Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cfuttrup View Post
    Hi Jeff

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I can instead replace the regulator for a 5 Volt one. Let me open the box and see what's there...

/Claus
    Dependent on what regulator is in there already yes but power (heat) dissipation (temperature rise) will nearly double so this must be watched for !

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2021-02-14 at 14:43.

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    If the case is metal it should be connected to the safety earth?
    Good spot, yes absolutely to all metal panels

Jeff

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

The regulator is a Semtech Corp. EZ1085ACT, the print on the chip says:

SC

EZ1085ACT
    E93072A

In a TO-220 case. Please let me know if you have any tips on what regulator could replace this one to obtain ca. 5 Volt.

P.S. My house is grounded and the cable and the socket on the power supply, but I see that 'ground' ends in a blind spot on the PCB.

/Claus
    Last edited by cfuttrup; 2021-02-20 at 04:47.

SC

EZ1085ACT
    E93072A

In a TO-220 case. Please let me know if you have any tips on what regulator could replace this one to obtain ca. 5 Volt.

P.S. My house is grounded and the cable and the socket on the power supply, but I see that 'ground' ends in a blind spot on the PCB.

/Claus
    Hmmm Its not a simple regulator circuit then !

The EZ1085ACT is a simple 3 terminal regulator but its a 1-4v output in a "simple" circuit

I really need the circuit diagram to work out how they're using it if you have it

Jeff

Add a DC-DC Converter?

If I am understanding correctly....

You could use the PS as is, and add a linear regulator (LM317) circuit to the tail end of your 9V supply to create the 5v source. Something like this: http://www.energiazero.org/arduino_s...wn_circuit.pdf but there are others. I see that a few of these modules are capable of 1.5A, but the device itself is capable of over 2A, probably determined by heat sinking.

or a DC-DC (switching) buck module, something like this https://components101.com/modules/xl...gulator-module that would supply more current, run more efficient, and require less heat sinking, but because it is switching, not sure if it would cause any emi problems to the pi or any nearby low level audio signals.

Note that I am familiar with both circuit designs, but have never used the modules in the links I supplied, I just went out and looked for examples.

Jim

SC

EZ1085ACT
    E93072A

/Claus
    Hope you don't mind me saying so but I think you are making this more difficult than it should be, you could use a toy steam engine to charge a 6v lead acid battery and regulate that to 5v......but why the hell would you!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-USB-24V...UAAOSwvWFfuHmC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regulated...gAAOSwS~tewCyz

I know you have to wait and maybe pay charges but there are so many switch mode power supplies available for very little.

Bonne chance Strebor

Thank you all of you. Highly appreciated feedback.

I found Semtech EZ1585 should work for reaching 5 Volt out, but yeah, I have no idea about electronics and more modifications will probably be required. I'll try to find the old papers with the circuit diagram, etc. Only god knows where they are. The PSU was purchased in 2009. Knowing me, the papers are somewhere, I didn't throw any of it away...

I also looked at Mouser and found Texas Instruments LM1084 (which could work with input voltage up to 25 Volt), but I'm dangerous around electronics since I don't know if these regulators (or whatever they are) are compatible.

Strebor56, you're probaly right. I'm just trying to use something I already have, and the target is to be able to feed more than the standard 3 Ampere into an USB-port. How about 4.8 Ampere like the EZ1585 can deliver (= 24 Watt). I'm considering to feed it to the GPIO pins directly and bypass the USB chipset on the Pi. If 24 Watt doesn't make my Raspberry Pi happy, then nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    Hmmm Its not a simple regulator circuit then !

The EZ1085ACT is a simple 3 terminal regulator but its a 1-4v output in a "simple" circuit

I really need the circuit diagram to work out how they're using it if you have it

Jeff
    It looks like a simple resistor change would be all that was needed but as previously mentioned if the transformer isn't changed the power dissipated will be increased. It shouldn't be hard to trace the circuit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thank you all of you. Highly appreciated feedback.

I found Semtech EZ1585 should work for reaching 5 Volt out, but yeah, I have no idea about electronics and more modifications will probably be required. I'll try to find the old papers with the circuit diagram, etc. Only god knows where they are. The PSU was purchased in 2009. Knowing me, the papers are somewhere, I didn't throw any of it away...

I also looked at Mouser and found Texas Instruments LM1084 (which could work with input voltage up to 25 Volt), but I'm dangerous around electronics since I don't know if these regulators (or whatever they are) are compatible.

Strebor56, you're probaly right. I'm just trying to use something I already have, and the target is to be able to feed more than the standard 3 Ampere into an USB-port. How about 4.8 Ampere like the EZ1585 can deliver (= 24 Watt). I'm considering to feed it to the GPIO pins directly and bypass the USB chipset on the Pi. If 24 Watt doesn't make my Raspberry Pi happy, then nothing will.
    If you aren't sure what you are doing just buy a Raspberry Pi power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    If you aren't sure what you are doing just buy a Raspberry Pi power supply.

Could do but why would someone who's purchased an expensive linear power supply want to replace it with a switching type ?

Jeff