Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    This has become a tad off-topic. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    The controller issues I have seen are dim display, and unresponsive navigation wheel. The trick for the second problem is to lick your finger (seriously, recommended on this forum). I guess it's not as great a suggestion is todays world.
    Whenever I enable the playback (beta) feature, at some point in time the controller will crash and then enter an endless boot cycle which can only be interrupted by performing a factory reset. At the beginning, I had everything neatly configured with different backgrounds for all my players and custom menus, but after three or four resets I gave up. I have been licking my fingers since I own the device.

I replaced LMS on a windows machine as a server only on a Pi 3B+ and a 2TB hard drive, and love it. I have since built 3 more for others. About $USD50 for the pi, sd, power supply and $USD50 for the HDD. Can't beat it. The combo of picore player and material is a game changer in my mind, the developers did, and continue to do a great job.
    I am actually looking for a solution which gives me file sharing, Windows client backups and a Subversion repository along with an LMS. The file system should be (partially) mirrored, and the disks should be spun down while they are not needed (which would be most of the time, assuming that the LMS databases are stored on a flash drive). Right now, the LMS is only used to play local files, but with Tidal having changed their music format, I am going to need it for transcoding more or less all day, and I don't want the disk drives to consume power and wear down all the time.
    SCALEO Home Server 2105 & piCorePlayer 6.1.0 | Logitech Media Server 8.2.0 | Server Power Control 20120716.103808 | Transporter & Duet & Touch & Boom & Radio | Rotel RC-995 & RMB-100 | Nubert NuVero 140

Quote Originally Posted by mvordeme View Post
    This has become a tad off-topic. :-)

Whenever I enable the playback (beta) feature, at some point in time the controller will crash and then enter an endless boot cycle which can only be interrupted by performing a factory reset. At the beginning, I had everything neatly configured with different backgrounds for all my players and custom menus, but after three or four resets I gave up. I have been licking my fingers since I own the device.
    Perhaps it's the battery?

I am actually looking for a solution which gives me file sharing, Windows client backups and a Subversion repository along with an LMS. The file system should be (partially) mirrored, and the disks should be spun down while they are not needed (which would be most of the time, assuming that the LMS databases are stored on a flash drive). Right now, the LMS is only used to play local files, but with Tidal having changed their music format, I am going to need it for transcoding more or less all day, and I don't want the disk drives to consume power and wear down all the time.
    Further off topic...I have something similar but very brute force/old school. First, I created a third partition of the Pi SD for the LMS data/cache. I had it originally on the HDD, but with frequent power failures (at our cabin) caused LMS to "lose" the HDD mount. Keeping the LMS cache/prefs on the SD cured this. This is similar to your using a flash drive.

I have two locations/systems. One at home, one at a cabin. I mirror the prefs and music library with freefilesync. I also have a folder structure on each of the pi HDD's to backup important files other than music - photos, documents, etc. I organized the folder structure on each PC with "Common" (mirror on both PC's) and "Local" (Home and camp specific files). I backup each on the other machine (redundant backup offsite). I carry an updated "travel" SSHD back and forth.

Yes, I know, there are so many easier ways to do it, but when I am in one location, I have most of the power off in the other location, and in the winter, I suspend the ISP account at the cabin. So, Internet is not on at the same location at the same time. Also, there are no work files involved, so nothing is critical if I mess up.

Thought I would share, might spark an idea for you...
    Jim

Perhaps it's the battery?
    I believe it is a flaw in the software. When the Duet was new, they actually gave me a replacement unit. Some technician from the U.S. had me run some checks and concluded that the memory might be defective, but the same thing keeps happening with the new unit. The only way to avoid it is not to activate the playback feature. I never understood why playback is such a difficult and "beta" thing. They even gave the controller a headphone jack, but that has never been reliable, either, and needs an applet.
    SCALEO Home Server 2105 & piCorePlayer 6.1.0 | Logitech Media Server 8.2.0 | Server Power Control 20120716.103808 | Transporter & Duet & Touch & Boom & Radio | Rotel RC-995 & RMB-100 | Nubert NuVero 140

I never understood why playback is such a difficult and "beta" thing. They even gave the controller a headphone jack, but that has never been reliable, either, and needs an applet.
    It is easy to design hardware with capabilities for software to use. The problem is that the UI & controller software for the controller took so much processing - there was too little left for reliable playback. Playback also affected battery life.

Headphone socket was designed to electronically (not mechanical with a switch) detect presence of headset - in reality with a wide range of headsets the detection proved unreliable.

I don't want to start a discussion about it, but ... whenever I used the playback feature, it would work flawlessly. No trouble with processing power or anything. Battery life was more than sufficient to mow the lawn and change tyres on two cars. But the mere fact that the feature was activated caused the unit to crash. This sounds more like bad software. The same with the headphones: I used different sets of headphones, and there was never a problem in general with a specific set, but at some point in time, the unit would simply stop to react to headphones being plugged in or out. This, too, sounds like bad software. When I first heard of the headphones being switched on and off by software, I liked the idea of not hard-wiring too many things, because software can always be updated, but somehow, the playback feature did not get too much attention from Logitech and things were never fixed.

Nowadays, everyone can use their phones to listen to music when out of the house, so it's not a big deal any more.

But the mere fact that the feature was activated caused the unit to crash.
    History. It was left as beta for those who wished to tolerate the pain.
    IIRC from the testing, I think the watchdog kicked in because playback was hogging system every so often. I think audio was using standard ALSA so "tuning" wasn't an option and hard to track down the exact issue.
    Battery life was considered an issue as there were no other "fancy" remote options (before Ipeng) so users wanted hours of battery time and not in the dock.

Did you try different power supply? Two months ago my receiver started randomly to wake up and the light would run through the colors, when it wasn't even being listened to; it never had any issue while listening. I would log into the web remote control to find this player was no longer connected to mysqueezebox.com and I would delete it. Then, I would reboot it to the setup status for getting the MAC address on the controller. I looked it up on this forum and saw comments about power supplies, but this system has never failed otherwise, so I set aside that simple solution. Finally, it stopped responding to the reboot entirely. I found a box of power converters and found a wall wart that works with it, and it's been stable ever since.

Right now, it disconnects less than daily, so WiFi signal strength definitely was a factor. Actually, I own an old, bulky universal power supply with an inductive transformer which I could try. It won't improve audio quality, but it should be okay for testing. I had to replace the Controller's power supply with a USB charger already, so the Receiver's power supply might as well be slowly failing.

Right now, it disconnects less than daily, so WiFi signal strength definitely was a factor.
    Switching to a fixed IP solved it for me.
    QLMS 8.2@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

After playback of a certain track on Tidal consistently resulted in the Receiver hanging up, earlier today, I hooked it up to the old universal power supply, and it has played the track twice, since, and not disconnected a single time. I'll keep an eye on it.