Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    BBC only do 48Khz so 384kHz could be overkill. The user should not over-engineer his solution.
    I hear what you say but he didn't say that all he used was BBC he also referred to FLAC from his NAS for example.

Apart from future proofing and sound quality my choice is also influenced by a very high WAF.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Without Power supply?

Very high WAF indeed. Does the Khadas board need a separate power supply or is it solely powered via the USB connection? (Never used a USB DAC in my life)

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTommy View Post
    Very high WAF indeed. Does the Khadas board need a separate power supply or is it solely powered via the USB connection? (Never used a USB DAC in my life)
    It operates in 2 modes but in both it is powered by USB

Operates as a USB Dac where both power and input is via USB and also you can power via USB (a phone charger or similar) but have coaxial input. If no sound is delvered via USB then it switches input to coaxial. There is no toslink.

In my config it takes sound input from Pi USB and is powered by the USB. Easy set up with piCorePlayer.

It is very detailed and you can actually hear a difference between local Flac at 16/44.1 and Qobuz HD at 24/96 or 24/192. I was surprised at how much I can now hear. It is a big step up from the SB3 that was there.

EDIT. Earlier I said it was capable of 32/384 - that isn't actually correct. The Pi will output 32/384 but the Khadas Tone Board will actually handle 32/768 - if you are going to connect it to a Windows PC you need drivers to get the high res. Natively Windows only recognises it as 24/96.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2020-11-17 at 02:07.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Absolutely bpa. No over-engineering here!

I've a latent interest in proper hi-fi but haven't owned any for many years. I haven't the time, the space, the privacy any more - maybe one day. I've allowed myself a little amp with digital inputs and some bookshelf speakers and for now I'm just happy to have a slick way of accessing my ripped CDs and radio on that. So I only really have a need for 44.1k 16bit FLAC and decent Radio 3. I've a few hybrid SACDs that I can't play at the moment but not many.

As for the audio out on the pi - I can now report back on that. I built my piCorePlayer #2 using an old V1 pi. Worked a treat. It is currently plugged into the aux on a Pure DAB radio in the kitchen and is absolutely fine in that scenario. I am not hearing any excess of noise or distortion - perfectly acceptable. I've 2 more spares, I'll use those for the kids bedrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenot... View Post
    Absolutely bpa. No over-engineering here!
    That's good. There have been users who have mixed up bitrate (e.g. 320kbps) with sample rate (324.8kHz).