Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30

    Best possible sound from "Squeezebox" - which way should I go

    Hello
    I have been a "hifi nerd" for about 30 years, newer had the completely expensive setups, but always had fun in putting something good together for the money I could/can spend on the hobby.
    Today there are the following components in my system, almost everything is bought used (2 hand).
    Speakers: B&W Signature 805 + B&W ASW 825 (sub)
    Amp: Krell KAV300i
    Turntable: Sota Sapphire + Moerch UP6 gold + Ortofon Kontrapunkt b + SAT Phonofix
    CD system: Roksan ROK DP1 (transport) + Roksan ROK DA1 (dac)
    Cables: No snake oil, just good products at a reasonable price, (I like Van den Hull's products)
    Software: 3500 LP`s & 800 CD`s.
    The best sound in my system comes from my Turntable but the CD system is not far behind

    The last 1-2 years I wanted a Streaming system, but newer found anything I would like to own
    I have had a SB3 for 10 years now I think, but not used it much, for 10 years ago I installed LMS on my Synology NAS but that was a slow and unstable system, no fun using that

    At the Covid lock down in the spring, I have to work from home, and I needed music for the working room,
    so I found the old SB3 and ordered a RPiB4, installed pCP on the RPiB4 and used my NAS as storage for music files.
    Started to rip my CD`s (EAC or dbPoweramp) and after a month all 800 was on the NAS.
    Listen to a lot of flac files, also a lot of different Radio channels and Podcast with great pleasure - I have found my Streaming system

    Next task is to make/setup up the best possible system, in terms of good sound.
    I have tried:
    - SB3 analog outputs to amp., OK but nothing special
    - SB3 SPDIF to ROK-DA1, not bad almost on high with my CD, but there is missing a little bit of all.
    - RPiB4 USB trough M2Tech hiFace Two to ROK-DA1, great (= fantastic) sound stage but the sound of the high range is really sharp.

    I have read a lot on the net, to find the best solution in terms of good sound, but there is obviously no recipe for this
    So what`s the best way to go?
    - RPiB4 USB to a Good DAC (most simple solution, and that way I thought I should go)
    - RPiB4 with SPDIF hat to a good DAC
    - RPiB4 with DAC hat to Amp.
    - SB Transporter (maybe)
    - Other solutions?
    Dan
    RPI newbie

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by sota748 View Post
    So what`s the best way to go?
    - RPiB4 USB to a Good DAC (most simple solution, and that way I thought I should go)
    - RPiB4 with SPDIF hat to a good DAC
    - RPiB4 with DAC hat to Amp.
    - SB Transporter (maybe)
    - Other solutions?
    AES out to a good DAC: http://www.pi2design.com/pi2aes.html
    LMS 8.2.0 + EDO on Debian Jessie
    Touch --> Benchmark DAC3 HGC --> Counterpoint NPS200 MkII + NPS400 --> Meadowlark Heron
    Touch --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> Eddie Current Aficionado --> Sennheiser HD800 SDR, ZMF Verite Ziricote
    and a third Touch for remote control, and a Radio, and a couple SB3s and a Transporter somewhere

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sota748 View Post
    ....

    I have read a lot on the net, to find the best solution in terms of good sound, but there is obviously no recipe for this
    So what`s the best way to go?
    - RPiB4 USB to a Good DAC (most simple solution, and that way I thought I should go)
    - RPiB4 with SPDIF hat to a good DAC
    - RPiB4 with DAC hat to Amp.
    - SB Transporter (maybe)
    - Other solutions?
    Hi Sota,

    since you are already familiar with raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer, you might want to give a try to hifiberry (rasp + daughter card for good quality DAC)
    I did try this, compared with my transporter and I found that the hifiberry is very good for its price.
    (and far from being rediculous ....)

    A transporter on the second hand market might be interesting also (price not the same - frankly you should give a try with the hifiberry, super product and super quality for this price)

    cheers.
    Last edited by guilux; 2020-10-31 at 13:13.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Apesbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,698
    "New Old Stock" knob-less Transporters are going for $500 on eBay with shipping. So long as your files top out at 24/96, it's as good as it gets.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
    Very interesting, this could really be my solution.
    But there is not many DAC`s with AES on market (mainly DAC`s for the pro area)

    I like that the outputs is isolatet from the "rest"
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  32.7 KB

    Thanks for the reply
    Dan
    RPI newbie

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by guilux View Post
    since you are already familiar with raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer, you might want to give a try to hifiberry (rasp + daughter card for good quality DAC)
    I did try this, compared with my transporter and I found that the hifiberry is very good for its price.
    (and far from being rediculous ....)

    A transporter on the second hand market might be interesting also (price not the same - frankly you should give a try with the hifiberry, super product and super quality for this price)
    I have looked at the HAT cards from hifiberry many times and not been sure that┤s highend or not, maybe the new DAC2 HD could be a solution?

    Thanks for the reply
    Dan
    RPI newbie

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    "New Old Stock" knob-less Transporters are going for $500 on eBay with shipping. So long as your files top out at 24/96, it's as good as it gets.
    Unfortunately, these are only found in the US, and import duties are expensive (about 1/3 of the price) in Denmark where I live , if I only could find one in the EU
    This would be the nicest looking solution, I really want to hear a transporter on my system

    Thanks for the Reply
    Dan
    RPI newbie

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    107

    Transporter

    Hi Dan,

    here sells someone in Germany a Transporter:

    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ssic-und-Touch


    But I don't know whether it is still valid.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3

    Best possible sound from"Squeezebox" - which way should I go

    Hi,

    sorry, the Transporter is not longer available, its making another user
    happy already :-). but the Touch and the Classic are still there...

    @Dan: I've not read the whole thread, but if you have an external DAC
    maybe a good alternative to the transporter is a SMS 200 streamer from
    SOTM. this device is also able to act as a squeezelite device and IMHO
    it sounds better then the Transporter.

    Cheers,

    Schoepp




  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by schoeppi View Post
    sorry, the Transporter is not longer available, its making another user
    happy already :-). but the Touch and the Classic are still there...

    @Dan: I've not read the whole thread, but if you have an external DAC
    maybe a good alternative to the transporter is a SMS 200 streamer from
    SOTM. this device is also able to act as a squeezelite device and IMHO
    it sounds better then the Transporter.
    Thanks for the feedback

    I will take a look at the SOTM SMS 200 streamer
    Dan
    RPI newbie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •