Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCorePlayer - Really easy, it worked! And 1 suggestion

I am looking for a new platform to replace several old Dell DARs.
    I had a Pi Zero W and v2 Google Voice Bonnet, so I loaded up piCorePlayer.
    I didn't have an HDMI display and Keyboard, so I edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file on the SD card after copying - no big deal. Sure enough, it booted. I had to set USB audio, select the AIY Voice Bonnet, and then ssh in to mess with the alsamixer settings, but after 15 min I had good sound on both the AIY speaker and Line out.

THANKS - That was really easy.

I have 1 suggestion (maybe I just need to do this myself). It should be pretty easy to add Wifi configuration option to the startup scripts (like the ESP8266 WiFiManager). That would eliminate the need to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file making the initial startup even easier (at least on a headless WiFi Pi).

I going to get a Allo miniboss DAC to play around with and maybe a TPA3116DS amp board, 5vDC Buck, 24v power brick, and see if I can put it all together in a case. I can buy all of this for under US$90 including tax and shipping.

Thoughts?

BHA

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not familiar with ESP8266 WiFiManager?

How does it enter information into the startup script without a keyboard or screen?

This is pretty typical for IOT devices. See http://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager
    Basically, see if there is an existing configuration, if so use it; otherwise
    Open up an Access Point and allow anybody to joint, offer a piCorePlayer.local web site, and have a simple html page where the user can enter the SSID an password, etc.
    If it can connect, save these values and away we go!
    Ś
    BHA

Thanks for the info.

We have decided not to load zero config software by default in piCorePlayer.

Thanks Greg. I assume if there was a decision then there are reasons.
    As I said, it was not very difficult for me to edit the config on the SD, so I think it is far from a requirement.

Again, great package, thanks!

I assume that one reason is that every new piece of software that goes into pCP has to be put into memory of the device which is using up valuable space.

Thinking aloud though ... one way to do this without using up the memory of a running pCP would be to put the self-hosted WiFi access point code into the boot partition and have it run only if a flag file is missing ... and then have this code create the WiFi config file ... and then have a small script in the main pCP that create the flag file if not present and a network connection is made.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Today in the mail came a new Pi Zero W, and a miniBoss Zero https://allo.com/sparky/miniboss-rpi-zero.html with a little plastic case.

I put piCorePlayer on an SD, set the wifi on the SD, booted up the PI Zero W, selected Allo Boss from the Audio dropdown, saved, rebooted, and - MUSIC!

It just could not be easier! Thanks again to the piCorePlayer team.

Next up I am waiting for a TPA3116D2 board amp, a solid 20v power brick, and a DC Buck to provide 5v for the Pi Zero and miniBoss.

While I wait I may tinker with putting an autoconfig into a first-stage boot if there isn't a saved configuration.
    I agree about not cluttering up the in-memory running system with essentially 1-time use configuration code.

I'll report my progress just in case others are interest.

--
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by bha@offsite.com View Post
    Thanks Greg. I assume if there was a decision then there are reasons.
    I'm not in the development team, but in general they prioritize small rather than features, because it tends towards bloatware. You give it a fingertip, and it ends up ripping your arm off.

In the days of Gigabyte and fullfat GUI's it's impressive that piCorePlayer is a fully functional OS + more, which fits on a 64 MB SD-card. Users are encouraged to add whatever modules they would like to have (and their dependencies). This also implies that we (users) are not bothered with features we don't need.

/Claus
    Last edited by cfuttrup; 2020-10-27 at 13:17.

Plus when we made these decisions the RPi's didn't even have wifi.

This is the dependancy chain

Code:
    avahi.tcz
       libavahi.tcz
          dbus.tcz
             expat2.tcz
             libSM.tcz
             libX11.tcz
                libxcb.tcz
                   libXau.tcz
                   libXdmcp.tcz
          gcc_libs.tcz
          glib2.tcz
             gamin.tcz
             libelf.tcz
             pcre.tcz
                bzip2-lib.tcz
                gcc_libs.tcz
       nss-mdns.tcz
       libdaemon.tcz
    When the image was only about 32MB, adding 4+MB to the image was unreasonable. But now we are at a 128MB image, I suppose it's not unreasonable to add......

Believe me, The image bloat to 128MB over the years is quite painful. All of the RPi boards have contributed to most of that, with 3 kernels/modules needed to support all of the 32bit boards. But including wifi by default now added alot too. Without wifi, the base pCP software is only about 10MB.
    Last edited by paul-; 2020-10-27 at 13:59.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Without wifi, the base pCP software is only about 10MB.
    Ironically, I only use wifi on the smallest (Pi Zero) boards...