Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A really dumb first-time podcast user question

I have never, ever, played a podcast from anywhere. I can see that I can download stuff from the BBC website, but what I thought I should be able to do was see a list of stuff in LMS and select and play from there.

I have the podcast plugin and settings page, but no idea what to put in it for a set of BBC programmes.

I've searched, but everything I've found so far assumes basic knowledge that I simply don't have. Can someone give me a clue?
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I have never, ever, played a podcast from anywhere. I can see that I can download stuff from the BBC website, but what I thought I should be able to do was see a list of stuff in LMS and select and play from there.

I have the podcast plugin and settings page, but no idea what to put in it for a set of BBC programmes.

I've searched, but everything I've found so far assumes basic knowledge that I simply don't have. Can someone give me a clue?
    Podcasts are just like "Listen Again" programs.

If you BBC specific stuff you can find them either with BBC iPlayerExtra plugin or the BBC Sounds plugin (you need to register with BBC Sounds web site). BBC Sounds will probably be better as it can remember where you stopped.

If it is BBC podcasts you are after then BBC iPlayer Extras is your best bet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Podcasts are just like "Listen Again" programs.

If you BBC specific stuff you can find them either with BBC iPlayerExtra plugin or the BBC Sounds plugin (you need to register with BBC Sounds web site). BBC Sounds will probably be better as it can remember where you stopped.
    My understanding was that the files iplayerExtra plays disappear quite quickly (after 3 or 4 weeks at most) whereas podcasts don't. Is that not true?
    Last edited by PasTim; 2020-11-19 at 15:46.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

I'd also quite like to know how to use the podcast plugin for BBC programmes, just so I get a bit more of a grip on how things work.

If you paste the following URL into the settings page you will have access to a hierarchical list of BBC Podcasts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts.opml

But it's not that convenient, after a while, because the ordering changes as new podcasts are released.

But you can paste individual URLs of podcasts that you like:

From Our Own Correspondent: http://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/p02nrtpm.rss
    BBC Inside Science: http://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/b036f7w2.rss

Where did I get these ? From the, rather small, RSS link that each podcast website provides.
    Look on here, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03...odes/downloads, for example, it's somewhere in the top right hand part of the web site.

Or do as @slartibartfast suggests.

RSS podcast feeds is what you're looking for, in general. I hope this gives sufficient clue.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    If you paste the following URL into the settings page you will have access to a hierarchical list of BBC Podcasts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts.opml

But it's not that convenient, after a while, because the ordering changes as new podcasts are released.

But you can paste individual URLs of podcasts that you like:

From Our Own Correspondent: http://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/p02nrtpm.rss
    BBC Inside Science: http://podcasts.files.bbci.co.uk/b036f7w2.rss

Where did I get these ? From the, rather small, RSS link that each podcast website provides.
    Look on here, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03...odes/downloads, for example, it's somewhere in the top right hand part of the web site.

Or do as @slartibartfast suggests.

RSS podcast feeds is what you're looking for, in general. I hope this gives sufficient clue.
    Thanks very much. That's just what I needed to get going.

I'm not really keen on keeping permanently signed in to the BBC for BBC Sounds. Am I being stupidly paranoid?

I'm not really keen on keeping permanently signed in to the BBC for BBC Sounds. Am I being stupidly paranoid?
    In my view, no. But I am relaxed about it... not that I've put it to the test, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    This is what BBCiPlayerExtra uses.