Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Volume correction and the necessary tags for it?

Hello!

I am managing my whole music with iTunes/Musik on a Mac (i will change to Swinsian shortly, I think). I have a few iOS/iPadOS/tvOS/macOS devices that are using the music.
    Then I have also LMS and my car which are using the same music (parts of it).

iTunes/Music writes tags named "COMMENTS:ITunNORM" with volume correction into the files. These can be interpreted by all Apple devices.
    Then I am using MP3Gain which writes mainly the "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" tag into the files. This is interpreted by the world outside Apple and I hope by LMS and my car.

Does someone here know if the Apple devices also interpret the "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN", so I can stop writing the "COMMENTS:ITunNORM" tag? Or do I have to use both of them?
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    Hello!

I am managing my whole music with iTunes/Musik on a Mac (i will change to Swinsian shortly, I think). I have a few iOS/iPadOS/tvOS/macOS devices that are using the music.
    Then I have also LMS and my car which are using the same music (parts of it).

iTunes/Music writes tags named "COMMENTS:ITunNORM" with volume correction into the files. These can be interpreted by all Apple devices.
    Then I am using MP3Gain which writes mainly the "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" tag into the files. This is interpreted by the world outside Apple and I hope by LMS and my car.

Does someone here know if the Apple devices also interpret the "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN", so I can stop writing the "COMMENTS:ITunNORM" tag? Or do I have to use both of them?
    no. Apple will not interpret the replay gain tags. In dbpa you can add the itunnorm tag at the same time you do RG tagging.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    no. Apple will not interpret the replay gain tags.
    Ok.

In dbpa
    dbpa?
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Ok.

dbpa?
    sorry. Forgot what forum I was on. dBpoweramp cd ripper and converter.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

sorry. Forgot what forum I was on.
    :-) No problem!

dBpoweramp cd ripper and converter.
    Oh, that looks like there is a macOS version that takes use of multicore processors (I have a 10-Core).
    Is it possible with it to just calculate the replay gain?
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Oh, that looks like there is a macOS version that takes use of multicore processors (I have a 10-Core).
    yes. And almost anything else you can do with digital audio.

Foobar is another option and free.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Foobar
    And this also writes both types of tags?
    Are they both analysing the whole songs to calculate the replay gain?
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

And this also writes both types of tags?
    Are they both analysing the whole songs to calculate the replay gain?
    I don't know about Apple tags but both dBpoweramp and Foobar produce the same result for Replaygain in my experience. You can calculate track gain and album gain. Foobar makes it easier to calculate a single album gain value when tracks are split between two or more folders. Give it a try and see what you think.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Give it a try and see what you think.
    Both programs can write both tags. And the result is nearly the same (tested only with a few files).
    But interestingly foobar is writing the tag names in lowercase letters: "replaygain_track_gain" and dBpoweramp is writing a lot more tags an the tagnames are written in uppercase letters (this is the format I normally saw for tags).

Thank you both for your very fast help!
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk