manner.

With mine, in simple summary, it appeared fine on my Pi 3B+, just not on my Pi 4.

Since I configured Squeezelite Settings -> Close output setting = 600, I have not experienced the problem in over six months. I still believe this to be a workaround, rather than a true resolution, but I'll settle for that.

Thx, for the update. Yes the samples you posted sound very similar to what I am experiencing. It can always be rectified by a restart of squeezelite. But using Close output setting = 600 hasn't helped in my case. Perhaps I need to re-post in the squeezelite thread as well.

Thx, for the update. Yes the samples you posted sound very similar to what I am experiencing. It can always be rectified by a restart of squeezelite. But using Close output setting = 600 hasn't helped in my case. Perhaps I need to re-post in the squeezelite thread as well.
    Interesting - at least it indicates that my problem was not necessarily a one-off.

A restart would also fix mine.

Out of interest, how long does it take before you see the problem? It used to be a day or two of uptime before I'd see it.

And, just to check, after changing the Close Output setting, you have done a restart? I can't remember if I found it was needed, but I'd have done a complete server restart just to be sure.

And I've only just spotted that you and I don't even have the same DAC, so I wonder if there is some wider issue at work. Possibly a 64 bit issue, as I didn't see the problem on my Pi 3B+?

Yes - uptime varies before incident. Sometimes its hours - I listen to R2 while working from home at it can occur towards eof the day. But other times it can go for a day or 2 like you say.

But I have switched to using a 'standalone' instance of squeezelite on the same RPI4 instead of using localPlayer plugin in LMS on the same RPI4. That way I can schedule a restart everyday - hoping this would resolve my issue. It has helped, but the issue still occurs randomly.

My thoughts are with RPI4 and USB. I am not entirely certain the issue is restricted to squeezelite, but have not tried any other player/streamer long term to find out as its not practical. I am going to post in squeezelite thread as well.

Thx for your thoughts.

Yes - uptime varies before incident. Sometimes its hours - I listen to R2 while working from home at it can occur towards eof the day. But other times it can go for a day or 2 like you say.

But I have switched to using a 'standalone' instance of squeezelite on the same RPI4 instead of using localPlayer plugin in LMS on the same RPI4. That way I can schedule a restart everyday - hoping this would resolve my issue. It has helped, but the issue still occurs randomly.

My thoughts are with RPI4 and USB. I am not entirely certain the issue is restricted to squeezelite, but have not tried any other player/streamer long term to find out as its not practical. I am going to post in squeezelite thread as well.

Thx for your thoughts.
    Iím using a Pi4 in my Living Room coupled with a Khadas Tone Board which is a high quality USB DAC. Itís connected via one of the USB2 ports. Iím not seeing (hearing) any issue with this nor with an older Pi3 and a Behringer UCA202.

I have however experienced an occasional issue as described with a HiFiMe USB Sabre DAC but as reported before a restart of Squeezelite fixes the issue. Itís very very rare though.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS