Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

My Lockdown project: 7 Pi's, 6 rooms

Started this project March, and it's now more or less finished. No more Apple, Airplay or iTunes for me...

1 Player/server: Pi3, running PcP and LMS. A connected disk with music files, and a powerboard with remote. Hifiberry Digi+ with powered Argon floor standing speakers.
    1 Controller: Pi4, running Raspbian XFCE, with a Vivaldi browser and a bunch of custom controller and remote scripts. 7 inch touch display.
    1 Pi4 player, hifiberry Digi+, connected to Behringer MS40 monitors. Also has a remote.
    1 Pi3 with Pimoroni PrateAudio Line Out -cute little display- connected to JBL soundsticks. (great sound for a small room)
    1 PiZero with Hifiberry MiniAmp, connected to old Apple (G4 Cube) speakers
    1 PiZero with USB Audio dongle, connected to some small (Logitech!) computer speakers for the bathroom
    1 PiZero, Hifiberry DAC, connected to the speakers in the TV room

Name:  IMG_0435.jpeg
Views: 864
Size:  149.8 KB
    The main player/server and touch controller

Name:  IMG_0433.jpeg
Views: 851
Size:  78.0 KB
    The messy inside

Name:  IMG_0441.jpeg
Views: 856
Size:  133.3 KB
    Working (Still on the old amp here...)

Name:  IMG_0590.jpeg
Views: 844
Size:  119.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0591.jpeg
Views: 849
Size:  104.5 KB
    Player 2
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-10-21 at 14:09.

Name:  IMG_0592.jpeg
Views: 719
Size:  174.8 KB
    Player 3: Old Apple speakers

Name:  IMG_0593.jpg
Size:  112.0 KB
    Player 4: Pirate Display, JBL sticks

Name:  IMG_0620.jpeg
Size:  216.4 KB
    Player 6: Logitech
    Name:  IMG_0621.jpeg
Views: 700
Size:  31.2 KB
    (looks better with the doors closed )
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-10-21 at 14:35.

looks really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by gregklanderman View Post
    looks really nice!
    Thanks! Plays great as well. 👍 Many thanks to the PCP team here.

Thanx for sharing: My Lockdown project: 7 Pi's, 6 rooms

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    Started this project March, and it's now more or less finished. No more Apple, Airplay or iTunes for me...

1 Player/server: Pi3, running PcP and LMS. A connected disk with music files, and a powerboard with remote. Hifiberry Digi+ with powered Argon floor standing speakers.
    Hi Jeroen2, thank you for sharing the pictures and components, great project!
    I assume Argon speakers are connected with digi+ optically @ 24-bit/96kHz, correct?
    Powered speaker with digital input is a very good installation, well-balanced sound and high cost performance...
    LMS 8 on DS916+/918+/920+ as Prod/DR/Dev. Allo DigiOne sig+USBridge, coax to Onkyo DAC-1000S, Nmode X-PW1 mk2 power amps in dual mono, DIY folded horn speakers. Numerous PCPs and cards for tube amp, receiver, powered speakers, DAC or HPA. Semi-retiring TP SE, EDO'd Touch and original SB3.

more details about main player and player 2? what exactly is on the front/rear panels?
    did you design the cases yourself or adapt something you found?

also you left out the controller, show/tell us more please...

thanks
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by firebelli View Post
    Hi Jeroen2, thank you for sharing the pictures and components, great project!
    Thanks!

I assume Argon speakers are connected with digi+ optically @ 24-bit/96kHz, correct?
    Powered speaker with digital input is a very good installation, well-balanced sound and high cost performance...
    Yes, I think active speakers are a sensible choice, especially for a multi-room setup.. The Argon pair is indeed connected through optical and does 24/96. The Behringer set does 24/192, offering great value for money (smaller speakers though). Those are connected through COAX, which I guess in theory allows for a bit more bandwidth..

Quote Originally Posted by gregklanderman View Post
    more details about main player and player 2? what exactly is on the front/rear panels?
    did you design the cases yourself or adapt something you found?
    Both use a power board with remote (the RemotePi). On the main (alu) panel there are the two power buttons, one for the player/server and one for the controller. The first metal button switches on the display and toggles between different screens, the second one has the LED connected to a script that monitors if all players are online, pressing it toggles between "all players" or "main players only".

On the back it's just the power connection, audio out from the Hifiberry and a panel mount ethernet connection.

also you left out the controller, show/tell us more please...
    The controller is just piggy backed to the touchscreen. It's a Pi4, running a Vivaldi browser in Kiosk mode to display LMS Material skin. (there are also other screens -with the remote switching tabs- for full screen cover art or a clock)
    The OS is a full Raspbian, although I guess I could opt to downgrade that now to a more minimal version. The full Raspbian allows to display on-screen notifications (just some basic status messages every now and then), and the screensaver options enable to dim the screen when not used and switch off the screen completely when not used for a longer period of time.

Name:  IMG_0442.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  181.7 KB
    Since it's a regular web browser you can show anything you want on there. :-)
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-10-22 at 00:45.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    Thanks!

Yes, I think active speakers are a sensible choice, especially for a multi-room setup.. The Argon pair is indeed connected through optical and does 24/96. The Behringer set does 24/192, offering great value for money (smaller speakers though). Those are connected through COAX, which I guess in theory allows for a bit more bandwidth..
    jeroen2, thank you for the detail and your insight, totally agree... Stay safe and enjoy!
    LMS 8 on DS916+/918+/920+ as Prod/DR/Dev. Allo DigiOne sig+USBridge, coax to Onkyo DAC-1000S, Nmode X-PW1 mk2 power amps in dual mono, DIY folded horn speakers. Numerous PCPs and cards for tube amp, receiver, powered speakers, DAC or HPA. Semi-retiring TP SE, EDO'd Touch and original SB3.

As we are now getting into week 5 of the second lockdown I decided to redo the project, a bit more neat and a bit more tight. Fitting two Pi's into one box (player, server, touchscreen) and having all cables connect in the back.. A bit of a puzzle and looks like a tight fit..

Name:  IMG_0868.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  103.9 KB

Still a bit of work, but getting there..