Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Receiver keeps disconnecting

My Receiver is giving me headaches. It keeps disconnecting from the server (mysqueezebox or LMS) and won't be reconnected. I have to power-cycle it about once per day, and sometimes several times in a row. The Controller and iPeng have varying rates of success at connecting to the disconnected player. Usually, the LED will be yellow, but sometimes, it is still bright purple when the disconnect occurred while streaming.

Does anybody have any ideas? Could it be a failing power supply, or is a factory reset likely to help?
    SCALEO Home Server 2105 & piCorePlayer 6.1.0 | Logitech Media Server 8.0.0 | Server Power Control 20120716.103808 | Transporter & Duet & Touch & Boom & Radio | Rotel RC-995 & RMB-100 | Nubert NuVero 140

after years of fighting problems with my receivers hanging up, and battling the get them back on line, I have determined that it was because of wifi signal stength. I now have 3 receivers on ethernet and they are rock solid. I have one on wireless that I have improved the signal strength via a better router and recceiver location, and it's mostly ok.

I also tried to give a duet to a non technical friend, located where his wifi was marginal, and took it back and gave up. He bought a used touch, and we moved his router, and it works fine now.

It could be something else for you, but that is what was the cause of my struggles. I have touches, booms and radios that I have not had nearly the struggle I do with receivers. It is mentioned in this forum that the antenna location compromises performance.

One thing I always had to do to get the receiver back online is to reset the receiver AND the controller together: Press and hold rexeiver until fast red flash, power down controller, press and hold '+' while powering controller back up. go through the process of attaching to network, lms, then "choose player" and look for your receiver {edit}. It really doesnt take that long, but is annoying when you have to do it often

hope that helps

Jim
    Last edited by Redrum; 2020-10-27 at 10:37.

Thanks for the response. The Receiver is actually located two meters away from a WiFi repeater, so the signal strength should not be a problem. I tried resetting the Receiver but to no avail. I hate resetting the Controller because I will have to re-enter the 63 character random WiFi password, and the Controller is quite stable since I gave up on activating the playback feature.

Last night, I had consistent problems when trying to stream a 24-bit FLAC album from my LMS, but no trouble at all when streaming the same album from Tidal, which should have made it 16-bit FLAC after conversion on the LMS, so I was tempted to think that it has to do with too high data rates, but then again, this afternoon, the Receiver hung up after I put it on pause on a radio channel.

Had I invested a few coins more, I could try an Ethernet connection to the repeater, but alas ...
    SCALEO Home Server 2105 & piCorePlayer 6.1.0 | Logitech Media Server 8.0.0 | Server Power Control 20120716.103808 | Transporter & Duet & Touch & Boom & Radio | Rotel RC-995 & RMB-100 | Nubert NuVero 140

Quote Originally Posted by mvordeme View Post
    Thanks for the response. The Receiver is actually located two meters away from a WiFi repeater, so the signal strength should not be a problem. I tried resetting the Receiver but to no avail. I hate resetting the Controller because I will have to re-enter the 63 character random WiFi password, and the Controller is quite stable since I gave up on activating the playback feature.

Last night, I had consistent problems when trying to stream a 24-bit FLAC album from my LMS, but no trouble at all when streaming the same album from Tidal, which should have made it 16-bit FLAC after conversion on the LMS, so I was tempted to think that it has to do with too high data rates, but then again, this afternoon, the Receiver hung up after I put it on pause on a radio channel.

Had I invested a few coins more, I could try an Ethernet connection to the repeater, but alas ...
    you could check to make sure it's connected to the repeater and not the distant router. I have not used a repeater but am assuming they have a different ID? Maybe not....

Im not a network guy, but others here have mentioned finding a clear channel for your router/extender with an app like wifi analizer, and then going into your router to set it to that channel rather than auto. I live in a fairly rural area so it's not as big an issue as some places.

You can check wireless signal strength in (from memory) settings->advanced->squeezebox information, or networking, or something like that. I found alot of instability below, say 40% wireless signal strength.

You could also just try an ethernet cable....it would tell you if it's wifi or not.

Not saying your problems are the same as mine, but I bought my first duet in, I think 2007? and bought quite a few receivers for additional rooms along the way, and seemed to be resetting them from time to time. Then the touch and picore player came along, so my receivers are in seldom used zones - garage, basement, patio, and they were always goofy until I ran ethernet cables.

good luck;

Jim

Agree with above. Wire that bad boy if you can.
    Living Room: Pi3 w/Allo Digione Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.0 and SqueezeLite
    Pioneer Elite VSX 80, Parasound 2125 v2
    KEF LS50's, Paradigm SE Center, SVS SB12-NSD Subwoofer, Paradigm Atom v.5 Surrounds
    Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and iPeng
    Dining Room: KEF Q100's
    Bedroom: Logitech Boom
    Porch: Boston Acoustics Voyager Metro II
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz

It's actually Corona which has put me in the same room with the Receiver all day. I could easily have bought a repeater with an ethernet connector, but it seemed like a waste of money at the time. The router's user interface has a "mesh" page which shows that the Receiver is connected to the repeater, and it shows a varying connection speed between 20 and 54 Mbit/s (which should be enough for a 24-bit FLAC). The Squeezebox Information pick from the settings menu currently gives me a wireless strength of 68 %.

I'll think about wiring, or I'll move a different player to my "office". I really like the concept of the Duet, but technically, it is a pain.

I just moved the repeater even closer to the Receiver. The repeater has a good antenna and doesn't appear to mind too much. Signal strength is now at 90 %. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll think about wiring, or I'll move a different player to my "office". I really like the concept of the Duet, but technically, it is a pain.
    I really liked the idea of the small receiver and hand held controller when I bought the Duet way back. I still like and use controllers, despite having phone apps, material skin, etc. I like the cradled "now playing" screen and grab it to, say choose something else, raise volume, etc.

Don't forget any player can take the place of your receiver and still be controlled by the controller. You might want to think of a small picore player with a digi or analog hat as a replacement some day

A couple things I thought about:

1) When my receivers had wifi strength issues there would be allot of "rebuffering". The player could have been playing for days, hours, then I'd be listening to a low bit rate radio station and rebuffering would start. I would switch stations, and even switch to my library (to see if it might be caused by my isp), and it just continued, or, sometimes it just locked up. I usually had to reset the receiver and controller to receiver, then it would be fine.

2) There is a good thread on the duet here: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...15-Duet-set-up The Duet is unique in that both the controller and the receiver communicate with LMS. During setup, the controller communicated directly to the receiver. I had always wondered if the problems are due to the receiver hardware itself, or, is the controller somehow involved. I don't think the controller plays a part though, because wired my receivers play fine.

Jim

So far, the Controller had actually given me more trouble than the Receiver, but without the playback feature, it seems to be stable. I like iPeng, but it is rather demanding on the iPhone battery.

Good news: I have been able to play the entire 24 bit 96 kHz FLAC album without the receiver locking up or even rebuffering. But still, it disconnected again after I had switched it off.

Thanks for pointing me at piCore. I am currently thinking about replacing my LMS with a Pi/NAS combination. The WHS 1 is a little outdated.

Martin

So far, the Controller had actually given me more trouble than the Receiver, but without the playback feature, it seems to be stable. I like iPeng, but it is rather demanding on the iPhone battery.

Good news: I have been able to play the entire 24 bit 96 kHz FLAC album without the receiver locking up or even rebuffering. But still, it disconnected again after I had switched it off.

Thanks for pointing me at piCore. I am currently thinking about replacing my LMS with a Pi/NAS combination. The WHS 1 is a little outdated.

Martin
    The controller issues I have seen are dim display, and unresponsive navigation wheel. The trick for the second problem is to lick your finger (seriously, recommended on this forum). I guess it's not as great a suggestion is todays world.

For control you could use the material skin through a browser: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...light=material . If you are not familiar with it it's real nice, and Craig has done a super job on tuning it based on comments from the community. Once the plug in is installed you just enter http://xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:9000/material/ in your brower url (where x is the ip address of your server). There is a mobile version that I have not tried yet, I think you append a /mobile to the URL. The first post of the thread has a link to a users guide.

I replaced LMS on a windows machine as a server only on a Pi 3B+ and a 2TB hard drive, and love it. I have since built 3 more for others. About $USD50 for the pi, sd, power supply and $USD50 for the HDD. Can't beat it. The combo of picore player and material is a game changer in my mind, the developers did, and continue to do a great job.

Jim