Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

piCorePlayer 6 and watchdog timer?

Every few weeks my pCP 6.0 + Pi touchscreen device freezes. Is it possible to use the Pi's hardware watchdog to force quick, automatic recovery? FWIW I'm using a 3B+.

Thanks!
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

We have a reboot function, but thereĺs not a way to detect jivelite not being responsive.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thanks. I may give this a try -- the diagnostics shows the bcm2835_wdt kernel module is being loaded, so it seems it should just be a matter of making sure startup kicks off a script that repeatedly touches /dev/watchdog.
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.

Jivelite locking up is a long time known issue, It's random, and has never been able to be tracked down. It normally only affects Jivelite.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Jivelite locking up is a long time known issue, It's random, and has never been able to be tracked down. It normally only affects Jivelite.
    Thanks. Huh, so the watchdog timer wouldn't help there. Nor, I guess, would daily restarts of Squeezelite. But how would you recommend restarting jivelite? Just 'sudo killall jivelite' and let /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh respawn it?

How stuck does jivelite get? ISTM it should be pretty easy to modify it to do something like "touch" a RAMfs file periodically, and then the jivelite.sh shell script could notice if that file was too old, indicating a hung jivelite process?

Jivelite lockup is related to timer variables overflowing in the jive code that occurs every 24 days +20:31 . Affects the radio, touch and controller as well.

See this thread for a discussion.

To avoid it I use this custom cron command in the pcp web admin tweaks tab to restart jivelite twice a month.

Code:
    30 2 5,21 * * pkill -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
    We would need implement a watchdog semaphore in jivelite similiar to that in squeezeplay on the hardware players and then run a watchdog daemon at boot in pcp to monitor jivelite and restart as needed.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2020-11-16 at 07:18.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Jivelite lockup is related to timer variables overflowing in the jive code that occurs every 24 days +20:31 . Affects the radio, touch and controller as well.

See this thread for a discussion.

To avoid it I use this custom cron command in the pcp web admin tweaks tab to restart jivelite twice a month.

Code:
    Thanks! I'm going to try a combination of that (to address the known bug) and a little shell script to write a byte to /dev/watchdog every 7 seconds (to address problems that the OS can't handle).

After 26d of working fine, my time display has just locked up.

Cron has this:

Any suggestions for diagnosis/remedy before I reboot it?

Quote Originally Posted by mr-b View Post
    After 26d of working fine, my time display has just locked up.

Cron has this:

Any suggestions for diagnosis/remedy before I reboot it?
    FWIW, the cron job restarting jivelite has also proved insufficient for me -- several days ago my screen froze so I enabled the scheduled reboot tweak, set to do so once a week. IIRC, when my screen froze most recently the PcP was still responsive enough that I could use the web interface to reboot it. I haven't tried setting up anything like remote syslog so I don't know if the watchdog timer has ever kicked in for real; as far as I know, it's just the Jive UI that's getting messed up, and it has not been frequent enough to motivate me to investigate further. I do kinda wish I'd SSHed in the other day and at least looked around some before rebooting. Oh, well.

Tx - I've enabled the weekly PCP reboot option now too. Yes the UI works fine, just the display is frozen.
    I'd no idea what to look for though when it did happen, but I might enable syslog for S&G if I get the time.