Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    You can restrict some of the cookies, otherwise it's back to the Roberts

    Attachment 32273

    ronnie
    Surely it's not just cookies. You log on, then you play stuff from their site. So they know, at their end, what you play, even without any cookies.
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19,956
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I guess so. Even so, the idea that the Beeb will track what I listen to and offer me things that it thinks I might like is unattractive, to put it mildly.
    You can use a special BBC only email address to register and that will limit.

    However it is likely you are being more aggressively tracked by any streaming service you might be using. IIRC BBC just wants an email address and age. - they're mainly after demographics & usage to get more money from Govt. You can only take so many precautions. Didn't the NHS sell "anonymised" DNA data ?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    Surely it's not just cookies. You log on, then you play stuff from their site. So they know, at their end, what you play, even without any cookies.
    Well apparently they need to have the metadata to justify all the money they have/are spending on "Sounds", and because everybody else does it

    One can complain and rail against it (thousands have) but the Beeb just ignores all complaints.

    One either accepts it, or doesn't, it's the individual's choice

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You can use a special BBC only email address to register and that will limit.

    However it is likely you are being more aggressively tracked by any streaming service you might be using. IIRC BBC just wants an email address and age. - they're mainly after demographics & usage to get more money from Govt. You can only take so many precautions. Didn't the NHS sell "anonymised" DNA data ?
    I'm not using other streaming services. The point I'm making is that if logged on the Beeb know what you play from the Beeb, regardless of cookies, don't they, and then 'offer' other programmes?
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19,956
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I'm not using other streaming services. The point I'm making is that if logged on the Beeb know what you play from the Beeb, regardless of cookies, don't they, and then 'offer' other programmes?
    Unfortunately personalisation is the way to get the "mobile" users on board - screen are too small to show everything (and BBC have literally millions of programs available to play)
    BBC being Govt funded need to show the public is using their service.
    I agree with your point of view but in some instances no choice has been offered so I reserve some email addresses to register for such services. I generally turn off/disable all personalisation and "offering" aspects of a service.

    The good thing about LMS - you have choice. BBCiPLayer, BBCiPlayerExtra or using the Podcast feed raw options are still available to you with no tracking.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,169
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Unfortunately personalisation is the way to get the "mobile" users on board - screen are too small to show everything (and BBC have literally millions of programs available to play)
    BBC being Govt funded need to show the public is using their service.
    I agree with your point of view but in some instances no choice has been offered so I reserve some email addresses to register for such services. I generally turn off/disable all personalisation and "offering" aspects of a service.

    The good thing about LMS - you have choice. BBCiPLayer, BBCiPlayerExtra or using the Podcast feed raw options are still available to you with no tracking.
    All true!
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I'm not using other streaming services. The point I'm making is that if logged on the Beeb know what you play from the Beeb, regardless of cookies, don't they, and then 'offer' other programmes?
    Sorry, just noticed this thread.

    My view is as follows :

    The BBC Sounds Plugin only offer other programmes if you asked to be offered them (ie go to "My Recommendations" in the Plugin or go in to the featured podcasts). You don't have to look in there if you don't want to!
    Signing in gives you lots of benefits including subscription and bookmarks and continues listening across the different access methods (website and app).

    The BBC have strong governance processes and are very open about why they want you to sign in. https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/wh...you-to-sign-in

    We are being tracked all the time. if you have a mobile smart phone, the tracking that is going on makes signing in to the BBC seem incredibly trivial.
    I personally am much more comfortable with the BBC tracking me than the global for profit massive tech companies (Amazon etc)

    LMS itself is recording cookies all the time and you are being tracked by using various internet based systems on LMS anyway . Including on mysqueezebox.com (if you sign in, probably even if you don't).

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Western & Northern New York
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I'm not really keen on keeping permanently signed in to the BBC for BBC Sounds. Am I being stupidly paranoid?
    I'm in the US, and not really familiar with the BBC Podcast, but what I am using is the Podcast Search though the material skin. It seaches ITunes and Gpodder. I did a search in itunes for "BBC" (not knowing what you are looking for):

    Name:  2020-11-28 07_12_57-Only A Game Ľ WBFO 88.7 __ Logitech Media Server.png
Views: 56
Size:  143.4 KB

    One other thing if you are not familiar with Phillippe's "Reliable" Plugin. It greatly helps the frustrating tendency for podcasts disconnecting https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...TP-connections Just remember to "enable" if in plugin settings (default is disabled)

    Jim

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    15

    Many thanks - Podcasts at last :-)

    Thanks for this thread. Very useful to get podcasts listed on my Rasp Pi/Picore/LMS set up.
    Listening to 99% Invisible podcasts for the first time - very interesting.

    The BBC podcasts can take a while to load each list of options and some of them don't actually load the specific podcast.
    I think for the BBC, I will mostly just subscribe to a programme via BBC Sounds.

    Anyhow - another step forwards for my listening pleasure :-)

    Take care everyone,

    Julian

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Operajulian View Post
    The BBC podcasts can take a while to load each list of options and some of them don't actually load the specific podcast.
    Yes. The problem is that the BBC updates the opml listing dynamically, with newest broadcast listed first. Unfortunately LMS cannot handle this situation as it expects the listing to remain static while you're browsing the menu.

    I recall this being pointed out, somewhat late in the day some years ago, when LMS' menu handling was being substantially re-engineered. It was considered too late to warrant trying to make a late change for what was considered a "rare" circumstance. That is my recollection, anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •