Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by mvordeme View Post
    No, it didn't work at all using the cable. I probably would have had to factory-reset it in order for the Receiver to use Ethernet, and who knows whether the PC's auto-sensing Ethernet port would have picked up the connection correctly. But it worked fine over WiFi.
    That's not what auto-sensing is for. If connected to the PC directly, the setup routine (NET::UDAP or whatever) will send a broadcast and lists all compatible devices that answer the call. That should be exactly one Receiver. But I do think you should try a factory reset.

Which tool did you use?

I have the impression that as soon as the Controller sees the Receiver in configuration mode, it will configure it and reconnect it to the network. Maybe it is more subtle than that.
    Didn't think of that. Could be. That's why see above.

It looks like the static IP improved things. Today, the LED went blue in the middle of a song, but only for a few seconds. Then the Receiver reconnected. The currently playing stream was gone, but skipping to the next track worked fine. Then I noticed something strange. The stream was re-buffering now and then with no apparent reason. When I checked the player info, it showed between 10 % and 30 % signal strength although the WiFi repeater is only a meter away. After power-cycling, the signal strength was back to 90 % and the re-buffering was gone.
    And you're sure the Receiver was connected to the repeater and not to the router? Maybe it was connected to the router (or another repeater) before and the power-cycling made the Receiver connect to the repeater. That would explain the difference in signal strength.

And then there's the possibility of a faulty WiFi module.
    QLMS 8.0.1@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    That's not what auto-sensing is for. If connected to the PC directly, the setup routine (NET::UDAP or whatever) will send a broadcast and lists all compatible devices that answer the call. That should be exactly one Receiver. But I do think you should try a factory reset.
    The port needs to detect that it is connected directly to another device and not to a router. In my experience, that takes some time.

Which tool did you use?
    sbconfig-win-amd64.exe

And you're sure the Receiver was connected to the repeater and not to the router? Maybe it was connected to the router (or another repeater) before and the power-cycling made the Receiver connect to the repeater. That would explain the difference in signal strength.
    Both the router and the receiver agreed that it was connected to the repeater, and the event log said the same.

And then there's the possibility of a faulty WiFi module.
    That would be bad luck. On the other hand, the same behaviour has been reported by others, only that they didn't see a difference in signal strength.

Anyway, today, a few things have changed. The day started with bad news. The Receiver did not play anything without re-buffering. I checked the signal strength, and it was 54 % (rather than below 30 % as before). But during the night, the router had received a software update and failed to activate the LAN port to the LMS on restart, so the players had been under some stress. I power-cycled the Receiver and signal strength went back up to 99 %. It has been playing without any problems, since. Right now, it is playing a FLAC album from the local library although it is connected to the WiFi router two floors below. The router shows a connection speed of less than 10 MBit/s, but the Receiver still reports a signal strength of around 95 %, and there are no interruptions in the music. That has actually never worked before, and in my experience, even the Booms would disconnect at such a low connection speed.
    SCALEO Home Server 2105 & piCorePlayer 6.1.0 | Logitech Media Server 8.0.1 | Server Power Control 20120716.103808 | Transporter & Duet & Touch & Boom & Radio | Rotel RC-995 & RMB-100 | Nubert NuVero 140

The port needs to detect that it is connected directly to another device and not to a router. In my experience, that takes some time.
    Okay. I never saw any noticeable delay here that exceeded the time a dhcp server would need to assign an IP address.

sbconfig-win-amd64.exe
    As I said, I never tried this tool. But if it supports wireless, great.

Both the router and the receiver agreed that it was connected to the repeater, and the event log said the same.
    I'd try and disconnect the repeater and any other WiFi device that may interfere, make the system as simple as possible.

That would be bad luck. On the other hand, the same behaviour has been reported by others, only that they didn't see a difference in signal strength.

Anyway, today, a few things have changed. The day started with bad news. The Receiver did not play anything without re-buffering. I checked the signal strength, and it was 54 % (rather than below 30 % as before). But during the night, the router had received a software update and failed to activate the LAN port to the LMS on restart, so the players had been under some stress. I power-cycled the Receiver and signal strength went back up to 99 %. It has been playing without any problems, since. Right now, it is playing a FLAC album from the local library although it is connected to the WiFi router two floors below. The router shows a connection speed of less than 10 MBit/s, but the Receiver still reports a signal strength of around 95 %, and there are no interruptions in the music. That has actually never worked before, and in my experience, even the Booms would disconnect at such a low connection speed.
    If you can get your hands on a second Receiver, I think that would be the easiest way forward.

Typo. It must be:
    Both the router and the repeater agreed that it was connected to the repeater, and the event log said the same.
    SCALEO Home Server 2105 & piCorePlayer 6.1.0 | Logitech Media Server 8.0.1 | Server Power Control 20120716.103808 | Transporter & Duet & Touch & Boom & Radio | Rotel RC-995 & RMB-100 | Nubert NuVero 140

I'd try and disconnect the repeater and any other WiFi device that may interfere, make the system as simple as possible.
    You mean like sending the family on vacation?

If you can get your hands on a second Receiver, I think that would be the easiest way forward.
    No ideas here.

During my struggles with a receiver located in a nearby detached garage (say 60' router to receiver through two external walls), and the wifi signal strength at <50% (usually in the 30's)., the rebuffering is exactly what would happen, and it would be periodic (play for a set time, rebuffer, repeat) and once it was in that mode, I would have to go restart LMS, router, etc, can't remember what worked. The other problem was the disconnecting (getting lost) where I would have to factory restart both the receiver and controller.

I have since moved the receiver closer, in a more direct line of sight (using a long RCA cable), and changed the orientation (the top of the receiver is pointing to the router) per this old thread: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...al-Orientation

I now get about 65-75%. I am not in the building all of the time, but I have not had to battle it like I had in the past. I consider the issue solved.

Your post got me curious, so I called up my router settings. This receiver has a TX data rate of as low as 11Mbps and jumps up as high as 36. The Rx data rate seems stable at 18. I have a touch on wifi that is 54Mbps for both, with a signal strength of 90% (read at LMS).

I have an extra receiver laying around, but since it doesn't make sense sending it back and forth across the atlantic, I'd be happy to run some experiments for you. In the mean time, I feel pretty sure that your issue is what alot of people experience - marginal wireless and the receivers inability to handle/recover from network exceptions, weak signals.

Jim

One other thought...

Early on in the thread you mentioned that you could have bought a repeater with an ethernet connection, but decided not to. Perhaps you could buy/test/return one? Amazon is good for that here is the USD. Or, if you have an old router lying around that you could configure as a repeater? Just thinking of options to take the receiver's wifi out of the equation

Jim

You mean like sending the family on vacation?
    Just imagine the quiet...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Early on in the thread you mentioned that you could have bought a repeater with an ethernet connection, but decided not to. Perhaps you could buy/test/return one? Amazon is good for that here is the USD. Or, if you have an old router lying around that you could configure as a repeater? Just thinking of options to take the receiver's wifi out of the equation
    I brought 30 ft of Ethernet cable from the office, today. I'll just dangle them down the staircase directly to the router. My bet is that the problems are WiFi-related and will go away.

30 ft
    Don't encourage them.