Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Thanks. So if I will never use the Pi as a player, only as a server, I don't need to think about PiCorePlayer at all. I can just go with the Pi OS, install LMS on the Pi and proceed. I assume there are instructions for that.

Similarly, I don't need SqueezeLite if I'm not going to be using the Pi as a player.

The next question is about an external HDD; my 1tb drive is almost full, and I think I will be copying all the content onto a 2tb drive; I'll then need to make it available to the Pi. Any issues with that? Do I need to set up the drive (partition, etc) using the Pi OS, or will it accept a drive set up for Windows?

I feel like such a noob asking what I'm sure are basic questions!

R.
    piCorePlayer would be my suggestion in this circumstance

The next question is about an external HDD; my 1tb drive is almost full, and I think I will be copying all the content onto a 2tb drive; I'll then need to make it available to the Pi. Any issues with that? Do I need to set up the drive (partition, etc) using the Pi OS, or will it accept a drive set up for Windows?
    No special requirements, just plug your drives into the Pi's USB ports.

If you install SAMBA on the Pi (dead easy using the pCP web interface) you can see the drives in Windows explorer and drag & drop files to and fro.

The bottom two drives in the pic below are attached to my pCP/LMS Pi.

Name:  USB drives.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  63.0 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.0 - 74K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.0/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    If you install piCorePlayer, you can disable the player (squeezelite), install LMS and just use the Pi as a server.

If you install piCorePlayer you don't need any Linux skills whatsoever, all set up is done on your PC/laptop/Mac using your usual web browser.

Loads of help and support available in these forums, from the pCP devs and users.
    Okay, that's very helpful. Is there any instance where I might have to have the Pi beside me when engaging it through the network and using my Windows system? I ask, because I will be having the Pi sitting beside the router in my basement utility room, two floors away from where I usually work. Of course, I could probably just use my wifi-connected laptop, duh! Or even my current server, with it's own keyboard and monitor which is down there already. So, I think I have my answer.

I'm still not sure about the HDD, connected directly to the Pi, but perhaps that is obvious (to others at least). Edit: Just saw the previous post, and I still am not sure -- can I set up the drive in my customary way, copy all the files to it, and then just plug it into the Pi?

I'd been thinking of buying the kit here, although it is probably overkill if I don't need a monitor and is a little pricey. OTOH, it's a pretty cool setup, with the little monitor serving as the Pi's case.

Is there any reason to get more than 2gb, aside from purely hypothetical future use?

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2020-10-14 at 13:46.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I prefer to attach my USB HDD directly to my pCP RPi.

I have never had a monitor or keyboard attached to my pCP LMS. Headless from the very beginning!

Okay, that's very helpful. Is there any instance where I might have to have the Pi beside me when engaging it through the network and using my Windows system? I ask, because I will be having the Pi sitting beside the router in my basement utility room, two floors away from where I usually work. Of course, I could probably just use my wifi-connected laptop, duh! Or even my current server, with it's own keyboard and monitor which is down there already. So, I think I have my answer.

I'm still not sure about the HDD, connected directly to the Pi, but perhaps that is obvious (to others at least). Edit: Just saw the previous post, and I still am not sure -- can I set up the drive in my customary way, copy all the files to it, and then just plug it into the Pi?

I'd been thinking of buying the kit here, although it is probably overkill if I don't need a monitor and is a little pricey. OTOH, it's a pretty cool setup, with the little monitor serving as the Pi's case.

Is there any reason to get more than 2gb, aside from purely hypothetical future use?

R.
    Yes, you can set up your drives on Windows and copy your files to them, then transfer the drive(s) to your Pi. As you can see in the picture all my drives are formatted NTFS just as I received them.

You don't need all that kit, just a Pi, power supply, and micro SD card, 8 or 16GB is ample.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.0 - 74K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.0/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

If you still need help, this thread covers the basics of setting up a Raspberry Pi and getting it connected to your network:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...iFiBerry-board

Once completed, use the piCorePlayer web interface to install LMS and point it to your external drive.

I found this page about setting up a USB hard drive with pCP. Somewhat non-trivial.

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

I found this page about setting up a USB hard drive with pCP. Somewhat non-trivial.

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/

R.
    Certainly not trivial, but I think you'll find it's very do-able. Especially with step-by-step instructions. But if you want things to go well, it helps a lot to read through the material before you start.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

RonM, one of the pluses in using Picoreplayer is that unlike most OSs the underlying Core Linux runs from RAM, the sd card is unmounted after booting.
    Every power cycle is a fresh copy of the OS, prolonging the life of the SD card and producing an appliance like system. I run my media server on an UPS as here in rural France the mains power often responds with a shrug
    Not so the players, they take things as it rolles, and if something goes awry then its: shutdown - mains-lead and away they go.

bonne chance Strebor

Ron;

I know nothing about Linux, but have setup 4 PiCore Players as servers with attached USB HDD for my library, basically as a replacement for a windows machine running LMS. Its very easy, but as I learned it there were a few questions that the forum members and pCP team were happy to answer.

The new documentation page the pCP team setup, and the "How To" pages are what I used with a few questions along the way (mentioned in previous posts).

Basically I used a Pi 3B+, attached a 2TB WB HDD (not SSD, but you could), installed PcP, disabled squeezelite (server only), Installed LMS, Set a USB mount for the HDD, Installed Samba to allow network access to the HDD, then setup a network drive on my PC to allow the PC to access/manipulate the files on the HDD just like any other PC or network drive.

So, to address your questions regarding access to the HDD, Samba and the establishment of a network location allows me to use the HDD as if it's connected to the PC. I have two "homes". I keep a copy of the library on the PC HHD at each location, and use freefilesync to sync the library on the pCP with the library on the PC. I use the PC as the master library, so when I add new music, I add it to the PC, freefilesync to the pCP, then rescan LMS.

One other thing I do it via samba, I use the pCP HDD as a backup for other PC files - pictures, documents, etc. I use freefilesync to sync those as well. So, with two locations, I have personal important files residing on 4 HDD's. I should be set

I have an electronics and programming background, and this winter I plan on dabbling/learning some more with a basic pi, but the pCP is a great out of the box, "it just works" solution. The team and community are to be commended. For $100USD I have a stand alone music server with 2TB of storage, including a backup. How can you beat that?

my two cents

Jim