Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Power to the piCorePlayer

Hi there

I have a setup with Raspberry Pi3+, mounted with the ApplePi DAC (no longer available).

My problem is that I have a yellow lightning-bolt, and during boot process I get a 'under-voltage' error.

Wifi and Bluetooth + HDMI is disabled to reduce the power requirement, and I'm using standard settings (not overclocking, almost rather the opposite).

I know the ApplePi requires quite some juice. Therefore it is default delivered with a powerful 5.25 Volt and 3 Ampere PSU. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HB44IE6/

I think my problem is the cable. It cannot be replaced on this particular PSU. Does anyone know of another one which can deliver about 16 Watt?

Ideally one where I can decide what USB cable I use (replaceable), and I'd like one with 20 AWG wire inside for the power-line. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Original-...dp/B01KI4LYFM/

... Unfortunately this reseller doesn't ship to Norway or Denmark.

P.S. I did a thermal image on the DAC-board and the temperature is 43 deg Celsius ... the developer and I agree, that's low, and there's nothing on the board that is near dead and causing unusual power draw.

I really think it's that darn cable, or maybe just the connector - maybe some contact cleaner could solve the problem. Anyone else have such problems, and how did you solve it?

Any comment is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Claus

Do you see the yellow flash only during the boot process?
    If yes (and the yellow flash disappears) and the device appears to work without problem afterwards then ... I suggest ignoring it.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by cfuttrup View Post
    Hi there

I have a setup with Raspberry Pi3+, mounted with the ApplePi DAC (no longer available).

My problem is that I have a yellow lightning-bolt, and during boot process I get a 'under-voltage' error.

..........I really think it's that darn cable, or maybe just the connector - maybe some contact cleaner could solve the problem. Anyone else have such problems, and how did you solve it?

Any comment is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Claus
    Yes I've had this problem and it was the cable, I now use 150mm or 200mm cables with cheap Lidl four port 4.8Amp USB wall wart, no problem on a Pi 4 and USB SSD.
    I had a Kodi instance that I had to unplug the micro USB plug every couple of months to restore the contact resistivity or it would strike me down with lightening.
    Bonne chance . Strebor

Hi Paul - the yellow lightning bolt is there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by strebor56 View Post
    Yes I've had this problem and it was the cable, I now use 150mm or 200mm cables with cheap Lidl four port 4.8Amp USB wall wart, no problem on a Pi 4 and USB SSD.
    I had a Kodi instance that I had to unplug the micro USB plug every couple of months to restore the contact resistivity or it would strike me down with lightening.
    Bonne chance . Strebor
    Hi Strebor - thanks for your report. Do you by any chance have more information on the 4.8 Ampere power supply and the cables you prefer to use?

/Claus

piCorePlayer puts the rpi board in performance mode during boot, and then at the tail end of boot, drops the board back to "ondemand" So if you have a stressed power supply or weak cable, it completely makes sense why it is only seen at boot.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Hi Paul - the yellow lightning bolt is there all the time.

/Claus
    The latest cable I purchased that is in use with a Pi4 is a Belkin Câble USB-C (Câble de Recharge Boost Charge USB-C vers USB, Câble USB Type-C pour Note10, S10, Pixel 4, iPad Pro, Nintendo Switch, etc 15 cm, Noir) as purchased from A....fr but any that says fast charge or boost 3A rated will work well especially at only 15cm long the series resistance is going to be negligible. It's not chipped as far as I know
    The Lidl/Silvercrest HG02053 USB wall wort is actually rated at 3.4A 2.4 max on any one port they were less than 10Euro when I got them.

I tend to build the USB power into things, there are plenty of 5A rated 12-24Vin/230Vac 5V out modules to be had on ebay. The Amp/DAC boards mostly have power on board, Ive also used UPS Hats and that worked well for my portable pCp.

The most problematic situation is if you want a plain power Hat for a Pi4, no UPS just 12/24 in 5V to the gpio I could not find one sourced in Europe

That utterly exhausts my thoughts on powering a PI

Strebor

I hope to wake-up this old thread and find someone who can guide me a bit.

The Raspberry Pi I have seems to be near its last days of living. Maybe a bit early to conclude, but I get the yellow lightning bolt, and the device reboots every now and then, seemlingly more and more often and I can't seem to feed it enough power. I'm about ready to try a solid piece of linear power supply. In fact I already have one, but it's made for the Squeezebox Duet and with about 9 Volt of output. Is there a kind soul in this forum, who has a bit of electronics skill and who could help me exchange the transformer to convert it to 5 Volt output?

Here's a picture of the power supply (with 30.000 uF capacitors): https://www.cfuttrup.com/duet/WLabs_PCB_small.jpg
    And for completeness here's the HTML page about the PSU: https://www.cfuttrup.com/streamingau...ardwareupgrade

From the picture I gather this is a 229C16 transformer, and it looks like it can be connected either to 115 Volt or 230 Volt depending on how it's mounted on the PCB, and that each give about 8 Volt output. I have no idea how this becomes 9 Volt. I don't know much about this, but presumably the C16 means it's a C-core (?) and 16 = 2 * 8 Volt, and for an equivalent 5 Volt output, I should look for something called 229C9 ... ?

Best regards,
    Claus

I hope to wake-up this old thread and find someone who can guide me a bit.

The Raspberry Pi I have seems to be near its last days of living. Maybe a bit early to conclude, but I get the yellow lightning bolt, and the device reboots every now and then, seemlingly more and more often and I can't seem to feed it enough power. I'm about ready to try a solid piece of linear power supply. In fact I already have one, but it's made for the Squeezebox Duet and with about 9 Volt of output. Is there a kind soul in this forum, who has a bit of electronics skill and who could help me exchange the transformer to convert it to 5 Volt output?

Here's a picture of the power supply (with 30.000 uF capacitors): https://www.cfuttrup.com/duet/WLabs_PCB_small.jpg
    And for completeness here's the HTML page about the PSU: https://www.cfuttrup.com/streamingau...ardwareupgrade

From the picture I gather this is a 229C16 transformer, and it looks like it can be connected either to 115 Volt or 230 Volt depending on how it's mounted on the PCB, and that each give about 8 Volt output. I have no idea how this becomes 9 Volt. I don't know much about this, but presumably the C16 means it's a C-core (?) and 16 = 2 * 8 Volt, and for an equivalent 5 Volt output, I should look for something called 229C9 ... ?

Best regards,
    Claus
    I do not think you'll easily get a transformer to replace this one but the fact that it appears to be regulated will not help you.

What is the part number on the regulator (the TO220 Part attached to the heatsink ?)

Jeff

EDIT: If you have the schematic diagram / build instructions that would also be usefull !
    Last edited by Jeff07971; 2021-02-14 at 09:36.

Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Hi Jeff

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I can instead replace the regulator for a 5 Volt one. Let me open the box and see what's there...

/Claus

If the case is metal it should be connected to the safety earth?