Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sota748 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback

I will take a look at the SOTM SMS 200 streamer
    Maybe you should take a look at the "Digione Signature" HAT for your RPi4B.
    The SPDIF output is isolated from the RPi4B side.
    Per
    --------------------------
    RPi3B+ DigiOne Signature -> Lyngdorf DPA-1 -> McIntosh 275 -> Wilson Audio Sophia 3
    Argon HA-1 -> Denon AH-D2000

Quote Originally Posted by guilux View Post
    Hi Sota,

since you are already familiar with raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer, you might want to give a try to hifiberry (rasp + daughter card for good quality DAC)
    cheers.
    I did exactly this using piCorePlayer, although I had a now older Schiit Bifrost DAC already on hand and idle, so am using a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro HAT to provide S/PDIF output to the external DAC.

in A-B comparisons (the Bifrost allows me to switch between Coax/TOSLINK inputs) between playing ripped CDs directly, or through the Pi4 running piCorePlayer with a Hifiberry Digi Pro into the DAC, I can't hear a difference... which makes sense. It's a digital signal in both cases until converted by the DAC. If others with better ears can hear a difference it doesn't matter, they aren't sitting in my office or living room and never will be.

Originally I'd split the player and server into two Pi4s but decided for my office space to run them both on one, playing through the Schiit DAC into my all analogue ARCAM FMJ A19 integrated amp.

In the end, I decided to consolidate player and mass storage on one Pi4, running Raspberry OS (Lite) instead of piCorePlayer, configured to boot off a 1TB SSD in a USB drive dock. I wanted a Debian based OS for this server and am running some other services (samba, wsdd, minidlna).

Being very happy with the audio results, and low cost, I'm looking to get a second Hifiberry product - possibly a DAC this time - for a second player on the livingroom system although I might yet again go for an external DAC like one of the well-reviewed and very inexpensive Topping DACs and again feed it from a Digi+ Pro.

And then there's an original Squeezebox kicking about here I may put back to work.

Pi4 and mass storage tech and prices being what they are, this is a golden age!

Hopefully, Google opens up an API for Youtube Music. A plugin for that would be terrific.
    Last edited by yvrmike; 2020-11-03 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissen View Post
    Maybe you should take a look at the "Digione Signature" HAT for your RPi4B.
    The SPDIF output is isolated from the RPi4B side.
    Nice thing this Digione Signature, I really learn some new "components"
    Dan
    RPI newbie

Quote Originally Posted by yvrmike View Post
    Originally I'd split the player and server into two Pi4s but decided for my office space to run them both on one, playing through the Schiit DAC into my all analogue ARCAM FMJ A19 integrated amp.

- for a second player on the livingroom system although I might yet again go for an external DAC like one of the well-reviewed and very inexpensive Topping DACs and again feed it from a Digi+ Pro.
    DAC`s i didn┤t know, Can you anything about the sound from them?
    Dan
    RPI newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sota748 View Post
    DAC`s i didn┤t know, Can you anything about the sound from them?
    Hi Dan,

My needs are more modest than yours I'm sure; I'm a "good sound at a not painful price" sort.

That said you might want to experiment a bit more (as you have been) before committing which is why I threw out the inexpensive DAC idea.

You could incrementally experiment with a Pi4 by acquiring a digital output hat supporting at least Coax output and feed that to -> your existing DAC. If you are happy with that, based on your first post it seems you'll need a second DAC.

The Topping brand ranges from the inexpensive but well-reviewed and beyond. You'll find all manner of DAC brands reviewed on Audio Science Review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...discussion.10/

They are generally technical reviews not audiophile but may serve as a good starting point for exploration. The entry-level Topping units offer good value and surprisingly good technical performance. I haven't bought one yet but intend to and look forward to comparing it to my now some years old Schiit DAC. I'll probably get the low-cost Topping E30 which is readily available here in Canada (edit, ordering it now for the family entertainment centre, or my office, whichever use case wins ;-) ) - it has 3 digital inputs (USB, TOSLINK and Coax S/PDIF) selectable from the front panel. No balanced output, only RCA - they do have units with XLR out.

Best of luck with your streaming system build - have fun!

PS, I control my LMS with either my Android phone or from the web interface.

If you are looking for an always-on visual interface, Audiophonics in France have a number of options; I've seen that case elsewhere too.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netwo...ch-c-6350.html

Personally, I prefer the separation of concerns approach with a Pi4 + digital output hat driving an external DAC, but even in my situation, I can see some use cases for an integrated approach.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ormance_Index/

You can filter by brand to see what Pi HAT DACs he's reviewed - Allo, Audiophonics, HifiBerry, Orchard Audio ... come to mind. There may be others.

Quote Originally Posted by yvrmike View Post
    PS, I control my LMS with either my Android phone or from the web interface.

If you are looking for an always-on visual interface, Audiophonics in France have a number of options; I've seen that case elsewhere too.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netwo...ch-c-6350.html

Personally, I prefer the separation of concerns approach with a Pi4 + digital output hat driving an external DAC, but even in my situation, I can see some use cases for an integrated approach.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ormance_Index/

You can filter by brand to see what Pi HAT DACs he's reviewed - Allo, Audiophonics, HifiBerry, Orchard Audio ... come to mind. There may be others.
    Is there so much gain when compared to a hifiberry dac? Just curious.
    For me the combo raspberry pi with the hifiberry dac sounds way better a SB Touch, and I was really surprised by that.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by edwin2006 View Post
    Is there so much gain when compared to a hifiberry dac? Just curious.
    For me the combo raspberry pi with the hifiberry dac sounds way better a SB Touch, and I was really surprised by that.
    I bet!

Honestly, I don't know Edwin; there's nothing stopping a Pi-HAT based DAC from being excellent. For my Pi4 based player I went with the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro digital interface rather than a DAC simply because I had an external DAC.

And I've picked up a second external DAC not just because I'm curious as to how my several years old Schiit compares, but because external DACs have their useful purposes too. Chromecast Audio sounds tons better (like your experience with the Touch) through a DAC (CCAs have a dual purpose 3.5mm line out / TOSLINK socket) and we use streaming and castable services a great deal here including Youtube Music.

I have plans to put a Pi based player into an antique radio cabinet along with a small audio amp; I'm sure I'll use a DAC HAT for that.
    Last edited by yvrmike; 2020-11-04 at 17:13.
    Server: LMS 8.x nightly, Raspberry Pi OS booting off external USB SATA drive dock with 1TB SSD
    Home Office: Squeezelite player via server-mounted HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT -> Schiit DAC -> ARCAM FMJ A19 + Monitor Audio Silver
    Family System: Squeezebox 1 and/or Chromecast Bridge plugin + Chromecast Audio TOSLINK -> Topping E30 DAC -> Onkyo AV Receiver / Klipsch 6.1 config
    Phone: Squeeze Player, Squeezer on Android
    Other Players: Bunch of Chromecast devices

Another option:

Consider the original Digione Player (not Signature). $270 US at Allo site with an aluminum case and an upgraded Nirvana power supply. Maybe other sellers have it available to consider due to shipping distance from India. Tough to beat this deal. Google it for comparisons with the Signature, some say minimal sound quality difference if any. Less hassle with dual power supplies too.

I own one, and it's been a great replacement for my SB3/receiver unit. Recently upgraded to the Nirvana power supply, and to me there seems to be an appreciable difference from the stock PSU, particularly at low volume for some reason. I run it into an audio video receiver which has it's own DAC. The output from this unit is SPDIF., so make sure your DAC is compatible.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

If you use a Pi 3B or Pi 4. Then any audibly transparent USB DAC will do the job.

Pay more for features or a nice case. I have found the measurements at www.Audiosciencereview.com (ASR) to be very useful and they have measured a ton of DACs.