Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please share your experience about improving digital output quality !

I love the user interface of squeezebox touch and the flexibility of LMS architecture, so even I am not very satisfied with the digital output quality of Touch, I keep looking for solutions to improving the digital output quality such that Touch can deliver digital signal of minimized jitter to my Hi-end external DAC.

I now use Teradak LPSU and 10Gtek SFP optical transceiver for Ethernet connection. They both improved the sound quality.

Next step, I would like to try adding a DDC between Touch and external DAC . I am eager for your experience for any method to improve the digital output quality , especially a DDC . Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by hankhsucc View Post
    I love the user interface of squeezebox touch and the flexibility of LMS architecture, so even I am not very satisfied with the digital output quality of Touch, I keep looking for solutions to improving the digital output quality such that Touch can deliver digital signal of minimized jitter to my Hi-end external DAC.

I now use Teradak LPSU and 10Gtek SFP optical transceiver for Ethernet connection. They both improved the sound quality.

Next step, I would like to try adding a DDC between Touch and external DAC . I am eager for your experience for any method to improve the digital output quality , especially a DDC . Thank you !
    You may get more responses over in the Audiophile forum!

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.0.1/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Well you don't say which digital signal you want to play with, so I'll go with this link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YKQ/edit#gid=0

This only gives user experience of devices that do or do not work.

Only your ears can determine any improvement so fill your boots

As Grumpy Bob suggested maybe look in the thread he referenced.

ronnie

Why not try a direct connection to your dac first?

This might be an interesting read.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...consider/page3

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Well you don't say which digital signal you want to play with, so I'll go with this link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YKQ/edit#gid=0

This only gives user experience of devices that do or do not work.

Only your ears can determine any improvement so fill your boots

As Grumpy Bob suggested maybe look in the thread he referenced.

ronnie

Why not try a direct connection to your dac first?
    Thanks ! Because my DAC is not compatible with Touch EDO USB interface.

Thanks ! Because my DAC is not compatible with Touch EDO USB interface.
    EDO also works on the other digital outputs

Which dac do you have ? (I promise not to laugh )

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    EDO also works on the other digital outputs

Which dac do you have ? (I promise not to laugh )

ronnie
    I use Audionet VIP G2 with EPS as DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    This might be an interesting read.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...consider/page3

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info.

I use Audionet VIP G2 with EPS as DAC.
    Well that's a bit of a beast

I had a scan through the manual (waiting for my porridge to get to the Goldilocks moment

I would noy worry too much because

For the main channels, Audionet's Intelligent Sampling technology takes care of an absolutely accurate recovery of the analog signal from the digital data stream. Therefore, the PCM data runs through a sophisticated, two staged filter and de-coupling process. First of all, the initial data is filtered and synchronously up-sampled by Audionet's proprietary software running on a powerful digital signal processor. The filters are designed in audiophile respect of best possible accuracy of impulse and frequency response. Optimized in this way, the audio data is now rendered to 192kHz/24bits by an asynchronous upsampler, thereby completely decoupled from the input clock.
    I presume that applys to the input you want to use.

which is the

[QUOTE][12 USB/SPDIF digital audio input Digital audio input to connect a computer to the VIP G2 for playback of music and sound files using the sophisticated D/A-converters of the front channels. The VIP G2 is recognized as "USB Audio Device" by the operat-ing system of your computer (for example, Windows XP*1). Use a standard audio player (for example, Windows Media Player*1) to playback your mu-sic over the VIP G2. Via an optional adapter cable the USB input can be used as SPDIF input for connecting CD players, DAT recorders etc. (refer to section "USB/SPDIF digital audio input" on page 13/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][ 15.6.3 Using the SPDIF input Alternatively, you can use the USB/SPDIF Digital audio input 12 as SPDIF digital audio input using a special adaptor cable available from Audionet. There-fore, you can use the sophisticated digital-to-analog converter of the VIP G2 for other digital sources like CD transports, DAT recorder, too. 1. Connect the USB/SPDIF Audio input 12 to the SPDIF output of the source device using an adaptor cable. 2. Switch on the VIP G2, then switch on the source device, and star the playback on the source device. The music of the source device is now played back using the sophisticated digital-to-analog converters of the VIP G2.

Note∑The VIP G2 supports the formats: PCM Stereo, sample rate 32 kHz up to 96kHz, 16 and 24 Bits /QUOTE]

I don't know what the "special cable looks like, so I guess anything that fits the connection would suffice, providing it's from a manufacturer known for good quality. I would not spend a lot of money.

Have you actually tried the SBT with the EDO applet connected to your dac ? (Connect the SBT to the machine, power on both, install the applet on the SBT, see what you get)

ronnie
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2020-11-07 at 02:20.

[QUOTE=Man in a van;993663]Well that's a bit of a beast

I had a scan through the manual (waiting for my porridge to get to the Goldilocks moment

I would noy worry too much because

I presume that applys to the input you want to use.

which is the

[QUOTE][12 USB/SPDIF digital audio input Digital audio input to connect a computer to the VIP G2 for playback of music and sound files using the sophisticated D/A-converters of the front channels. The VIP G2 is recognized as "USB Audio Device" by the operat-ing system of your computer (for example, Windows XP*1). Use a standard audio player (for example, Windows Media Player*1) to playback your mu-sic over the VIP G2. Via an optional adapter cable the USB input can be used as SPDIF input for connecting CD players, DAT recorders etc. (refer to section "USB/SPDIF digital audio input" on page 13/QUOTE]

[ 15.6.3 Using the SPDIF input Alternatively, you can use the USB/SPDIF Digital audio input 12 as SPDIF digital audio input using a special adaptor cable available from Audionet. There-fore, you can use the sophisticated digital-to-analog converter of the VIP G2 for other digital sources like CD transports, DAT recorder, too. 1. Connect the USB/SPDIF Audio input 12 to the SPDIF output of the source device using an adaptor cable. 2. Switch on the VIP G2, then switch on the source device, and star the playback on the source device. The music of the source device is now played back using the sophisticated digital-to-analog converters of the VIP G2.

NoteÔˆ‘The VIP G2 supports the formats: PCM Stereo, sample rate 32 kHz up to 96kHz, 16 and 24 Bits /QUOTE]

I don't know what the "special cable looks like, so I guess anything that fits the connection would suffice, providing it's from a manufacturer known for good quality. I would not spend a lot of money.

Have you actually tried the SBT with the EDO applet connected to your dac ? (Connect the SBT to the machine, power on both, install the applet on the SBT, see what you get)

ronnie

Thank you for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

The special cable I used to connect Touch and VIP G2 is this one

https://ibb.co/zHmZMpW

Yes. I have tried EDO applet, but I don't like it.

I am also thinking about replace Touch by Allo digione signature.

Then, Touch will be abandoned. So I prefer a DDC solution.