Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

piCore Player / SAMBA & Windows 10 - Password permission denied

I have an Rpi3+ all successfully set up with a Allo Boss Dac and a USB HDD with all the music files. ( Sounds great ).
    Even have it also "playing" to two Airport Express, when I want to.

Trying to get the Windows 10 PC to "see" the files on the USB HDD via SAMBA.
    I have all that set up as per the piCore Player Documentation.
    I can see the drive on my MacBook and successfully enter the user "tc" and the password that I set.

BUT same does not work on the Windows PC.
    I have SMB check boxes ticked etc etc
    I assume I have the correct path address as I get the the Enter Network Credentials for user and password.
    No matter I enter the saved password - no access " The user name or password is incorrect".
    Yet the same work on the MacBook ?

Any ideas for the next thing to try ?
    Much appreciated,
    Julian

Make sure you set the workgroup to match your windows machine. Windows is very very picky.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Make sure you set the workgroup to match your windows machine. Windows is very very picky.
    I do have different workgroup names for pCP's SAMBA and Windows and I'm able to access the files from Windows.
    I vaguely remember I had the same error initially and I think I had to configure something in addition in pCP. Unfortunately I don't remember what this was (and currently I don't have access to the system).

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Thanks Paul for the suggestion. I double checked - it's the same workgroup name on both the Picore Samba settings and the Windows PC.
    Still no success.

At someone else's suggestion I did download WinSCP and that can at least transfer music files from the PC to the Raspberry Pi HDD.

Take care - for the most part I hugely amazed at how this all works - I am from an era where vinyl records were placed on a gramophone turntable in the pride of place Living Room.

Julian

Solved for me at least :-)

Aha

I solved the problem by changing a registry key. According to another web search dealing with Raspian,
    there is a registry key that controls what mode of authentication and session security to be used for network logons.
    Loaded registry Editor:-

When down the entries and in -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

Set

LmCompatibilityLevel

at least to three (3)

Rebooted the Windows PC and when I clicked on the network folder it finally accepted my Picore/Samba/"tc" password !

Hurrah - thanks everyone.
    Julian