Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by foxesden View Post
    If you use a Pi 3B or Pi 4. Then any audibly transparent USB DAC will do the job.

Pay more for features or a nice case. I have found the measurements at www.Audiosciencereview.com (ASR) to be very useful and they have measured a ton of DACs.
    I agree. Not messing with HATs makes case choice easier, too!

With two Pi4 players configured, one Coax-> DAC, the other USB into the same Topping E30 DAC, I can't tell a difference. The cheaper Topping DAC probably outperforms the older non-USB Schiit DAC (and my ears).

Having an all in one unit for compactness might appeal to some while others may prefer an external DAC for versatility and breadth of choice at all price points.

Upside everywhere, everything sounds better than the DAC in the SB1.
    Server: LMS 8.x nightly, Raspberry Pi OS booting off external USB SATA drive dock with 1TB SSD
    Home Office: Squeezelite player via server-mounted HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT -> Schiit DAC -> ARCAM FMJ A19 + Monitor Audio Silver
    Family System: Squeezebox 1 and/or Chromecast Bridge plugin + Chromecast Audio TOSLINK -> Topping E30 DAC -> Onkyo AV Receiver / Klipsch 6.1 config
    Phone: Squeeze Player, Squeezer on Android
    Other Players: Bunch of Chromecast devices

Quote Originally Posted by sota748 View Post
    Hello
    I have been a "hifi nerd" for about 30 years, newer had the completely expensive setups, but always had fun in putting something good together for the money I could/can spend on the hobby.
    Today there are the following components in my system, almost everything is bought used (2 hand).
    Speakers: B&W Signature 805 + B&W ASW 825 (sub)
    Amp: Krell KAV300i
    Turntable: Sota Sapphire + Moerch UP6 gold + Ortofon Kontrapunkt b + SAT Phonofix
    CD system: Roksan ROK DP1 (transport) + Roksan ROK DA1 (dac)
    Cables: No snake oil, just good products at a reasonable price, (I like Van den Hull's products)
    Software: 3500 LP`s & 800 CD`s.
    The best sound in my system comes from my Turntable but the CD system is not far behind

The last 1-2 years I wanted a Streaming system, but newer found anything I would like to own
    I have had a SB3 for 10 years now I think, but not used it much, for 10 years ago I installed LMS on my Synology NAS but that was a slow and unstable system, no fun using that

At the Covid lock down in the spring, I have to work from home, and I needed music for the working room,
    so I found the old SB3 and ordered a RPiB4, installed pCP on the RPiB4 and used my NAS as storage for music files.
    Started to rip my CD`s (EAC or dbPoweramp) and after a month all 800 was on the NAS.
    Listen to a lot of flac files, also a lot of different Radio channels and Podcast with great pleasure - I have found my Streaming system

Next task is to make/setup up the best possible system, in terms of good sound.
    I have tried:
    - SB3 analog outputs to amp., OK but nothing special
    - SB3 SPDIF to ROK-DA1, not bad almost on high with my CD, but there is missing a little bit of all.
    - RPiB4 USB trough M2Tech hiFace Two to ROK-DA1, great (= fantastic) sound stage but the sound of the high range is really sharp.

I have read a lot on the net, to find the best solution in terms of good sound, but there is obviously no recipe for this
    So what`s the best way to go?
    - RPiB4 USB to a Good DAC (most simple solution, and that way I thought I should go)
    - RPiB4 with SPDIF hat to a good DAC
    - RPiB4 with DAC hat to Amp.
    - SB Transporter (maybe)
    - Other solutions?

Lots of options...
    If I was starting from scratch now, I might consider a R Pi- based system.

I remain a huge fan of all SB kit and LMS.

For many years a Transporter was the heart of my main system, feeding a pair of acroce ASM 100 ASL studio monitors.
    I like the Transporter so much I have bought two on eBay as back ups!
    Both were under ú350 and in excellent condition. I consider that a bargain for a design classic.the following:

In my house I now have the following:
    Kitchen: SB Boom. Surprisingly good sound from a 'one box' solution
    Study: SB Classic feeding some tiny Audio Engine desk top speakers.
    Main: Transporter-> Schiit Ygddrasil DAC -> ATC SCM 100 ASLs ( I prefer the Schiit DAC to the Transporter's internal DAC, but the TP DAC still sounds good, despite it being a 13 year old design)

I also have a SB Touch which is currently boxed and usused!
    From what I have read it is now possible to build a better sounding 'Touch' using a RPi, but a used Touch on eBay is still good value in my opinion.
    The TP sounds better than the Touch when paired with the external Schiit DAC, but the Touch is still a remarkable digital source for the money.

I also like LMS. I use the Qobuz plug in to stream Qobuz and also use iPeng to control everything using iPad/iPhone.

I have tried far more expensive streamers than the TP, and I didn't think they sounded any better, or provided any better usability.

Hats off to Sean Adams. The SB suite of products was really ground breaking and I am still perfectly happy to use many of the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by iwalker View Post
    Lots of options...
    If I was starting from scratch now, I might consider a R Pi- based system.

I remain a huge fan of all SB kit and LMS.

For many years a Transporter was the heart of my main system, feeding a pair of ATC SCM 100 ASL studio monitors.
    I like the Transporter so much I have bought two on eBay as back ups!
    Both were under ú350 and in excellent condition. I consider that a bargain for a design classic.

In my house I now have the following:
    Kitchen: SB Boom. Surprisingly good sound from a 'one box' solution
    Study: SB Classic feeding some tiny active Audio Engine desk top speakers.
    Main: Transporter-> Schiit Yggdrasil DAC -> ATC SCM 100 ASLs via BNC. ( I prefer the Schiit DAC to the Transporter's internal DAC, but the TP DAC still sounds good, despite it being a 13 year old design)

I also have a SB Touch which is currently boxed and unused!
    From what I have read, it is now possible to build a better sounding 'Touch' using a RPi, but a used Touch on eBay is still great value in my opinion.
    The TP sounds better than the Touch when paired with the external Schiit DAC, but the Touch is still a remarkable digital source for the money.

I also like LMS. I use the Qobuz plug-in to stream Qobuz and also use iPeng to control everything using iPad/iPhone.

I have tried far more expensive streamers than the TP, and I didn't think they sounded any better, or provided any better usability/functionality

Hats off to Sean Adams. The SB suite of products was really ground breaking and I am still perfectly happy to use many of the devices.

Typos in above message corrected!

Iĺve opted for a Pi4 in a Lincoln Binns case coupled with a Khadas tone board in the Audiophonics case.
    They are a great match visually and sonically.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom - SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Pioneer ceiling speakers
    Guest Room - Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

What I have learned in my journey from analoge sources (LPs) to digital music sources is that much more problems needs to resolved when you choose the digital path.
    Beside all discussion of technical components there are two main concerns: vibration and power.
    1) Vibration: the complete chain - even starting from by internet router - must be placed on a vibration less surface. And if the device (eg. a RPi box) has a light weight, it is helpful to put some extra weight on it for stabilization (granit, steel, ...)
    2) Power: good clean power is very essential. It depends from the quality what is deliverd into your house. You should definitly concider not to use a standard power adapter (PSU) for an RPi box. There are many soltions available such as Keces. Additional it might be worth to check out filters or other fancy solutions. Lot of tests and experiments are useful and might bring surprising results. It's not Voodoo.

My chain looks as follows.
    1) rPI3 with LMS and Squeezelite powered by Keces DC-116 - Upsampling all sources to highest level through Squezzelite - Allo DigiOne for SPDIF Output (what I do like about this component is that it has reclocking functionality on board).
    2) Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB (for reclocking purposed - amazing impovement)
    3) Rega DAC R (possible an area of improvement, would love to test/go for a NOS DAC).
    4) Unison Research Sinfonia (new component in my chain )
    5) Klipsch Forte III

I have tested integrated and expensive network streamers to replace 1,2,3 but was never convinced - not only because I am an LMS enthusiastic.
    Living Room: piCorePlayer 6.1.0 on rPi 3B+ & Allo DigiOne & 1TB USB (LMS 8.0.1 & Squeezelite), Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock, RME ADI-2 DAC, Unison Research Sinfonia, Klipsch Forte III.
    Bedroom: Boom / Workspace: Boom / Kitchen: Radio

Quote Originally Posted by schiff1108 View Post
    1) Vibration: the complete chain - even starting from by internet router - must be placed on a vibration less surface. And if the device (eg. a RPi box) has a light weight, it is helpful to put some extra weight on it for stabilization (granit, steel, ...)
    2) Power: good clean power is very essential. It depends from the quality what is deliverd into your house. You should definitly concider not to use a standard power adapter (PSU) for an RPi box. There are many soltions available such as Keces. Additional it might be worth to check out filters or other fancy solutions. Lot of tests and experiments are useful and might bring surprising results.
    I'd like to see the video of the blind test on that.

It's not Voodoo.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Oh yes, some make it vodoo! We have occasional earthquakes and tremors around here and I've not heard any vibration when these occur, at least when my power stays on. I would think that some cables made of unobtanium would correct all the problems.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)