Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sudden Static Noise in between tracks

I have had this experience on two different Touch players recently. It hasn't happened on the system for a few years . Playing FLAC recordings I get sudden very loud static bursts and distortion lasting several seconds. I am hoping the speakers were not damaged. I had both players set to Fade In and Out of songs as I was led to believe from other posts the issue was related to cross fading. I just changed that setting to no fade and I will see if that makes a difference. Anyone dealt with this issue?
    Edit:using a toslink optical connection to a Sabaj switching amp
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2020-10-12 at 09:45.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1614639334 @ Tue Mar 2 00:11:57 CET 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.067
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

After a week or so with no further issues I had another static blast between tracks. This time it was not between FLAC tracks but between a FLAC track and a YouTube track. I thought the first step to mitigating this problem would be to update LMS which I did prior to having this latest blast of noise. Surely this is a bug with the LMS system. I have experienced this for years with different operating systems (Win XP, Ubuntu 10 through 18, Mint 19 and 20) and different servers. Also different Touches and different cable arrangements(both optical TOSLink and coxial).
    Unless someone can offer some help I will file a bug report

I have attached a server log. The latest incident was at 19:05 approximately (Oct 20) and there is a error message at that time related to Custom Clock. Could that be the problem, if so I do I correct it?
    Code:
    [20-10-20 19:04:58.8165] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1888) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Plugins::CustomClockHelper::Plugin::getTitleFormats]: [Can't locate object method "name" via package "Progressive Rock" (perhaps you forgot to load "Progressive Rock"?) at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/TitleFormatter.pm line 231.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2020-10-20 at 16:19.

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Quote Originally Posted by SlimChances View Post
    After a week or so with no further issues I had another static blast between tracks. This time it was not between FLAC tracks but between a FLAC track and a YouTube track. I thought the first step to mitigating this problem would be to update LMS which I did prior to having this latest blast of noise. Surely this is a bug with the LMS system. I have experienced this for years with different operating systems (Win XP, Ubuntu 10 through 18, Mint 19 and 20) and different servers. Also different Touches and different cable arrangements(both optical TOSLink and coxial).
    Unless someone can offer some help I will file a bug report

I have attached a server log. The latest incident was at 19:05 approximately (Oct 20) and there is a error message at that time related to Custom Clock. Could that be the problem, if so I do I correct it?
    Code:
    [20-10-20 19:04:58.8165] Slim::Control::Request::execute (1888) Error: While trying to run function coderef [Plugins::CustomClockHelper::Plugin::getTitleFormats]: [Can't locate object method "name" via package "Progressive Rock" (perhaps you forgot to load "Progressive Rock"?) at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/TitleFormatter.pm line 231.
    I only heard these blasts of static with certain fade settings. Do you still have cross-fade turned off completely?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I only heard these blasts of static with certain fade settings. Do you still have cross-fade turned off completely?

Cross Fade was turned off but Fade in Out was on. I turned off Fade entirely yesterday. I guess those setting just don't work

Two SB Radios wireless

Cross Fade was turned off but Fade in Out was on. I turned off Fade entirely yesterday. I guess those setting just don't work
    I actually found some of the fade in or out settings worse. Normal cross-fade didn't seem to cause issues for me.

I actually found some of the fade in or out settings worse. Normal cross-fade didn't seem to cause issues for me.

It started with Cross fade so I switched to Fade in Out. Now I have settings to no fade. This seems to me to be a bug

Two SB Radios wireless

It started with Cross fade so I switched to Fade in Out. Now I have settings to no fade. This seems to me to be a bug
    Definitely a bug but as it has been around forever don't hold your breath for a fix.

Definitely a bug but as it has been around forever don't hold your breath for a fix.

I will put a bug report in anyway after I have tested system with No Fade for awhile. Which Cross Fade settings do you have set (I had Smart Cross fade enabled)? I haven't had this problem for several years, funny how it just started again

Two SB Radios wireless

Take a look at this thread, with the op's resolution around posts 59, 60:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...et-Radio/page6

his "noise" may not be related to your "noise" but it is on a touch, and he resolved it by reinstalling the firmware

Jim

I will put a bug report in anyway after I have tested system with No Fade for awhile. Which Cross Fade settings do you have set (I had Smart Cross fade enabled)? I haven't had this problem for several years, funny how it just started again
    I had cross-fade and smart cross-fade enabled for years with no issues then tried fade in - fade out and the white noise issues began. It didn't happen on every track but it was repeatable on the affected tracks. Now I turn off fading completely.