Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PiCorePlayer and LMS: External USB

So I've gotten a long way in setting up PiCorePlayer as both a player and LMS server, so far it seems to boot much faster and more reliable than my previous setup (using Volumio). Also the LMS web interface seems a lot faster.

I was wondering though if anyone had any suggestions for the best format for the external USB disk? I am currently using FAT but then I can't move the LMS data away from the SD card. It would be ideal to have that, because then I only would need to backup the USB disk, which would be super easy through Samba.

Also, do I understand it correctly that once I move LMS data to the USB -under the LMS settings tab in the PCP interface- the SD card is only used at boot, allowing PCP and LMS to run from memory, like it does for the player?
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-10-21 at 08:29.

1st off, most never have a problem with the SD card, but your thoughts are correct.

Making a USB stick EXT3/4 is the best option.
    Last edited by paul-; 2020-10-21 at 09:32.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    1st off, most never have a problem with the SD card, but your thoughts are correct.
    Great, thanks.

SD cards have indeed never been a problem for me, but when I started this project (6 months ago during the first lockdown) I had the impression that a lot of people seemed concerned about that.
    But I do like how I can just switch the players off without worrying. And I keep an SD image for every player, so I can restore them easily if needed. It's nice to be able to have one SD backup for the server as well.

Great, if I can move all LMS files to the USB disk (next to the music files) it would be really easy to do a full backup of those over the network once a week.

(that would be my last project then -I guess- because otherwise the system is done and perfect. Would need to go find myself a new hobby for the rest of COVID...)
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-10-21 at 14:18.

Been having some issues with this, which have caused me to loose all LMS settings in PcP...

I first formatted the disk using "sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 -v" (on the PcP command line). Then mounted the disk using the LMS settings page and clicked the "change ownership" button.

Next step I tried to change the LMS files location, which seems to work, since it was copying the files. But then at the next reboot it turns out all the copied files were empty (including the LMS settings file). Of course when I then set the data location back to the SD card it automatically copied all those empty files back to the SD..

And now when I'm starting over, I get this error:
    tc@PiDac:/usr/local/slimserver$ cd prefs/
    -sh: cd: can't cd to prefs/: Permission denied

This is getting a bit frustrating, but I guess I will have to start from fresh again... If you have any suggestions on how to do this better, let me know.

/usr/local/slimserver/prefs is a symlink to the actual location of the prefs. The symlink gets set when LMS starts.

You should not need to do anything manually.

/usr/local/slimserver/prefs is a symlink to the actual location of the prefs. The symlink gets set when LMS starts.

You should not need to do anything manually.
    Yes, I know, I was only using the command line to format the disk and to check on what went wrong.. .

I initially used the buttons in the LMS prefs pane of PCP to change the settings to the USB disk. This gave some errors and LMS stopped. . I then tried to change it back -using the same buttons- to the original location on the SD. LMS again refused to start, and I then discovered all prefs files were zero bytes.. So I assume PCP had copied the empty files back to the SD when I changed it back, so all was gone..

Lesson learned: When I got the error I shouldnt have clicked "move files" when I changed it back.. I guess I now know the difference between the "set location" button and the "move files" button..

I still need to do this exercise again, the new USB disk is too small for the cache files, so I hope it goes better the second time..

I've moved files back and forth many times....Not sure how it went wrong. Unless there was a problem with the USB stick itself.

That being said, set it up that way from the start, and you should be fine. Make sure your stick is quite big, I've seen folks need many GB when rebuilding the library for the cache.

Thanks Paul. I moved it back to the SD card now without a problem.

I think the issue was partly because the mounted disk wasn't big enough (200MB - It was already partitioned that way and I figured that would be enough for "just the settings and some caching" ) But the main issue was access rights, I think. And PcP then copying zero byte files.

My main mistake though was to click "move LMS data" when LMS stopped working. Had I just clicked "Set LMS data" it would have been fine and I wouldn't have erased all settings.

But now I have everything back on a (fairly spacious) SD card, and I discovered that the partition that holds the settings can also very easily be added to Samba. So I can just keep it all there and still do a fully automated weekly backup to my main server. In the end that was all I wanted to achieve. ��
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2020-10-27 at 10:59.

LMS Music on USB only listed under disks and folders?

Apologies if I am listing wrongly.
    I set up my Pi 3b with pCP on a 16GB sd with a 64GB USB feeding 58 GB of music.
    After set up I found the server on the client, but all of the music (albums and tracks) was stored under Disks and Folders.
    My Music headings (new music, albums etc) timed out or came back as empty??
    I could not browse tracks on iPeng either.
    If the USB mount point is case sensitive I can only think I may have used the title music with a capital M.
    This configuration has taken two days and many reflashes. I am hoping that my music collection is not too big to allow the pCP LMS server to function.
    Have i done something wrong or is there a setting I have overlooked??
    Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger l View Post
    Apologies if I am listing wrongly.
    I set up my Pi 3b with pCP on a 16GB sd with a 64GB USB feeding 58 GB of music.
    After set up I found the server on the client, but all of the music (albums and tracks) was stored under Disks and Folders.
    My Music headings (new music, albums etc) timed out or came back as empty??
    I could not browse tracks on iPeng either.
    If the USB mount point is case sensitive I can only think I may have used the title music with a capital M.
    This configuration has taken two days and many reflashes. I am hoping that my music collection is not too big to allow the pCP LMS server to function.
    Have i done something wrong or is there a setting I have overlooked??
    Any help appreciated.
    As you appear to be a newcomer to these forums, we don't know what experience you have. Has LMS scanned your music folder?

Your collection isn't too big, I have 74,000 tracks (750GB) 1TB SSD attached to my pi/pCP, no problems whatsoever.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/AlloBoss DAC HAT/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi