Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The update as promised.

Versions are now as follows:

LMS:
    Version: 8.0.0 - 1605166211 @ Thu Nov 12 08:53:04 CET 2020

PCP
    Living Room | piCorePlayer v6.1.0 | www v0009 | linux 4.19.122-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.7-1282-pCP

Thanks mherger for updating the docker - that infinite loop bug is squashed.

So where are we now. I've tried that TuneIn Radio3 stream and, drum roll please...same result: network dies. So now I've changed focus to TuneIn and the stream itself.

Here's an interesting article https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthe...2-7f7139641582

I can confirm that Radio 3 is not available via the TuneIn website: https://tunein.com/radio/BBC-Radio-3-913-s24941/

But I do get some brief output via TuneIn on piCorePlayer before the crash, so I guess the TuneIn plugin is in some way accessing a stream that is still provided in order to keep internet radio appliances working.

I'm calling it a night now, I'll look into the particulars of the streams tomorrow. I'm pretty happy actually; I feel like my threat to give up on network audio just because of a random problem with a particular radio stream would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. PiCorePlayer with Jivelite still seems like the slick, no-frills, no-vendor lock-in solution I've been looking for. Thanks for all your help keeping the dream alive.

But I must sort out the Radio 3 thing, that's what I listen to most. I feel that even if the stream is bad or unsupportable, piCorePlayer should fail more gracefully. But that's for tomorrow, and probably in a new thread.

Not sure if you are UK or non UK (and if non UK whether using a VPN) .

I think due to a UK court case. a few months ago, Tunein would not play many station - so although they show the entry - the station did not play. Not sure current status - some stations were restored.

In short, at the moment Tune-in is not 100% reliable when playing stations but Tune-in doesn't relay the station - it just passes an URL of the station to LMS. Using Tune-in can add metadata - so symptoms of problems (e.g. audio vs metadata) will indicate where the problem lies (Tune-in vs station/player).

As a R3 test it would be better to avoid Tune-in and create favorites to test playing Radio 3.

1.128kbps MP3 URL
    http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasele...adio_three.pls

2. 320kbps AAC UK Only URL
    http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasele...adio_three.pls

There are plenty of LMS & RPi users which can play stations (incl R3) without a problem so there is something specific in your setup that need to be identified.

You said there is a "crash" - but it is not clear whether LMS or the RPi player crashes and and what are the symptoms of the crash.

I managed to get into a state where I could not get Jivelite to connect to the LMS today despite uninstalling, resetting etc. So I took the plunge and reflashed the SD card before trying your suggestions. So unfortunately, I am not entirely controlling my variables here. But there is some progress

mp3 stream works! Good.

AAC stream doesn't. This from LMS log:
    Code:
    Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (192) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/http-icy-aac-lc-a/format/pls/proto/http/transferformat/hls/vpid/bbc_radio_three.pls: 404 Not Found.
    In both cases the network connection on the Pi remains stable.

And then to try the TuneIn stream again just to confirm the old symptoms...it works now. Doh!

As I say, I've not controlled my variables, but I do think everything is as it was with one exception: jivelite is not installed yet.

More info:
    • I am in the UK
    • I am not using a VPN

Sorry I thought I'd explained the crash clearly. What WAS hapenning was that the Pi would lose wifi connection permanently after a second or two of selecting the TuneIn Radio 3 stream, requiring a reboot to get it to work again.

What I'm going to do now is backup and then install jivelite and we'll see if that has any effect (you wouldn't have thought so would you?).

The AAC URL is what BBC site says it is but that could be out of date - I cannot test as I am outside UK ( I get a 403 forbidden) . The URL in error log looks like HLS URL - maybe BBC has retired the HTTP/AAC stream. Perhaps another UK user can test the R3 AAC URL.

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenot... View Post
    Sorry I thought I'd explained the crash clearly. What WAS happening was that the Pi would lose wifi connection permanently after a second or two of selecting the TuneIn Radio 3 stream, requiring a reboot to get it to work again
    That sound like some process going into a loop jamming network (so ssh dies as well) but Pi may not have crashed - only way to find out is with a screen and keyboard connected.

Enabling LMS logging would let us see what player is being told to play.

When I try Tune-in for BBC R3 - it plays OK and plays the following URL
    http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?...&username=xxxx
    which contains
    http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasele...format/pls.pls

What I'm going to do now is backup and then install jivelite and we'll see if that has any effect (you wouldn't have thought so would you?).
    If it jams, then problem is in Pi, if it doesn't jam then problem is in squeezelite. Either way suitable LMS logging should provide a hint.

What is the audio output device on the Pi ?
    What is the squeezelite command line being used ?

Except for MP3 which is 44.1kHz, BBC streams are 48kHz. There have been problems with some users who have set up audio output options mainly to support 44.1kHz and so 48kHz streams caused odd problems.

I'm using a Hifiberry Digi.

The squeezelite command is /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "Living Room" -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80:4::1: -s 192.168.2.10 -v

Not doing anything deliberately with the sample rate, just going with the flow.

I'm at a point now where I can't break it. Yes the AAC stream isn't available but connectivity seems solid.

I'd like to get the highest quality stream of R3. The frustration is not just the codec bit rate, they supposedly don't put the HD stream through a processor as they do for both the mp3 stream and the FM broadcast. I totally understand the need for the processing to aid listenability in challenging environments like the car or basically anything that isn't a nice quiet living room but it would be nice to get the best quality out of it. I'll keep investigating but I feel like I'm getting off topic for this thread.

So thanks for your help for now. It hasn't been all wasted effort, I've learned a lot and got my versions up to spec. Its been positive, clearly there's an active community around the player and the server and I'm sticking with it. In fact I'll be building another one very soon - I've got a few early RPis lying about which wouldn't stand a chance of running any of the other heavy media distros nicely. Let's find out exactly how bad those 3.5mm outputs sound!

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenot... View Post
    I'm using a Hifiberry Digi.

The squeezelite command is /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "Living Room" -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80:4::1: -s 192.168.2.10 -v

Not doing anything deliberately with the sample rate, just going with the flow.

I'm at a point now where I can't break it. Yes the AAC stream isn't available but connectivity seems solid.

I'd like to get the highest quality stream of R3. The frustration is not just the codec bit rate, they supposedly don't put the HD stream through a processor as they do for both the mp3 stream and the FM broadcast. I totally understand the need for the processing to aid listenability in challenging environments like the car or basically anything that isn't a nice quiet living room but it would be nice to get the best quality out of it. I'll keep investigating but I feel like I'm getting off topic for this thread.

So thanks for your help for now. It hasn't been all wasted effort, I've learned a lot and got my versions up to spec. Its been positive, clearly there's an active community around the player and the server and I'm sticking with it. In fact I'll be building another one very soon - I've got a few early RPis lying about which wouldn't stand a chance of running any of the other heavy media distros nicely. Let's find out exactly how bad those 3.5mm outputs sound!
    If you want highest quality and you are in the the UK. BBC have decided http/MP3 is the backup service for old equipment. Highest quality is delivered using DASH or HLS which need a plugin on LMS.
    For highest quality AAC Live streams you need BBCiPlayer. This requires installing the plugin after adding the repos below to your LMS http://bpa-code.github.io/bpaplugins...lease-repo.xml The plugin will provide all the metadata, image, track info etc.
    The BBC Sounds plugin is new and is implementing BBC Sounds capability but you need to register with BBC to use it. The BBC Soundsplugin does nto need a special repos - it is under 3rd party plugins.

I think a cheap USB audio will be much better than the 3.5mm software driven audio

Nah, let's dont..

"Let's find out exactly how bad those 3.5mm outputs sound!"
    Waste of time, really.
    Especially if you were serious with
    I'd like to get the highest quality stream of R3.

I agree that the USB out is a big step up from 3.5mm audio out.
    If there are not budget constraints then I'd highly recommend the Khadas Tone Board and Audiophonics case - its a USB DAC capable of 32/384 and works VERY nicely with a Pi3 or Pi4.
    This is mine.
    Pi4 in a Lincoln Binns PiBox Pro case with Khadas Tone Board in Audiophonics case on top of it.

Name:  IMG_3237.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3236.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  156.0 KB
    Last edited by d6jg; 2020-11-16 at 06:18.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I agree that the USB out is a big step up from 3.5mm audio out.
    If there are not budget constraints then I'd highly recommend the Khadas Tone Board and Audiophonics case - its a USB DAC capable of 32/384 and works VERY nicely with a Pi3 or Pi4
    BBC only do 48Khz so 384kHz could be overkill. The user should not over-engineer his solution.