Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    I have two 3's and one 4. One of the 3's runs as a server/player, the 4 only runs as a player. I found that 4 is consistently 10 degrees warmer than the 3's, but still well within acceptable levels (55 max, running in a closed case, but with a cooler rib on the CPU).
    Wouldn't it be better to run the Pi4 as the server?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have two 3's and one 4. One of the 3's runs as a server/player, the 4 only runs as a player. I found that 4 is consistently 10 degrees warmer than the 3's, but still well within acceptable levels (55 max, running in a closed case, but with a cooler rib on the CPU).
    I have 3 Pi's on my desk here. A Pi4/4GB is my LMS server and runs slightly cooler than the 2 Pi3's. The Pi4 Flirc case is fanless and highly recommended. pCP temp graphs below.

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articl...-4-case-review

Name:  Pi4server.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  223.7 KB

Name:  AlloBoss.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  Pi3screen.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  161.9 KB
    Server - LMS 8.0.1 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP v7.0.0b6 - 74K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.0b6/pi screen/Allo Boss DAC Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Okay, one more pre-purchase question.

I'll be getting a Pi4 kit; a basic starter kit (board, ventilated case, SD card with NOOBS, power supply, hdmi cable, etc), which costs just $10 more than the 3B+ corresponding kit, and comes with 2gb RAM and a 32gb card (3B+ has 1 gb RAM and a 16gb card, and a slower processor).

The question is, is there any reason why I'd want to upgrade to 4gb RAM? I occasionally have a brief fantasy that I might want to play with the device in ways other than as a music server, although I suppose that is unlikely.

r.
    Not a direct answer to your question, but a couple of comments that may help someone. I'm no Linux expert, although I have learned a small number of things on the way. The key one being that piCorePlayer enables me to successfully build and run a Raspberry Pi based music system almost completely through a GUI. I'm continually amazed at the quality of the work the team have produced.

I've ended up with LMS running 24/7 on a Pi 3B with a 2TB HDD drive plugged in to the USB, powered by its own mains power supply. The disc was previously connected to a PC running LMS. The music server sits in a cupboard where I rarely touch it, or even open the door. So for me it wasn't worth spending Pi 4 money, and cheap used Pi 3s are easy enough to come by. And having got rid of the PC that used to run VortexBox 24/7, my power bill has dropped $20 a month making the Pi one of the few things that really has paid for itself.

When my Squeezebox Duet started to die, I bought a HiFiBerry HAT ("Hardware Attached on Top") which plugged in to the Pi 3 and produces better analog sound than the Duet, plus it puts out a digital stream exactly as the Duet did. That was up and running within ten minutes of the postie delivering it.

One tip you'll soon come across with a Pi 4 is that one should not skimp on the power supply.

Happy experimenting!
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to run the Pi4 as the server?
    Yes, but then I also need to swap out the power supplies, which are connected through a RemotePi switch. (I had built the server case first, and would need to redo that whole project to accommodate the different button size for the Pi4 version of that switch...)

That'll be my next project if I get bored again. :-)

Yes, but then I also need to swap out the power supplies, which are connected through a RemotePi switch. (I had built the server case first, and would need to redo that whole project to accommodate the different button size for the Pi4 version of that switch...)

That'll be my next project if I get bored again. :-)
    but then, there is always "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"...right? That was really my question, I have built 3B+ servers and they do everything I ask of them, am I missing something with a 4? It seems maybe like nothing significant, and the decision is a matter of using the latest and greatest hardware for a minimal extra investment when building new. But, no need to replace my current 3B+ with 4's, similar for you

But that is actually good news, that pCP will run on most pi's, right?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    but then, there is always "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"...right? That was really my question, I have built 3B+ servers and they do everything I ask of them, am I missing something with a 4? It seems maybe like nothing significant, and the decision is a matter of using the latest and greatest hardware for a minimal extra investment when building new. But, no need to replace my current 3B+ with 4's, similar for you
    The 3 works fine for me. I think the main difference with the 4s is that the processors are slightly faster and they (can) have more memory. Also the USB could make a difference, with USB 3 for the external disk with music files, and Ethernet completely separate (I try to run on wired network as much as I can to avoid the already overcrowded WIFI network here).

My 3B also does everything (UI very responsive and music playing without a stutter ever) but uploading and editing music files through Samba sometimes gets a bit slow..

But that is actually good news, that pCP will run on most pi's, right?
    Sure, I have PiZero's as players, doing fine. And I bet you could probably even run a server on a Zero as well, if you really wanted to...

I ran LMS on the original RPi1 with 256MB RAM for years. On my rather basic system it streamed 44.1 WAV music fine. Other functions were slow but hey it worked!

I have a Pi Zero running LMS8 with files on a USB hard drive. Works pretty well.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

I note that some of the cases sold for Pi4 use actually have a teensy fan accelerating air movement out of the box through the top vents. Some heat problems have been reported, but for the most part these seem to be in fully enclosed boxes, no significant vents. Wouldn't probably be an issue if the boxes were aluminum, instead of plastic. For the simple task of running LMS, I wouldn't think the processor load would be enough to generate significant heat, and suspect that the ventilated box without the fan would be just fine.

I won't be getting any significant power savings, as the current server (FitPC3) is low power and fanless.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I note that some of the cases sold for Pi4 use actually have a teensy fan accelerating air movement out of the box through the top vents. Some heat problems have been reported, but for the most part these seem to be in fully enclosed boxes, no significant vents. Wouldn't probably be an issue if the boxes were aluminum, instead of plastic. For the simple task of running LMS, I wouldn't think the processor load would be enough to generate significant heat, and suspect that the ventilated box without the fan would be just fine.

I won't be getting any significant power savings, as the current server (FitPC3) is low power and fanless.

R.
    I think the Flirc case for the Raspberry Pi4 is designed exactly as you suggest, though I haven't used a Pi4 myself yet. Amazon sell them.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi Zero/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick